NEVER use a circular polisher on our front bumpers!!

SRT-11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take a pic, but I can't bear to look at it. I got a circular polisher because the damn porter cable wasn't taking the scratches out of the paint. well the circular polisher worked like a champ on the hood and the fenders, really got the swirls, scratches, everything out. then I went on to the bumper and when i got to the spot right below the headlight where it's raised to match the contours of the headlight, it immediately melted the paint, the bumper, everything. I almost started sobbing, I've spent afternoon after afternoon and hundreds of dollars trying to make this thing shine and look great for 1qcksrt's get together this weekend, and now I've gone and ruined my bumper.

:(

Dang!...sorry to here that.:( ..but you may have saved me some grief...my wife bought me an electric polisher for our anniversary...I was gonna try it in a week or two when I detail the truck...hmmmm...still have receipt...

SRT-11 said:
I'd take a pic, but I can't bear to look at it. I got a circular polisher because the damn porter cable wasn't taking the scratches out of the paint. well the circular polisher worked like a champ on the hood and the fenders, really got the swirls, scratches, everything out. then I went on to the bumper and when i got to the spot right below the headlight where it's raised to match the contours of the headlight, it immediately melted the paint, the bumper, everything. I almost started sobbing, I've spent afternoon after afternoon and hundreds of dollars trying to make this thing shine and look great for 1qcksrt's get together this weekend, and now I've gone and ruined my bumper.

sorry to hear that Todd,wish i had an extra one for you bro.but i dont,you still going this weekend:dontknow: if you are give me a call tomorrow so we can cruise down together.:rock:

Yep, have to be careful around ANY raised surface. :dontknow: :( I've burned through my fair share of paint in my day...... But burning the PLASTIC? Wow! :confused: :dontknow: :(

Can we get a moment of silence?! :(

That stinks Todd. Buffing is an art all its own. That's why I suggested spending a few bucks and getting some additional coats of clear applied to the truck THEN sanding/buffing smooth. You'd have the slickest of all that is of slick paint out there. . .

Hate that happened to ya brother. . . :(

Orbital = no ouch!

I really feel your pain...that would ruin a day for sure.

Duct tape. Get some black duct tape and cover the blemish. :D

I had a mishap this weekend too. My wife hired some guys to do some yard work but they didn't bring any of their own equipment. I was trying to get my gas powered weed eater started when all of a sudden it took of as the head of the thing dipped down and caught a stone. You guessed it. right into the side of the truck on the door. Gonna cost me $150 to get it fixed but fixed it will get. Can't stand to see what a stupid mistake it was.:mad:

SRT-11 said:

was that the pc 7424 that you were using? what pad/s were you using...that should remove most swirls,etc. you must have had some major scratches..sorry to hear about that....it makes me sick thinking of it.....

SilvrSRT10 said:
Duct tape. Get some black duct tape and cover the blemish. :D

I had a mishap this weekend too. My wife hired some guys to do some yard work but they didn't bring any of their own equipment. I was trying to get my gas powered weed eater started when all of a sudden it took of as the head of the thing dipped down and caught a stone. You guessed it. right into the side of the truck on the door. Gonna cost me $150 to get it fixed but fixed it will get. Can't stand to see what a stupid mistake it was.:mad:

I feel your pain guys, some 5 yo kid ghost rid his bike up the hill from my house and you guessed it, came acress my lawn and smacked the front end of my truck. Cost was almost $5,000 to fix because of the ghost flames.

Last edited:
MAJOR BUMMER TODD,

Never cry over burned paint:banghead:
Your truck looks great,I,m sure it will not even be noticed!!:ahhhhh:
I,ve got so many nicks and scratches on my truck,I gave up worrying about it!!

wheredwhogo? said:
was that the pc 7424 that you were using? what pad/s were you using...that should remove most swirls,etc. you must have had some major scratches..sorry to hear about that....it makes me sick thinking of it.....

I was trying to do it with the 7424, but it wasn't cutting it, even with a yellow pad on speed 5 it was taking like 3 or 4 applications and wasn't even cutting all the way through the scratches, etc. the circular did an awesome job on metal but sure as hell wrecked the plastic.

I'll probably still go to the gtg this weekend, but this has really got me down.

you should know better son lol.. use a orbital buffer .. it wont damage your paint or melt anything

That sucks bro. Go get an orbital buffer so it wont happen again.

sorry to hear about the issue know your pain.. back here like 2 months ago i was an hour away in wife's truck when where i lived got a hail storm so i got a bunch of these very very fine dimples been considering trying the dry ice approach see if it works or not but i will test it on 2 small dents on my wife's avalanche first lol

Just put a cute little snoopy band aid on it until you can fix it. Black magic marker might work :rolleyes:

Sorry about your mishap, I'm sure you wanted to barf :(

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
you should know better son lol.. use a orbital buffer .. it wont damage your paint or melt anything

Exactly....stick with your 7424, I have the same one, it works great!!

If you need to, go to a more abrasive compound, but don't go with a direct drive buffer :(

Sorry man....life lesson learned though :dontknow:, repaint and 3m clear bra it, no more scratches :D

-Red

Gaboon said:
That sucks bro. Go get an orbital buffer so it wont happen again.

he had the pc 7424...just needed to use a little more abrasive compound...thats all....i feel horrible for him....i would be sick too...but in the grand scheme of things..its minor...

wheredwhogo? said:
i would be sick too...but in the grand scheme of things..its minor...

That's the truth, and I'm in the process of trying to convince myself that...

Just depresso right now, that's all :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back