Need legal advice about child support and taxes

i have been paying child support for over 9 years and she has just now let me start claiming our son.

we have a mutual agreemant on this.

our court papers state that we have joint custody with her having domain custody. she legally can claim him but just recently has let me do it.

child support is like calling womens support they dont help the man out at all. that cant force her to give you your rights but they sure as hell can take you to jail if you dont pay. sheesh............... i have 7 1/2 years to go.

Child support is the same as raising your children. The only deducting is the exemption on your taxes. Nothing for the actual cost of raising a child. Whom ever the child lives with 51% of the time is the winner. A lousy analogy but if you own two homes the primary is the one you live in 51% or more. bobbymac

I dont have an answer to your dilema Scott...but to those that are against child support or mad about it...

...when I was younger, my mom was struggling to take care of my brother and I. My dad made decent money, but, not alot. When he did pay child support she made sure to buy my brother and I something nice and tell us my dad paid child support.

She hated my father....but she did it right. Every situation is different but maybe your ex isnt telling you what she is telling your kids (i.e. telling them you love them vs. beating you down verbally in front of them). Give them the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes, the hardest part is swallowing some pride and admitting that whether you know it or not, your children are being taken care of.

.02.....thats all.:)

I'm on a roll now.
Many moons ago I married a woman that came with a 2 1/2 year old son. Her X had to pay child support. When Ken was 16 He wanted his name changed to my last name. And so it was done. As I felt I had adopted him I told his mother to tell his father he no longer had to pay child support.

Many years later it was time to have a will drawn up. "And to my son Kenny I leave?" That is when my wife had to drum it into my Juvenile brain that I really had not adopted Kenny and the will could be contested.

I asked my son what he thought about it. His answer made my life worth living. Who cares DAD........ the rambler

KRAZYSRT10 said:
I dont have an answer to your dilema Scott...but to those that are against child support or mad about it...

...when I was younger, my mom was struggling to take care of my brother and I. My dad made decent money, but, not alot. When he did pay child support she made sure to buy my brother and I something nice and tell us my dad paid child support.

She hated my father....but she did it right. Every situation is different but maybe your ex isnt telling you what she is telling your kids (i.e. telling them you love them vs. beating you down verbally in front of them). Give them the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes, the hardest part is swallowing some pride and admitting that whether you know it or not, your children are being taken care of.

Thanks for your input Kris.

I am not bashing child support, and not really bashing the ex. I know my kids are well taken care of, and that the majority of the money that I send goes toward daycare for the twins right now. I tell her that I think she does a good job of caring for the kids, and the last time we talked face-to-face I even told her that I knew her new husband was being good to the kids too, otherwise they would not call him dad. (That's very tough to hear btw) The next sentence was something like, there I said it, now if I never have to hear or speak his name again, that will be just fine with me.(He is one of the men that she was sleeping with behind my back)

I don't want to stop paying child support, I just would like to be able to claim the kids every other year and get back a little of the money that she enjoys!

Oh, and for the record, my oldest son knows how much I pay, and knowing that has made a big difference in our relationship.

Thanks for the input everybody, divorce is a nasty thing, and I will not go through it again!

In my case I claimed the alimony I paid this year. Child Support is not deductible. I get to claim my daughter this year though as it is part of my divorce decree. I do however have to have her sign form 8332 and I sign and file 053L. If she were to refuse to sign even though I have the legal right to file, I am not sure what my options would be. I guess a lawyer visit at $240.00 an hour?

My Mother was adopted

KRAZYSRT10 said:

No child support back then ( 1920's) My grandma did the best she could. My Mom lived on to raise seven children. I am one of them.

Thank you for writing about a part of your life. Its not all about these trucks we own. bobbymac

I get to claim my son every other year and it is in the divorce papers. I claimed him last year, but I ran into the problem of not being able to file head of household. I had to prove I paid the majority of his expenses. I did not have any receipts or even know how I could prove it. So I lost out on some money there.

1sicponi said:
Child support is the same as raising your children. The only deducting is the exemption on your taxes. Nothing for the actual cost of raising a child. Whom ever the child lives with 51% of the time is the winner. A lousy analogy but if you own two homes the primary is the one you live in 51% or more. bobbymac

NOT true in all cases as stated in prior posts..

most states will have there own rule ,,i paid for 18 years ,,,i live in texas but i had to go by the rules in illinois for the child support payments ,,and when i had to go to court for it i had to go to illinis for the dates ,,,was rough for a while ,,,best to always get it on paper you have right to claim ,,,freindly agreements are nice but 3 or 4 years from now they can claim they never gave you a freindly agreement ,,,had freind got slapped hard by irs for just the same thing ,,,peace out

ntw0rk said:
Is that just a friendly agreement?

My ex has claimed all three of my (our) kids since the divorce, and I don't think it is fair! Especially considering what I pay her in Child support!:eek::eek:
in the state of florida it doesnt matter how much child support u pay,the custodial parent is allowed to file ,unless u have in the divorce agreement otherwise

ntw0rk said:
I miss my ex.... But my aim is getting better! :D:D:D

HAHA I told my wife you ever bring up the D word Ill bring it up as well
She said divorce I said you wanna go to the desert :)
Been happily married since.

i look at it this way i traded in my ex wife for a younger model ,,,plus she ended up marring a bum just makes my day every time i think about it :elefant: after my child support payments were up now they are about to loose their house :elefant:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back