Need some advice

hey john !!!! :rock:

are you going to sell your cobra? as far as that dealer, i've heard good things..... me, i love the GTS's ('96-'99 - forged pistons), '01 & '02 have ABS though..... i'm in the market now too...... :)

Hi John! Good to see you!

I would take a good look at Patrick's 99 GTS!!

I would buy Patrick's! Hands down - you will know what you have and how it was taken care of :rock: :rock: :rock: Good to see you, Dad :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Maybe I can deliver it for you :rock: :rock: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :aetsch: :aetsch: :D :D :D

LOVE to you and mom :)

Glad to see you post Great Ape.... I agree Patricks Viper is awsome and you know where it has been...:rock:

Wifey said:
I would buy Patrick's! Hands down - you will know what you have and how it was taken care of :rock: :rock: :rock: Good to see you, Dad :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Maybe I can deliver it for you :rock: :rock: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :aetsch: :aetsch: :D :D :D

LOVE to you and mom :)

Yes, but it's not YELLOW. :dontknow: :eek:

Good to see you John...

Just Remember what anyone says....... it has to be yellow

Black1 said:
Yes, but it's not YELLOW. :dontknow: :eek:
Dad can smear a couple of nannas on it and wala :D :D :D :D

Dupli-Color at AutoZone! Eight or ten spray cans, and 30 minutes and you have a Yellow Viper!

Black1 said:
Hey, Dad! :)

That car is nice! I know you like that dealer too... The Viper looks to be well sorted and well documented. The price is a little high tho, as mentioned. I think it would be a pretty good buy at $38-$40k from a dealer.

The only issue that I've heard about GTS's that would drive me nutz is, they leak around the upper driver and passenger door seals (by the hood). I hear ALL of them do this. :dontknow: I noticed it when I was helping Dennis (01GTSACRMynameistoolong) clean his car one day. He just had two hand-towels he closed up in the doors to keep water from puddling on the floor. :eek: Anyone else with a GTS on here have this problem? :dontknow:

I never had this problem, but I heard of others having to deal with it.

I thought of a couple more things: The door hinges on Gen I's and II's sag with use. They can be adjusted up to a point, but if it's really bad will have to be replaced. This can affect even low-mileage cars, as it seems to be tied to the number of times a door has been opened, not age or mileage. On 01s, find out if the water pump has been replaced. That year had an issue with the impeller disintegrating; most cars by now have probably had it replaced, but better safe than sorry. Also, the plastic power steering pump pulley and cheap metal bracket should be replaced (on all years)--several vendors offer billet pulleys and brackets. If this hasn't been done, it will need to be.

OK, now I think that's it. If you want me to look at a car, drop me a line and I'd be happy to.

Vman455 said:

I thought of a couple more things: The door hinges on Gen I's and II's sag with use. They can be adjusted up to a point, but if it's really bad will have to be replaced. This can affect even low-mileage cars, as it seems to be tied to the number of times a door has been opened, not age or mileage. On 01s, find out if the water pump has been replaced. That year had an issue with the impeller disintegrating; most cars by now have probably had it replaced, but better safe than sorry. Also, the plastic power steering pump pulley and cheap metal bracket should be replaced (on all years)--several vendors offer billet pulleys and brackets. If this hasn't been done, it will need to be.

OK, now I think that's it. If you want me to look at a car, drop me a line and I'd be happy to.

Dennis also had a problem with the electric door poppers on his. Some kind of short in the switch, or something. :dontknow: I think he had to go through two or three switches to get a good one. When the outside handle/button got wet, the doors wouldn't open.

Vman455 said:

wasn't there a TSB or something about a bracket needing welded into the front suspension to stiffen it??? :dontknow: i coulda sworn i read that over on the VCA.....

Black1 said:
Hey, Dad! :)

That car is nice! I know you like that dealer too... The Viper looks to be well sorted and well documented. The price is a little high tho, as mentioned. I think it would be a pretty good buy at $38-$40k from a dealer.

The only issue that I've heard about GTS's that would drive me nutz is, they leak around the upper driver and passenger door seals (by the hood). I hear ALL of them do this. :dontknow: I noticed it when I was helping Dennis (01GTSACRMynameistoolong) clean his car one day. He just had two hand-towels he closed up in the doors to keep water from puddling on the floor. :eek: Anyone else with a GTS on here have this problem? :dontknow:

Welcome back SB. That's a nice BB GTS although (as mentioned) their price is a little bit high.

Black1. I have never heard of that issue. My GTS does not leak a drop and neither does anyone else's that I know of (I know several people with GTSs). RT/10s are the ones that are leak prone with the removable top. Sounds like the weather stripping has gone bad on your friends car. Also, the door popper issue is usually attributed to the wiring harness that runs between the door and the side panel of the car. They dry rot over time and the wires become brittle, especially if the car is parked outside instead of a garage. Your buddy might check that out as his culprit too. ;)

First off, thanks to everyone for their input. It's greatly appreciated.

Went and looked at the Yellow car today. Did not even have to drive it to know it was not the car for me. Nothing wrong with the car mind you, it's just not what I wanted.

It's light years ahead of the Cobra in regard to comfort and sophisication, which is saying something, considering that most people find the Viper pretty crude. But then, maybe that says something about how crude I can be, in that I fit in with the Cobra pretty well.

Thanks again everyone, and take care.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

John

Silverback said:

Went and looked at the Yellow car today. Did not even have to drive it to know it was not the car for me. Nothing wrong with the car mind you, it's just not what I wanted.

It's light years ahead of the Cobra in regard to comfort and sophisication, which is saying something, considering that most people find the Viper pretty crude. But then, maybe that says something about how crude I can be, in that I fit in with the Cobra pretty well.

John
Can I visit you at the zoo:dontknow: please Daddy please:D :D :aetsch: ;)
I hate when Daddy goes away:( oh well I just have to wave a bunch of nannas around and he always shows up:rock: :rock: I love my Daddy:) :)

Silverback said:

John

The Cobra is what you always wanted, my friend.... :) It is YOUR car. There is no question anything else is going to be measured against it. So, your Wife doesn't like it for long distance cruising. :dontknow: She also probably hasn't always wanted a Shelby Cobra since she was in high school either. ;)

Keep the Miata.... That banana rocket is perfect, just the way it is. :rock: (Yeah, yeah... I know... "That's what she said". :D :rolleyes: :elefant: )

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back