Need some Information

NeedInfo

Reaction score
Hey guys hows it going, this is my first post here (hopefully of many). I have been looking around trying to find some information on an 05' quad cab SRT-10 and figured I'd go to straight to the source to find out some of the information. Right now I have an 05' RCSB Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi that I have spent the last 4 years modding to the point that its just about done, running (at its best) a 13.73 in the 1/4. Sadly though after investing so much time and money into it to get it to this point I am going to have to sell/trade it in for something bigger (we're having a kid and the rcsb just isn't going to cut it anymore).

I have been looking at the quad cab SRT-10's for a while now and I think one would make a nice replacement to my current truck. I love the way it looks and power wise it is just what I am looking for (power to weight of my truck should be close to that of the power to weight of a quad cab I would think so it wont feel like I am starting from scratch again but more like starting from where I left off on mine). So here is what I would like to know from those of you that have an 05' Quad Cab:

General:
- Any issues with it being a daily driver?
- Whats the MPG like (City/HWY)?
- Any known issues/problems/recalls?
- Any issues with the read diff blowing up?
- Hows the backseat leg room?
- What is the tune up like? Anything you cant do in your driveway?

Performance wise:
- What is the average 1/4 mile time stock for a quad cab?
- Are there readily available performance parts like there is with the hemi? (Tuning, torque converters, intakes, ported throttle bodies, headers, cams, heads, shift kits, ect.? Most of which was done on my ram and I will more than likely want to do a few right off the start if I end up with an SRT)
- Hows the handling?
- Hows the interior cab noise with an aftermarket exhaust?
- Wheel spin, can you spin them with ease? Caltracs needed?

Anything else you guys would like to add or anything else that I should know/ look for prior to buying please let me know. This will be my daily driver/family trip/weekend track truck so anything you guys can tell me about them first hand the better.

Thank you in advance to all those that can help me out.

Most of the Q/C guys have already gone to bed. Welcome to the RBC, you will love it here. I do know the fuel mileage is not much worse than a hemi Q/C and they will run in the hi 13's bone stock.

Welcome to the VTCoA:rock:

Fuel mileage is gonna suck! If that's something you're worried about, go with a different ride;)
The tranny won't hold up if you mod heavily... should be good if you're sticking with bolt ons.
I had one for a daily driver for a while, and it did fine. There's plenty of leg room for me, but I'm short. Go sit in one:)

Should run high 13's stock on a decent track, but throw a tune on there and it will pull hard on your hemi:burnout: Taking away the TQ management on the QCs really wakes them up! You can get just about any performance part for the 10s now... just ask Tony @ JTS Venom Performance;) He will hook you up.
There are tons of different exhaust options out there. Do a search and start reading.
You'll be able to spin the tires no problem. Caltracs will help keep the ass end straight:burnout:

Let us know what you decide, and post up if you're looking at a truck... there's a good chance somebody on here will know the truck:D

Brad:bandit:

welcome,

i also went from the Hemi to the SRT10...:rock:

First let me say Welcome to the Forum. I have a 06 QC (I like the interior of the 06 better than the 05 but that is simply personal preference) and will try to answer some of your questions.

I drive mine is a daily driver and use it for all my normal driving, about 12K per year. I am currently at 40K mileage and loving it.

General:
- Any issues with it being a daily driver? None, the BEST truck I have ever owned.

- What’s the MPG like (City/HWY)? I get around 12.5-13 city and 16.5 Hwy

- Any known issues/problems/recalls? Oil Lines leak (on all models) JTSV Performance (Tony) has the fix with Aircraft Grade Lifetime Lines, Power Steering Lines Leak, Same fix as Oil Lines, The shifting solenoid will eventually need to be replaced. Sound system (Subwoofer) is week many have upgraded it.

- Any issues with the read diff blowing up? (Assume you meant Rear Diff) It is a Dana-60 Bullet Proof until you get over 550-600rwhp then you may want to beef it up some. (same on all models, gearing can be changed to your needs)

- How’s the backseat leg room? Great, have never had any complaints

- What is the tune up like? Anything you cant do in your driveway? The SCT Performance Tune really wakes up the QC, changes shift points and raises the RPM red line, Air Fuel ratio and remove the Torque Management from the Transmission (another reason to replace the shifting solenoid with the GM Upgrade Kit)

Performance wise:
- What is the average 1/4 mile time stock for a quad cab? You should be easy in the high 13s Bone Stock. Performance Tune, K&N Drop-In Air Filter, Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cats or Cat-Delete, and a Cat-Back should put you in the Very Low 13s to High/Mid 12s (Depending on your Elevation above Sea-Level).

