Need some after market stereo help.

OsirruZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently picked up a JVC KD-PDR80. Nothing fancy, just wanted a player that would play MP3's. I bought the deck and the wiring harness so I wouldnt have to hack up the factory harness. I get it all installed, which was basic and easy. The sound quality was terrible. I brought it back the next day. I intentionally bought the deck becasue they told me it would work with no problems. Now they are telling me they can hack up the factory wiring harness and rerun all the wires to make it work. I do not want to do this. I want to keep all the factory stuff intact. Im really thinking they gave me the wrong harness for the deck. Has anyone else run into this? I hate to return the deck, I really like it but Im not under any circumstance hacking up the factory wiring harness.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

OsirruZ said:
So I recently picked up a JVC KD-PDR80. Nothing fancy, just wanted a player that would play MP3's. I bought the deck and the wiring harness so I wouldnt have to hack up the factory harness. I get it all installed, which was basic and easy. The sound quality was terrible. I brought it back the next day. I intentionally bought the deck becasue they told me it would work with no problems. Now they are telling me they can hack up the factory wiring harness and rerun all the wires to make it work. I do not want to do this. I want to keep all the factory stuff intact. Im really thinking they gave me the wrong harness for the deck. Has anyone else run into this? I hate to return the deck, I really like it but Im not under any circumstance hacking up the factory wiring harness.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.
Did you do the install or did they? If you did what wiring harness did you use?

I installed it myself then brought it back to them when it wasnt working. They went through it to see what the problem was. They said something aboutt he harness, wasnt correct due to a "floating ground" which was grounding all the speakers out? I dont quite know what that means. But iether way, they said it was wired up correctly, it was just an issue with the harness. They didnt offer a different kind of harness only offered to rewire the entire system. I dont remember offhand the make or model number of the harness. Ill try to get the wife to go open the box and pull the bag out that the harness came in and get a part number when she wakes up.

Now just for reference, once installed it did play. The volume control on the deck went up to 50. You couldnt hear any sound until you got it up to 35-40, from there on out it was distorted.

Last edited:
OsirruZ said:
I installed it myself then brought it back to them when it wasnt working. They went through it to see what the problem was. They said something aboutt he harness, wasnt correct due to a "floating ground" which was grounding all the speakers out? I dont quite know what that means. But iether way, they said it was wired up correctly, it was just an issue with the harness. They didnt offer a different kind of harness only offered to rewire the entire system. I dont remember offhand the make or model number of the harness. Ill try to get the wife to go open the box and pull the bag out that the harness came in and get a part number when she wakes up.

Now just for reference, once installed it did play. The volume control on the deck went up to 50. You couldnt hear any sound until you got it up to 35-40, from there on out it was distorted.
Was it just a pig tail harness that connected to the radio harness and plugged in to the factory radio harness ? I am thinking you didn't use the correct harness for your application .

Last edited:
OSO said:
Was it just a pig tail harness that connected to the radio harness and plugged in to the factory radio harness ? I am thinking you didn't use the correct harness for your application .

Metra part number CHTO-01

That's what I used. Not the part number you just listed, a harness they sold me which looks nothig like that one. It was a harness sold seperately from the deck. You splice it into the harness from the deck and it has a female socket that fits onto the factory male wiring harness that connects to the back of the stock radio.

Last edited:
OsirruZ said:
That's what I used. It was a harness sold seperately from the deck. You splice it into the harness from the deck and it has a female socket that fits onto the factory male wiring harness that connects to the back of the stock radio.
If that's all it was its the wrong one unless you bypass the amp
Chto -02 i believe is the correct metra part number, you quoted me before i had a chance to edit the other part number.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13633_Metra+Axxess+CHTO-02.html

Last edited:
OsirruZ said:
That's what I used. Not the part number you just listed, a harness they sold me which looks nothig like that one. It was a harness sold seperately from the deck. You splice it into the harness from the deck and it has a female socket that fits onto the factory male wiring harness that connects to the back of the stock radio.
You just need a harness for the infinity system, sorry for taking the long way around to the answer didn't want to just start spiting out to many guesses.

Last edited:
You can also just get the factory replacement that plays MP3's. Thats what i did. It's a RAH radio p/n 5161262AA

See, this is why I like this forum. I love you guys. Thanks for the help

Damn ya'll get started early! Hell I just got though drinking my morning cup of pee (Jokes just for you Griff LMAO)

Glad ya'll got it figured out. Osirruz you probably had the XSVI-6502. This plug works for most newer Chrysler/Dodge's but does not work with ANY Infinity systems. Anyway I agree with ya Osirruz, I love this forum too for the awesome help and fast responses!!!
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back