Need Trailer Help

wesalbert

2015 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to go take the boat out today. Luckily I decided to swing by the house before the 45 minute drive at highways speed. When I got home, the rim was angled. I jacked it up, and the rim/tire came right off :mad:
What broke, and what do I need to go look at buying now. :dontknow:

Looks to me like you need a whole new axle assembly, I think that one's pretty well shot. From the look of the bearing, races, etc, I'd suggest a more aggressive routine maintenence program on it going forward...

Probably new bearings and seals. do you have bearing buddies on them? they allow you to keep them greased without taking them apart.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Looks to me like you need a whole new axle assembly, I think that one's pretty well shot. From the look of the bearing, races, etc, I'd suggest a more aggressive routine maintenence program on it going forward...

I have owned it for a year, someone else has since 1987. It is a torsion axle if that makes any difference. Trying to look up parts now.

walbert said:
I have owned it for a year, someone else has since 1987. It is a torsion axle if that makes any difference. Trying to look up parts now.
Do both sides!!!! Somebody is going to say it so i will do it nicely :) A used trailer should of been serviced and inspected before the first time out.

OSO said:
Do both sides!!!! Somebody is going to say it so i will do it nicely :) A used trailer should of been serviced and inspected before the first time out.

I totaly agree. Out of 3 trailers, of course this is the only one I have done nothing with except grease and put lights on.

find a northern tool and supply close by, they have most of the parts you need in stock most of the time, from axles to bearings to wheels bud

Texas Yellow Fever said:

Brings up a good point, what is maintenece on someting such as this besides grease?
Replace the hub how often? Remove and inspect? how often? :dontknow:

depending on how often you use it really ,

i got a 12 ftr i have had for about 18 years, with no problems,

you need to grease it every other time you use it, watch for bad seals, and once a year repack and grease the bearings, but again depends on what you haul and how many miles too

Boat trailers are more of a pain in this dept than road trailers. I've got road trailers that I've never done anything to and have lasted thousands of miles.

Bearing buddies are a must. Check them periodically because sometimes the warm bearings hitting cold water can actually suck water in which will destroy the bearings. Definitely do both sides at the same time. If the other side is as worn as this one start replacing parts.

includemeout said:

West Marine was the only thing I found open today. I needed to do something to get it out of the driveway and back to storage. I got one of the hub kits, got it on and all is good. They only had one so another is on order. The axle once I got the inner parts of the bearings off looked fine. Going to keep the boat at my old storage place near the house until I can do the other one later in the week, then gonna get it to the new storage place next weekend.
Looking at the website Stinker posted and possibly replace the whole axle. After all, it is 22 years old now.

Last edited:
HOA's suck the biggen'. I am so glad I don't deal with them anymore. All I got out of my last one was a half a$$ grass cuttin job in the common area and a hit or miss snow plow job (that is when they showed up) and of course we got trash collection included -- BFD. Good to see your trailer is squared away.

walbert said:
West Marine was the only thing I found open today. I needed to do something to get it out of the driveway and back to storage. I got one of the hub kits, got it on and all is good. They only had one so another is on order. The axle once I got the inner parts of the bearings off looked fine. Going to keep the boat at my old storage place near the house until I can do the other one later in the week, then gonna get it to the new storage place next weekend.
Looking at the website Stinker posted and possibly replace the whole axle. After all, it is 22 years old now.
:rock: :rock: :rock:

walbert said:
Right on:congrats: , glad it helped..............now get that thing wet:D :D

walbert said:
Does this mean your getting the other trailer ready for the sand rail? ;)
Come on man, you know you gotta bring it to Panama!! :D

SANTEEN said:
Does this mean your getting the other trailer ready for the sand rail? ;)
Come on man, you know you gotta bring it to Panama!! :D

After this, now I'm pretty sure I don't want to trailer anything 9 hours :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back