- Are there readily available performance parts like there is with the hemi? (Tuning, torque converters, intakes, ported throttle bodies, headers, cams, heads, shift kits, ect.? Most of which was done on my ram and I will more than likely want to do a few right off the start if I end up with an SRT) I have mentioned a few of the Performance Modifications but there are ALL the usual stuff available on most trucks… (Caution on the Turbo Options- Many have tried the Turbo Road and Failed, the Super Charger Road is a MUCH BETTER way to go)

- Hows the handling? Great, Best Riding and Handling Truck I have ever had. Not a Road Course Sports Car but for a truck, not much better out there.

- Hows the interior cab noise with an aftermarket exhaust? Depends on what you are looking for. Can be nice and mellow rumble to a loud roar.

- Wheel spin, can you spin them with ease? Caltracs needed? Depends on how much RWHP you go for. At around the 475-500 mark you may consider it.

Anything else you guys would like to add or anything else that I should know/ look for prior to buying please let me know. This will be my daily driver/family trip/weekend track truck so anything you guys can tell me about them first hand the better.

Mods are VERY expensive. You will pay about twice the price of a normal truck. Before you go Forced Induction make sure you Forge the Engine from the Bottom UP… Many have not and paid the price. Rebuilding the Engine is about $15,000.

I had a qc and gas mileage for me was only 8 to 9mpg's. Don't expect better unless you drive it like a...well, you get the idea. On the highway it's not much better with the 4 speed auto.

i can add one bit...the tune-up, i took as general maintenance...

oil changes, even if you do it yourself is gonna be about $80 for the oil and filter... unless you get it on sale...

changing plugs and wires you can do in your garage...changing the oil and ps lines, you can do, if you're a bit handy around the garage...changing brakes....installing headers...most bolt-ons you can do by yourself if you're so inclined...there is a good bit of room inside the engine bay, and compared to the hemi, you'll like working in there...everything's very accessible....well...save for the coil packs;)

but they are stupid expensive....

8mpg??? well damn, I knew it wasn't going to be great but 8? Right now my truck is getting around 14-15 city and around 18 hwy with a cam/headers/coverter/gears/intake/ported TB and a tune. The most I think I would want to do for now performancewise would be a new tq converter, intake, ported TB, exhaust and tune.... so nothing to major I would think.

For the coil packs, how often do they go out? about how much do they go for?

For the oil filter, it seriouslly $80 for just the filter? Im use to getting al synthetics on my HEMI so paying upwards of the $80 mark for oil isn't to bad but if its going to be in the $160 range for an oil change that seems a little pricey. Guess you gotta pay to have fun with this.

There is one that I am looking at now that is being sold at a dealership here in AZ with 25,000miles on it and they are asking $25,000. With my trade in its going to drop the price down to about $12,000 give or take. So thats where I am at now. I have not had a chance to go down to test drive one but if the cab is anywhere like my reg. cab I should have plenty of room (6'-3"). I'll look into the 06's but I haven't really seen a lot of them on the roads. Thanks for all of your opinions and help so far.

So what Im getting is that the mpg is going to be fairly bad. Right now with the modded hemi, for normal driving Im at 15 for city and around 18hwy, but thats with my foot out of it, if Im really driving it it drops down to around the 12mpg mark. Like I have always said, its a truck, I did not buy my truck for the mpg and the same goes with this one... however getting the mpg's in the "teens" would be nice.

The oil changes are not going to be that bad, as it is now Im paying around $70 for all synthetics as it is so if that gets up a little more then so be it.

How often do the coil packs go out? and how much do they run?

Thanks for all the information guys.

Were are you located?
There maybe a QC in your area that one of the members may let you check out.
Thats what I did, I was not sure about getting rid of my truck or getting an SRT. Rolled up to a Maryland meet with another member, Had my SRT with in 2 months after that.
You can find some nice low mileage trucks still.

Da1chief how are you able to get 12 in the city? I am averaging 9.8 and that was an improvement after gutting the exhaust.

Im in Phoenix Az.

There are a few of them located around me for sale right now which is another reason why I am looking for some of these answers. Out of everything that has been said though, the one thing getting me is the mileage, if it was in the teens it be great but single digit numbers dont sound very good.

you will not get a quad cab in the teens with the exception of highway mileage. City expect 9-11.

If mileage is a huge concern you could go with higher gears in the rear end. Stock is 4.56, changing to 4.10 would certainly help. You'll lose a bit of performance.

In town I averaged 9-12 and highway never much over 14. The 48re transmission is from the diesel trucks and as such it has a pretty low top gear.

I disagree with the milage....... I get 12.5-13.2mph in town and 15.5-16 on the Hwy.... It all depends on how heavy your right foot is.....

If you do a lot of Stop and Go driving then it will be a lot lower as well....

How far do you guys have your foot into it to get in the 9mpg? I know when I drive with my foot in it I get around 10mpg but when I drive with a "light" throttle its around the 14mpg mark give or take around town. It seems the more power I put into it the bestter the mpg gets if Im just driving normally. I know though V10 vs V8, I wasn't expecting prius mpg but not 9... Guess thats the price you pay to have fun though.

