Need new inner tie rods

So the mystery continues..

Got under the truck to see whats going on. The attached photo shows the new inner tie rod next to the stock inner tie rod thats currently on the truck. What gives??!!??

I don't understand why my stock inner tie rod is different that an OEM replacement matched to my VIN. Anyone able to shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_6836.jpg
    IMG_6836.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 97
I'm in the same boat as you with my truck. Moog parts work with Moog parts. I talked to the dealership I get all my parts from and asked if I could get inner and outer tie rods and he said I have to get a new rack and pinion cause it comes with the inner and outer tie rods on it. And that's as far as I got cause I've already tried everything you have before I seen this post.

Could your rack & penut have been replaced with the wrong one? (Prior to you owning the truck)

I am fairly new with these trucks, but could it be an issue of an early 06 truck with 05 parts? I had a early 98 Camaro that was fitted with all types of 97 parts. 98 was the year they changed the body style. I was constantly bringing parts back to the store that wouldn't fit. The car actually had a 97 computer in it mounted under the hood on firewall when all the 98s were supposed to be inside in the passenger area under the glove box. When I looked, there was even a empty computer hanger assembly mounted inside.

Both of you fellows could be right because I just got Rock Auto and looked up the same parts for a 05 model and the mopar inner tie rod looks just like the we got on ours and plus they offer mopar outer for the 05 unlike how they don't offer a mopar outer for the 06

I purchased my truck brand new from the dealership so I know the rack has not been changed. I checked out the 05 inner tie rods on Rockauto and yep it looks like what I have.

Would the rack and pinion have a serial # or some other kind of identifier that would trace it being a 2005 v 2005?

Last edited:
Well I ordered 05 parts from the dealership today. They had the outer in stock and they were the same as ours. I'm waiting for the inner to come in tomorrow to see if everything thing matches up and I'll you know if everything is good to go.

If it truly is a situation of previous year parts on your truck. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't others!! (With my Camaro) I could never find a list of what all these off year parts were. I found them as I fixed things and there were quite a few!!
most engine sensors, front brake pads and calipers, ecu, tie rod ends, to name a few.
Maybe someone else will chime in that may have more information on this.

Just to let you know the 05 parts work. So here are the part numbers you need:
Inner tie rod 68032244AA
Outer tie rod 5073582AD

Thanks TrailMix, glad to have this issue over with soon. Going to order them today but got to find the Rockauto discount code first!

Update: the 2005 inner tie rods fit, confirming that Dodge did indeed put an 05 rack on my truck. Now with the new rods and the bump steer kit on, the truck it a little more "tight" to drive/turn and doesn't move all over the lane like before.

Update: the 2005 inner tie rods fit, confirming that Dodge did indeed put an 05 rack on my truck. Now with the new rods and the bump steer kit on, the truck it a little more "tight" to drive/turn and doesn't move all over the lane like before.

To bad they did not include 05 headlights.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back