Need some advice

Silverback

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I know, it's been over 4 months since I have been around, but I need some input.

Just returned today from our vacation, where we spent 25 days in traveling through Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and California in the Cobra. Temperatures ranged from the mid 40's to the 104 range. Needless to say, Karen has stated she will not take a vacation like this again in the Cobra.

So, I'm looking at buying a Viper. I really do not remember the pluses and minuses of the different years, or models. Any input would be appreciated.

Here is a link to a car I will probably go look at on Friday.

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/inventoryDisplay.aspx?s=blank_detail&year=2001&make=Dodge&model=Viper GTS&inv=282&vin=1B3ER69E01V704783&total=2&pos=1&current=1&size=50

I know, it's yellow. But then what do you expect from a beer guzzling monkey.:eek:

Hey John welcome back. Funny you should come back because I wanted to ask you about the Jeep GC srt8 . I was think ing of one:confused:

Hey John, great seeing you my friend.

That link doesn't seem to work. But if I was in the market for a Viper I'd take a serious look at Patrick's car.

Wow
Glad you came back!
Patrick's does look sweet, stick around this place needs you

Brother John!

Go and test drive the CTS V! Or buy Patrick's GTS.

Even with the low mileage, the asking price on the bumblebee is high. FWIW, when I bought my Final Edition with similar mileage two years ago, asking price was the same as this car now.

Model year differences: As you already know, 00-02 have cast pistons; ACR was an option 99-02 (if you go this route, know that replacement shocks are almost impossible to come by now); 99-02 have the larger 18" wheels and slightly different interior bits (door handles, power mirror toggle, shift knob, etc.). If you're concerned about a particular car's history, check the front brake calipers--if the decal is yellowed or brownish at all, the car has probably been tracked, and if just the rear tires have been replaced...well, you know. Check the date code on the tires as well. Any older than 4-5 years, and they'll need to be replaced. Also, the CD pocket and glove box pocket elastic tend to stretch easily (badly, on some cars I've seen), and as far as I know some owners have tried replacing the elastic, but with little success. When you check the car out, make sure and open the back glass, as the shocks there wear out quickly. Cheap to replace, but it's another thing that can be a bargaining chip. Check under the side sills for missing screws--they're crappy sheet metal screws that fall out easily (sometimes puncturing a tire), and there may be some missing.

If I remember anything else, I'll post up later.

John Patrick is selling his.....

I think you ought'a ta buy it.....

Call him or PM for ph# for Patrick.

Great to see you on, kid....... ;)

D

howdy John:rock:

thought about another truck????:burnout: :rock:

sweet Viper also:rock: :burnout:

Vman455 said:
Even with the low mileage, the asking price on the bumblebee is high. FWIW, when I bought my Final Edition with similar mileage two years ago, asking price was the same as this car now.

Model year differences: As you already know, 00-02 have cast pistons; ACR was an option 99-02 (if you go this route, know that replacement shocks are almost impossible to come by now); 99-02 have the larger 18" wheels and slightly different interior bits (door handles, power mirror toggle, shift knob, etc.). If you're concerned about a particular car's history, check the front brake calipers--if the decal is yellowed or brownish at all, the car has probably been tracked, and if just the rear tires have been replaced...well, you know. Check the date code on the tires as well. Any older than 4-5 years, and they'll need to be replaced. Also, the CD pocket and glove box pocket elastic tend to stretch easily (badly, on some cars I've seen), and as far as I know some owners have tried replacing the elastic, but with little success. When you check the car out, make sure and open the back glass, as the shocks there wear out quickly. Cheap to replace, but it's another thing that can be a bargaining chip. Check under the side sills for missing screws--they're crappy sheet metal screws that fall out easily (sometimes puncturing a tire), and there may be some missing.

If I remember anything else, I'll post up later.
I know who to call if I'm ever in the market.................:p :D
For what it's worth, I love the drop tops.
Roy's advice may be good, if your looking for more of a "civilized" monster.

Last edited:
99 and older vipers have a forged motor ,,,,,enough said ;)

Hey, Dad! :)

That car is nice! I know you like that dealer too... The Viper looks to be well sorted and well documented. The price is a little high tho, as mentioned. I think it would be a pretty good buy at $38-$40k from a dealer.

The only issue that I've heard about GTS's that would drive me nutz is, they leak around the upper driver and passenger door seals (by the hood). I hear ALL of them do this. :dontknow: I noticed it when I was helping Dennis (01GTSACRMynameistoolong) clean his car one day. He just had two hand-towels he closed up in the doors to keep water from puddling on the floor. :eek: Anyone else with a GTS on here have this problem? :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back