Need Job Advice

I am a post ho fo sho so it happens :D

Join the military or go to college. Either way in order to make good money you need an education and or experience. The military can give you both and college can get you one and help you with the other.

What do you really want to do, work in a custom shop and be an expert tradesman or get involved in the business side of it ?

Do either of those match up to the lifestyle you would like to have or aligns with what you think is 'comfortable' ?

If you are not sure and have no other means you can join the military for a few years an get some decent $ for school. If you do go that route, then would recommend choosing a job that you could apply to something outside the military.

If you can swing a few grants, school loans etc, then would bypass it and concentrate on your trade.

It doesnt sound like your night school aligns with your career goals :dontknow:

Any local shops you dream of working at ? Go in an meet with them and see if you can work out a deal for an apprenticeship. Will have to do the dirty work for awhile before it pays off but the reward can be greater.

To reduce initial stereotyping, wear long sleeve shirts and leave the piercing at home. At least until your employer can evaluate you for your contribution vs your image.

BlackViperRam04 said:
Join the military or go to college. Either way in order to make good money you need an education and or experience. The military can give you both and college can get you one and help you with the other.

Black Viper, you're the man. Great suggestion! :rock:

Although I am in the recruiting business, I am not the type of recruiter that you would need to deal with because I only deal with Prior service types (Marines).

Even if the civilian sector has not become more accepting of tattoos/piercings, the military has. How ironic is that? Anyway, IMO there is not a better way to find direction, education and money than the military. Hell, depending on what branch you choose, it might not even seem like you're in the military at all. Not to offend anyone here but I have some friends in the Air Force that say it's the closest thing to working in a civilian company that you can find. On top of that you have all of the benefits (30 days paid leave per year, full medical/dental, very cheap life insurance, free education and training, etc).

It really couldn't hurt to go talk to a recruiter, man.

GySgt USMC said:
Black Viper, you're the man. Great suggestion! :rock:

Although I am in the recruiting business, I am not the type of recruiter that you would need to deal with because I only deal with Prior service types (Marines).

It really couldn't hurt to go talk to a recruiter, man.

I am not a recruiter either, I am in the navy. I am a nuclear engineer. There is VERY good money in what I do. I actually just re-enlisted for 2 years and received a $100,000 bonus...TAX FREE...for only 2 years!!! There is money to be made in the military. As far as what the Gunny said, I know a few people in the air force who don't work very hard at all and they have all kinds of time to go to college while they are getting paid and getting most of their school paid for.

"I am not a recruiter either, I am in the navy. I am a nuclear engineer. There is VERY good money in what I do. I actually just re-enlisted for 2 years and received a $100,000 bonus...TAX FREE...for only 2 years!!!"

nice..and you get a nice GLOWING tan to boot...lol

I would have to agree!

I got after 10 years (Navy) and don't regret getting out. However, joining the military was the best thing I could have done for myself! The experience, the knowledge, the training and the things you will learn about yourself are irreplaceable!!!
Even if you don't go in full time, the national guard and reserves have great programs for school!

Check it out, you can't lose!

I joined the Air Force when I was 18..I didnt have a high school diploma but did have a GED. When I was picking jobs, all the guys with diplomas got taken first. I ended up as an EOD tech (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Had alot of fun doing all sortsa crazy stuff,(blowing stuff up, etc.), and dont regret any of it. When I got out, There were only a few options for my skills, so I took a building maintenance job. This has evolved into something good for me..great job, decent money, and most importantly, I LOVE going to work every day. Im a Maintenance Supervisor for a Pharmacuetical Co.
This is the key: Find something you love to do, and stick with it. I would do my job for a whole lot less if I had to. It is not all about money.

I haven't been able to read all the posts because the site is so slow, but you have received some good advice from what I can see.

Find something you enjoy and become good at it. The money will follow it you are good at it. If it takes education to do it, go get it. You are still young and have many years to make a living. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few years to reach that final goal.

