Need new valve spring and pushrod.. ASAP!!

atagaveq.jpg

ve9a4uvu.jpg

y4ytu3e6.jpg

byhurebu.jpg

y9e4a5aj.jpg

erenysut.jpg

Cosmetic damage to the piston only.. Very good news. New valve, spring, seal, keepers already installed on head. New head gasket, exhaust gaskets waiting. Tomorrow will start reassembly. Only took 5 hrs work to get to this point. I'm really surprised how easily this is going.. No jinx allowed however!!

Anyhow, don't know what was going on earlier with all of the animosity, but hopefully you guys recognize that I am not simply doing shoddy work so I can get rid of the truck. This is a normal repair, that I would do on a truck I were keeping if I didn't have the money to upgrade cam and heads in the process.

To those people who may be afraid to tackle a project like this, just jump in! Do your research, and get the right tools, but don't pay someone $3k to do a weekends worth of work.

/r
Jeremy

Just started taking my exhaust manifolds off today, kinda a pain breaking the bolts free, any recommendations bud?? Thanks.........

The three on the collector, or the studs in the head?

The three on the bottom MUST be soaked with a good penetrating oil for a couple of hours before you twist the tabs off of the back of the nuts. Then you can put a 17 mm open wrench on the square nuts to hold them while you loosen the bolts. Make sure when you put them or headers back on that you replace the bolts with something that is much easier to deal with.

atagaveq.jpg

ve9a4uvu.jpg

y4ytu3e6.jpg

byhurebu.jpg

y9e4a5aj.jpg

erenysut.jpg

Cosmetic damage to the piston only.. Very good news. New valve, spring, seal, keepers already installed on head. New head gasket, exhaust gaskets waiting. Tomorrow will start reassembly. Only took 5 hrs work to get to this point. I'm really surprised how easily this is going.. No jinx allowed however!!

Anyhow, don't know what was going on earlier with all of the animosity, but hopefully you guys recognize that I am not simply doing shoddy work so I can get rid of the truck. This is a normal repair, that I would do on a truck I were keeping if I didn't have the money to upgrade cam and heads in the process.

To those people who may be afraid to tackle a project like this, just jump in! Do your research, and get the right tools, but don't pay someone $3k to do a weekends worth of work.

/r
Jeremy

Don't forget bolts bro :)
I don't care who says they can be reused! ;)

Just started taking my exhaust manifolds off today, kinda a pain breaking the bolts free, any recommendations bud?? Thanks.........

put a small vicegrip on the tabs overtop of the nuts before you try to break them loose!! once you stretch the tabs only frustration will ensue. real tight space on the engine side. you can remove all the manifold bolts first and let the manifold flop to get better access to the flange bolts.........just a suggestion. only way to get them on an 06

I already replaced the 3 on each flange last year with nuts and bolts I was refering to the 10 on each manifold. I have the breaker bar and blaster just didn't know if that was ok to use the bar, Thanks for all the info.....gonna chase the threads with a tap to clean them up before installing new SS bolts with anti seize.

Cosmetic damage to the piston only...hmmmm, cosmetic and piston used in the same sentence.... Interesting, just dive in guys...

Cosmetic damage to the piston only...hmmmm, cosmetic and piston used in the same sentence.... Interesting, just dive in guys...

People like this everywhere..

Ever hear of offering an encouraging word? So much f$&@)/ng negativity around here from some people. I'd like to know.. What's your experience with this? How many times have you torn this engine down and down anything to it? How much money have you paid other people to do your work for you?

Get off my back...

I can tell you that I haven't beaten this vehicle, I take care of my cars because they are such a big part of my life/personality, and that I have been disappointed with the power since I got it. Maybe I have had a few issues lingering for a while and they just surfaced.. Maybe, unlike the norm, just got a vehicle that hadn't been taken care of in the past. Either way, the spring broke, the pushrod bent, and I need to fix it.

As to the underhanded-ness that some of you were referring to because I planned to fix the broken stuff before trade-in.. I don't quite understand why that is underhanded? Those of you who feel like you got a 'truck that had been beaten on, with pre-existing problems' is exactly how I feel. I am fixing the stuff that is broken right now, and I know that this truck is not gonna last. I have done nothing but love her, and try to bring her back from periods of apparent neglect. But THIS particular truck is a time-bomb!

I'd love to continue speaking rationally with anyone who feels that I am missing something, or that can maybe help point out an error I am making. I don't like making mistakes, and if you see that I am, please let me know...

-Jeremy

You need a 6 speed :rock: That's what you're missing :nurse::beer:

You need a 6 speed :rock: That's what you're missing :nurse::beer:

That's what I have. I thoroughly enjoyed the transmission.. The truck is plenty of fun. It just isn't fast enough or comfortable enough. I have no problems with a mid/high 12 second vehicle if it's comfortable on the street. For it to be this uncomfortable, I either need it to be a work truck, or mid 11's. I don't really want to put the money into this to try to get there.

You see all of the posts, within the last 6-9 months, where guys with 40-50k in upgrades are having a difficult time selling for $25k??!!

I know that cars are not an investment, but I am not gonna sink enough money into this thing to get it where I want it.

Did you get some headers??

Nope, way out of my price range but I did get a set of ceramic coated OE manifolds from a very generous member;):rock::D so I could get rid of one of the last eye sores under the hood(rusty manifolds and heat shields). These will look nice with all new SS hardware along with new tanks from Justin(JMB) to replace the other 2 ugly pieces under there, pics to come when finished with all mods, give me a few weeks.....:drool:

Likewise, my first 10 had real damage to the front end. I was so dad gum anxious to get the truck that I just flat went against my better judgment and bought it anyway. :stupido3: Dealer lied but that is not real unusual. :mad: Used a quart of oil every 1700 miles and was told here that that is normal but my second truck uses zero oil in 4K miles. Buyer beware :rock:

A quart of oil every 1000 miles for engine under 50k miles is normal. A quart of oil every 750 miles for engines over 50k miles is normal. Your oil consumption on your first truck was normal.

Nope, way out of my price range but I did get a set of ceramic coated OE manifolds from a very generous member;):rock::D so I could get rid of one of the last eye sores under the hood(rusty manifolds and heat shields). These will look nice with all new SS hardware along with new tanks from Justin(JMB) to replace the other 2 ugly pieces under there, pics to come when finished with all mods, give me a few weeks.....:drool:

Too bad those stock manifolds are so damn heavy. I would take them off your hands but shipping them is crazy.

People like this everywhere..

Ever hear of offering an encouraging word? So much f$&@)/ng negativity around here from some people. I'd like to know.. What's your experience with this? How many times have you torn this engine down and down anything to it? How much money have you paid other people to do your work for you?

Get off my back...

I was joking a bit, sorry you didnt get it..I dont pay anyone to work on anything i own or have owned...Ive rebuilt a gen 1 but have not gotten to my build yet on my 10...

I was joking a bit, sorry you didnt get it..I dont pay anyone to work on anything i own or have owned...Ive rebuilt a gen 1 but have not gotten to my build yet on my 10...

My apologies.

Seemed I was under barrage after I started the thread, just had a sour taste in my mouth from the judgement.

I know that there are guys here that may be apprehensive about what is generally considered to be "expert" work. In true gearhead fashion I simply want to encourage people to be bold, rather than afraid.

The really good stuff doesn't come from standing by idly.. Only those that take risks gather the true rewards.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back