Need Advice about gear swap

blackramsrt-10

Reaction score
I have an 04 with the 4:10 gears, I just drive mine once in a while just to play around, go to cruise in's, and once in a while track day, i am going to change the rear gear and i am debating the 4:56 but i think for what i use it for i would enjoy the 4:88's more, what do you guys think

Need Advice about gear swap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an 04 with the 4:10 gears, I just drive mine once in a while just to play around, go to cruise in's, and once in a while track day, i am going to change the rear gear and i am debating the 4:56 but i think for what i use it for i would enjoy the 4:88's more, what do you guys think
#2838 of 3057

Well, besides my Stage2 Flash, we have similar mods. I've got 4.56's and love them, and have no doubt 4.88's would be a touch better, but I'm getting close to the point where I'm starting to push Redline in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile. Right now w/ 4.56's, 118mph is about it in 4th gear. I figure I should be over 110 with my current mods, but I keep the hammer planted all the way through the traps - so probably closer to 115 (in reality) by the time I let off the gas.

I'm also planning a Centerforce/Lightwieght Flywheel in the future, which in theory, should give me a bit more MPH.

All I am saying is figure out exactly what you want to do as far as mods go, so that you can choose the gear which best suits you. It would suck to get the 4.88's, only to run out of RPM's in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile and need to shift into 5th(overdrive) ---> Which would most likely slow your ET's.:(

I'm pretty sure there's a Sticky at the top of this section which explains max speed in each gear for different ratios.

blackramsrt-10 said:
I would go with the 4:88's There is no way you will be winding it up to high with the Double overdrive trans. Mine runs at 1500 rpm at 75 mph in sixth.
That is turning over very slow. The 4:88's are the way to go, just remember you will spin the tires Much easier.
Just my two cents,
500H V10

While I think that I would like the 4.88's,I know I will like the 4.56's.I drive the truck as much as possible and that includes some highway miles( the 4.88's 'might' be a little "buzzy",from the higher rpms).The loss of 2mpg and shifting a LOT swayed me from the 4.88's.Not sure if I will gain or lose mileage on the 4.56's or stay about the same.If I decide to go with a turbo or supercharger the 4.56's will work better for that also.I can always go with the 4.88's next year if I feel that I need (or want) them bad enough.Just my.02:D

I really feel 4:88's are the way to go with a NA motor and mods. I don't see a stock motor with mods going over 112 in the 1/4 mile! If you do hit the rev limiter, it will be very close to the end of the track and i don't think it will take to much time off of your ET!!

The 4:88's keep your truck in the RPM sweet spot, no bog, exept for first gear as you are gonna spin more!!:D :D Also it makes it much more clutch friendly!!!

If your gonna go with a Sc, Turbo or NOS stick with the 4:56's.

i'll be keeping close tabs on this thread, because i'm trying to decide also!:dontknow: (if only patrick would take his truck to the track, or at least give us his driving impressions!):burnout: any body tell me without a doubt how much better in the 1/4 are 4:88s' over 4:10s'? as most of us here i'm only interested in straight line quickeness, i don't care how many times i have to shift!:rock:

SANCHOBA said:
i'll be keeping close tabs on this thread, because i'm trying to decide also!:dontknow: (if only patrick would take his truck to the track, or at least give us his driving impressions!):burnout: any body tell me without a doubt how much better in the 1/4 are 4:88s' over 4:10s'? as most of us here i'm only interested in straight line quickeness, i don't care how many times i have to shift!:rock:

hahahaha!!!!

I love the 4.88's. Yes you do shift more but.......as stated above your in the rpm sweet spot all the fricken time!!! I use 5th gear everyday through town. Yes you do loose about 2 mpg but who really cares that much. As far as the track goes, I am not going till I add the computor upgrade later this year.

Driving through parking lots is much easier now and yes you do spin the tires way easier!!! Everytime I have punched it WOT in first gear (after the clutch is out) rpms hit 3k and BAM tires go up in smoke way more than before. The truck feels much lighter and faster out of the hole.

Overall I really dig this mod. Marc T has had both so his input is very valuable for you guys trying to make up your minds.

patrick

SANCHOBA said:
Marc T has an excellent point...if you do not intend to spray or add boost, 4:88 is the ticket, but the shift into fifth is a real liability in straight line quickness, when you have gone beyond normal aspiration...with more boost you really need longer gears when running the quarter mile...

It is like a lot things in life,there isn't a right or wrong,it is more of a "what will work better for the intended use?" question.I will likely never go to the track with my truck,so the mpg issue is more important to me.

HOT RAM said:
It is like a lot things in life,there isn't a right or wrong,it is more of a "what will work better for the intended use?" question.I will likely never go to the track with my truck,so the mpg issue is more important to me.

I really havn't noticed much change in my MPG, However my highway driving is usally in 6th. Most intertstates on the mainland are 65-70 MPH. With 4:10's the truck felt like it was lugging in 6th. Now with the 4:88's it is running just under 2000 rpm in 6th and it feels like it is where it should be!! JMO!!:p

How much is a set of 4.88 gears going for and which vendor has the best price?:rock:

Guys i sure do appreciate the input, you've made my mind up its going to be the 4.88, i don't care about gas mileage, again i say THANKS

As far as gas mileage is concerned, the difference between 4.56's and 4.88's should be close to nil.

Earlier this year I took a trip to a dragstrip in Maryland - ~75-80 miles down the road. We spent the majority of the time on I95/I495 @ 65-70 mph. On my very first run, I snapped my shifter handle, so my racing was over for the day, but that also means my time at WOT was very limited on that tankful of gas. Anyway, we cruised home later that day (and only hit 125 once on an empty section of road;) ). I filled up the next day and realized that I got about 17mpg, with the 4.56's. IMO, that really ain't too bad for this truck, and I really can't see the 4.88's (a couple hundred more rpm's) making it any worse on the highway.:dontknow:

Personally, with the 2004 SRT's, I think the second best thing about getting gears is actually being able to use 6th gear!

Last edited:
Hamrhead said:
Personally, with the 2004 SRT's, I think the second best thing about getting gears is actually being able to use 6th gear!

I actually do use 6th gear now. Before I had never actually needed to use it.

Unitrax is THE vendor for gears. Gears are about $400, but you will want to get the bearing kit as well for another $30-$50. Ask for Devin.

patrick

I wish I had the chance to drive each before deciding,but that isn't likely to happen.Anything has got be better than the 4.10's !!!!!!!!!!Maybe next year I will try the 4.88's !!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back