I have a love/hate relationship with my job. I'm doing something that has never been done before which I love. I hate the long hours that comes of that. If it wasn't a challange I would be retired tomorrow.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks guys i appreciate the ideas and help, ill keep looking and hopin for a new job some where, i almost went military but im needed at home and well each time i went to enlist my family well lets just say its not an option for me but a good idea i agree. Just gotta keep hoping for a chance to start somewhere and get a start at a career.

Get that crap out of your eyebrow, Go to the best car dealership in your area, work hard, make from 70,000 to 125,000 yearly selling cars.
(Long Hours, many weekends)

Selling cars... That might be something I would be interested in doing for a little while... I mean hell, half the time I'm wearing Dodge or SRT clothing as it is anyway... and it'd be a good way to better my speaking & people skills

I agree with what these guys are saying about the military, but since that is not an option for you, here is my advise. Keep doing what you do. Learn to do it well. Find a better employer in your field who can keep you busy. Remember, a steady, smaller paycheck is better than a larger, but unreliable paycheck. You are taking this advise from a guy who spent 11 years as a carpenter. Once you have gained a reliable payday, begin to put some money away. It may take a few years, but when you have money in the bank, your options really begin to open up. Be Patient, be patient, be patient. The people around you that you see as sucessful have spent years, sometimes decades at their chosen profession to become what they are today. It takes time and dedication. Have long-term goals that are attainable, yet challenging and a few that are nearly impossible to reach. This will keep you motivated and driven. Re-evaluate these goals and how best to approach them at every fork in the road. There are only two ways to become successful no matter what your education level or life experience. The first is luck(win the lottery, invest in the next microsoft), the second, more common way, is to work hard and smart toward a goal or goals for years and years and years and years. Even Bill Gates worked his ass off for years before he made his first million. It takes time.
Lastly, re-evaluate your appearance and decide how it affects where you want to go. People all want to be individual, employers want to hire robots. Somewhere in the middle is reality. If you truly want to get a "normal" job you will have to fit in. Would you want the doctor who is operating on your heart to to be covered in tattoos, shaved head with a 10" goatee and peircings all over his face? Probably not. Doesn't mean he couldn't do the job, he just doesn't fit what you would stereotype as a good doctor. This is how a prospective employer evaluates you when it comes time to hire.

I hope this all helps.

Greg

The first step is asking.

The next step is doing something about it. It is very easy to come up with excuses. I have no idea about your personal life but in order for you to make a change in your life you will have to look seriously at what is holding you back. Setup up a short and long term plan towards where you want to be.

If you like the trade you have now, I would take Greg's advice and change companies or hold out and learn everything they are willing to teach you and then move on if things haven't changed.

If you want to take on a totally different occupation, then you might have to change your appearance as Fatjack nicely commented about your eyebrow.

All in all, there is no easy path. As a friend told me once, 'Just do it!'

Mike, for what it's worth, here is what I tell many of my students, and I have had many come back over the years and tell me that the advice was right...not always taken, but in retrospect still pretty good advice.

The philosophy is to do your homework first...research the best respected companies in your geographical area...there are organizations that rate employers and you will have some that are highly rated in your area. Narrow the list of companies that do things that you admire and respect. Then narrow the list a little farther to companies that have positions that you would love to have, considering your skills and aptitudes.

Focus on the company that intrigues you most. Don't get discouraged. Take any position in that firm that you can get...if it is a good company that respects its employees, your skills and ability will be recognized soon enough.

The concept is pretty simple...find a truly great company...get into that company in any capacity you can...and then work your butt off. If it truly is a great firm they will never let you continue below your optimum contribution level. They will make sure you get the training you need to progress...

If you are looking for a job that is what you will get...if you are looking for an organization that you can commit to, that will become a career.

PM me if I can help with more details. Go for it! But go in the right direction, toward a career, not a job.

And I have to say this...no matter what continue the quest for that degree, because I am

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back