need to know some info about engine bay components

71dusterjon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i've been inspired by carl to redo the engine bay and make it look as good as the truck performs. I would like to know:
1) whats the purpose of the sensor right underneath the battery
2) what do the two lines that come from the back of the motor, run along side of it and then to a valve next to the fuse/relay box

Hi Jon, glad to see you were inspired by The Batram. I'm not sure about the two lines exactly, some kind of air line? One goes to the valve under the intake (air) the other to some kind of odd filter thing? lol Not 100% sure sorry. The purpose for the sensor under the battery is to keep an eye on battery temperature, I'm 90% certain. I searched and found those that moved their battery to the rear, just left them as-is and cabled tied/tape them up out the way. I have and no CEL to speak of. When you think of it, it will never go off as it has no battery above it getting hot.

2c

those are vaccum lines for the fuel evap thing a magigger, (purge selonoid and purge lines) need those for a no return fuel system.

i believe the cruise control is a seperate valve. if you follow the other throttle cable that doesn't lead to the firewall it will go to a valve under the battery tray also with a vacuum line plus a connector.

Last edited:
71dusterjon said:
i believe the cruise control is a seperate valve. if you follow the other throttle cable that doesn't lead to the firewall it will go to a valve under the battery tray also with a vacuum line plus a connector.
That is your purge selonoid ( look in the manual I gave you:itsme: ) those are for your fuel system. It purges the gas vapors or fumes since our trucks are a non return fuel system. Dont mess with it unless your upgrading your fuel system.

does it matter how long those hoses are? i want to move it around so i'm assuming the length of the hose isn't a factor.

71dusterjon said:
does it matter how long those hoses are? i want to move it around so i'm assuming the length of the hose isn't a factor.
Yeah length is no biggie you can reroute them. Try to disconnect from the middle because getting the hose back into the selnoid is a bitch ( will it is still in:elefant: But yeah that shouldnt be a big deal.

Good info I was woundering the same about the batery tray stuff, and air lines. Going to clean that area up after I move the batery with JMB's kit.

As mentioned, none of that stuff has to do with the cruise control. That can be move separately. I put mine in the far LH corner of the firewall. :)

Just get rid of it all, It doesnt need to be there. All the lines do is pull a vacuum in the fuel tank and if it detects a vacuum leak it sends off a CEL. Like what happens when you dont screw on your fuel cap tight enough.

Also the deally under the battery just tie it up out of sight, many of us have done that and no problems.

By removing the vacuum lines, battery, battery tray, fuse panel, cruise control, brake abs module you can really open up the engine compartment and it looks way better.

where do most people relocate the fuse box?

When you say get rid of it all, do you mean just cap off the ends? will any lights come on the dash if so or if the valve is disconnected?

CEL will light up if its disconnected. I just yanked it all out right back from the underside of the truck. Just in front of the fuel tank is a contraption bolted to the frame, this is where the 2 vacuum lines that are being talked about come from. I removed the entire contraption piece, the vacuum lines and everything else that was connected to that shit in the engine compartment. Now I just have a hose coming from the fuel tank that used to go the the contraption piece which needs to be dealt with, I will probably just extend it upwards and put a breather on it. Or someday Ill just ditch the entire fuel system and start from scratch, that and a rear axle are next on the list.

As for the fuse panel, one of the hemi guys relocated it under the dash which is a crap load of work. With mine I just kind turned it sideways and built a new bracket for it. Someday I put up pictures when Im done with the engine compartment.

DevilDawg3097 said:
That is your purge selonoid ( look in the manual I gave you:itsme: ) those are for your fuel system. It purges the gas vapors or fumes since our trucks are a non return fuel system. Dont mess with it unless your upgrading your fuel system.

Explain this a little further, I dont understand how pulling a vacuum in the system is needed for a non return line system. I understand that the only purpose of all that stuff is to check for leaks in the system. And also to keep the fumes of the gas out of the atmosphere as well, but who cares about that anyway?

yellowfever#154 said:
Explain this a little further, I dont understand how pulling a vacuum in the system is needed for a non return line system. I understand that the only purpose of all that stuff is to check for leaks in the system. And also to keep the fumes of the gas out of the atmosphere as well, but who cares about that anyway?

California wacko environmentalists...you should try wrestling their stupid gas pump nozzles to keep fumes from entering the atmosphere while pumping fuel. Always fun to watch newby's trying to figure it out...particularly motorcyclists.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back