New Bumpsteer Kit

John Stuttle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I met with a company here in Indianapolis that manufactures race car chassis and parts about puting together a kit that would solve the geometry problem with the tie rods on lowered trucks. They are going to make me one hopefully this week or next and I will install it and test it out.

The one off they are doing for me is costing $225. I asked them about multiple units and they said they could problably get the price down to the $180 - $195 range depending on how many I ordered at a time with a minimum of 10 units.

If you guys have an interest in this kit let me know and I will try to put something together with them.

john

John woudnt it be cheaper just to get a ford mustang kit? $140.00 and have the sleeve rethreaded for $25?
The price seems about double for a heijm joint $50, a $25 bolt and spacers and probably a $50or $75 sleeve?

Or at least thats what I have priced out, my machinist is vacatin right now,but thats the prices we figured on?:dontknow:

One of the problems with the Mustang kit is it is made out of 1" aluminum tube and designed for a lighter front steering car than our trucks. The aluminum tube is tapped to 5/8" which leaves a wall thickness of .2187. If you tap it out to 3/4" the wall thickness becomes .125". That is not a very thick wall in an aluminum tube.

The kit I have designed uses 1.125" DOM alloy steel tube with a wall thickness of .220, A much stronger piece. We are also using an 4130 Chromemoly Alloy Steel Aroura Rod end with a 3/4" bore and a tensile strength of over 28,000 PSI.

To connect the rod end to the spindle we are using a 3/4" 8640 alloy Grade 9 bolt rated at 190,000 PSI. No grade 8 stuff like the Mustang kit.

If you buy the mustang kit for $140, re-thread it $25? + time find someone to do it & to take it there, new 3/4" rod ends $50 each for good Aroura ones looks like it would cost at least $275 that way and you would have a weakersystem. Unless I am missing something?

Anyway I am just trying to come up with solutions and my solution may not be for everybody - just works for me - john

Last edited:
I wadnt flamin ya bud! You know that!LOLOL

Its just the prices I wuz given, sounds like you got the right pieces, but do ya think we need the grade 9?

The 8's have worked for years, thats why I priced the 8's, but yeah my guy just charged $25, but I've known him for years.

let me know when ya get finished sounds real HD:D

John,
I would like to buy a few of these! Please let me know.

I would be interested in purchasing some of these.

Dan Cragin
310-841-6996

Anything......and I mean ANYTHING that will create better handling for our trucks is a must for me.....

I'm in.................All I'd ask is that the system be tested to prove it's effectivenes.

Django

Count me in.I havent put in my front springs yet.I could do it all at once if i get one of these pieces.Thanks!

The one I had planned was using a grade 8 bolt and a couple different things, John has a great idea on this guys , pm him and let him know:rock:

How about a simple flip of the tie rod which would only require a mod to the mount point? DJM does it for Chevy's. I believe they drill out the mount hole and use a cone insert and flip the tie rod so the threads are up. No grade 8,9,or rockwell 60 required.;)

walenator said:
How about a simple flip of the tie rod which would only require a mod to the mount point? DJM does it for Chevy's. I believe they drill out the mount hole and use a cone insert and flip the tie rod so the threads are up. No grade 8,9,or rockwell 60 required.;)

That could be done but you are still drilling out the spindle and using a bushing. Both ways work - I just chose this way because it is available to me - john

By the way John Thanks for doing this, I promised the guys I would jump on it as soon as the holidays were over, and man I am just overrun with work at the house!

Sounds like a killer deal bro, congrats, but I would definitly get a list, you may sell tons of them.

John, how difficult would the installation be? Would the truck need to be re-aligined and is this something one could do in his garage?

Broke said:
John, how difficult would the installation be? Would the truck need to be re-aligined and is this something one could do in his garage?

I will do a complete install write up when I get the prototype in. You can do it in your garage and I would think it could be complete in about 1 to 1.5 hours with simple hand tools. As always I would check the alignment after installation especially the toe with this mod.

john

Stinker said:
Hey you ditchin my apology there John!

I'll come up there to indy and kick you in the sack!LOLOL:p

Stinker - I did not know that was an apology. You had nothing to apologize for. You were just looking for a different way of doing the same thing. No harm no foul - john

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back