Off topic but I am having some issues posting from my home computer using windows 7....

Back on topic, with my truck now if I lay off it and go no more than 1/2 throttle I usually am in the mid 14's around town and 18's on the highway while if I am really heavy on the throttle its more like 10mpg in the city and low 13s on the highway. I knew the 10's were bad on mpg's but I didn't relize they were that bad. I understand the trade off, more power + more weight + more cylinders = less mileage, but its almost the oposite of what the hemi is doing. As I have added more and more power to my truck the mpg's have gone up as long as I dont go over 1/2 throttle which really isn't that hard since it runs nice and quick even at 1/2 throttle, much more and I'd be spinning at every light lol.

NeedInfo said:
Off topic but I am having some issues posting from my home computer using windows 7....

Back on topic, with my truck now if I lay off it and go no more than 1/2 throttle I usually am in the mid 14's around town and 18's on the highway while if I am really heavy on the throttle its more like 10mpg in the city and low 13s on the highway. I knew the 10's were bad on mpg's but I didn't relize they were that bad. I understand the trade off, more power + more weight + more cylinders = less mileage, but its almost the oposite of what the hemi is doing. As I have added more and more power to my truck the mpg's have gone up as long as I dont go over 1/2 throttle which really isn't that hard since it runs nice and quick even at 1/2 throttle, much more and I'd be spinning at every light lol.
10city / 13 hwy, is about right

05 QC at 4000 feet.......11city and 14highway with a light foot, which I rarely have. Got 15.6 once at 50mph for 20 miles:p

Best handling truck I've ever driven, the suspension loads great without mods and I can smoke these mountain roads, in dry weather of course.

You didn't say where you live but you won't be driving it in the snow very much.

These guys all know their shit.....they won't steer you wrong.

Tires, oil changes, basic maintenance is expensive. Mods are outrageous. Not a "family" truck unless you make good bucks. But as much as you spent on the hemi you won't be too surprised.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Yeah Im out of Phoenix Arizona so snow wont be an issue. Maintenace is expensive as it is for my truck since I am running all synthetics so no worries there.

After talking about it with my wife for the past few days she gave me the go on it so now I just need to find one in my area. There is one I am going to go look at this weekend and there are 2 others that are a little further out that I'll check out later dependig on how this one goes.

As far as it being a family truck, well it'll be more of a toy for me to get to and from work/track and with the back seat I'll be able to through a car seat and the dogs back there and load up the bed whenever I need to if we cant take my wifes crossover for whatever reason.

NeedInfo said:
Hey guys hows it going, this is my first post here (hopefully of many). I have been looking around trying to find some information on an 05' quad cab SRT-10 and figured I'd go to straight to the source to find out some of the information. Right now I have an 05' RCSB Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi that I have spent the last 4 years modding to the point that its just about done, running (at its best) a 13.73 in the 1/4. Sadly though after investing so much time and money into it to get it to this point I am going to have to sell/trade it in for something bigger (we're having a kid and the rcsb just isn't going to cut it anymore).

I have been looking at the quad cab SRT-10's for a while now and I think one would make a nice replacement to my current truck. I love the way it looks and power wise it is just what I am looking for (power to weight of my truck should be close to that of the power to weight of a quad cab I would think so it wont feel like I am starting from scratch again but more like starting from where I left off on mine). So here is what I would like to know from those of you that have an 05' Quad Cab:

General:
- Any issues with it being a daily driver?
- Whats the MPG like (City/HWY)?
- Any known issues/problems/recalls?
- Any issues with the read diff blowing up?
- Hows the backseat leg room?
- What is the tune up like? Anything you cant do in your driveway?

Performance wise:
- What is the average 1/4 mile time stock for a quad cab?
- Are there readily available performance parts like there is with the hemi? (Tuning, torque converters, intakes, ported throttle bodies, headers, cams, heads, shift kits, ect.? Most of which was done on my ram and I will more than likely want to do a few right off the start if I end up with an SRT)
- Hows the handling?
- Hows the interior cab noise with an aftermarket exhaust?
- Wheel spin, can you spin them with ease? Caltracs needed?

Thank you in advance to all those that can help me out.
Well I have a 05 QC and I love it. My wife can get about 14 - 15 mpg on hwy and I get about 6 if you know what I mean. I have not done a lot of mods to mine. But hope to do more in the future. I do not think you will be unhappy with that choice. I love to play with in on the weekends it would be better if it had a 6 speed but for QC I am very pleased. I have had it going on two years and the only problem that I have had is with the Power steering lines and oil cooler lines. But Tony has a solution kit for that stuff. Good luck to ya and enjoy the ride these guys on here have been great at helping when you have an issue

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back