New Camera Questions

sirhc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy a new camera and picked up a Canon 30D and a 28-135mm lens. Now I don’t have a frickin clue on how to use the thing even after reading the manual. I have been reading a few sites like dpreview and would like to know if anyone has any tips or good reads on this camera. I need to learn the basics of photo, iso, aperture setting and so on. I can then find a place to start with this thing and go from there. Also need some pointers on editing software. I downloaded a trial version of adobe lightroom and have been playing with it, about as lost on this as with the camera. Seems like I should start with elements and work from there?

Thanks,

Chris

You made a good choice for the camera you bought. Now how to use it is another league. I suggest picking up a basic photography book and doing some homework first. Get used to the terms and basic funtions. With this basic knowledge you can really start to learn. I'll be happy to help you with your questions and offer you any advise and show you a few tricks, but do your part first.

Brad

Your camera should have this software, aand here is a link for a book.......

http://www.digicombos.com/product_p/dvd30d.htm

• Powerful Bundled Software
The EOS 30D comes bundled with the Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk (Version 12.0) , which features powerful software programs designed to extend the EOS experience to the computer. Each application is designed to perfectly captured images, and streamline your digital workflow.

Digital Photo Professional (Version 2.1) provides easy-to-use RAW conversion tools, including high-speed RAW image processing, high-speed previewing for real-time image adjustment and support for sRGB, Adobe RGB and Wide Gamut RGB color spaces. Since it's CMS (Color Management System) compatible, Digital Photo Professional allows for easy image layout and printing in Adobe RGB in conjunction with Easy-PhotoPrint and PictBridge printers.
Canon's EOS Utility software (version 1.0) handles the connection between the camera and computer, whenever they're connected via USB. It allows remote controlled shooting from the computer, handles downloading of images from the camera to the computer, and allows seamless linking to either Canon's ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser or Digital Photo Professional software once images have been copied to the hard drive. Furthermore, it's used to upload settings back into a USB-connected camera, from Picture Style files to the user-named file. There's also a folder monitor - ideal to check and display images being transmitted by the optional WFT-E1A wireless transmitter.
Canon's ZoomBrowser EX for Windows and ImageBrowser for Mac OS X are the easy, user-friendly options for viewing and editing of JPEG and even RAW image files. Both allow viewing of numerous types of images including finished TIFF and BMP files. Both also have a variety of search options for finding images, allow re-naming of single images or batches of files, and offer a variety of options for printing without using a separate image-editing program.

• Fully Compatible with All EF and EF-S Lenses
The EOS 30D is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses, and including Canon's EF-S series lenses, manufactured specifically for Canon's APS-C sized digital sensor. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Aspherical optics and fluorite elements, for example, are featured in the universally acclaimed L Series lenses, and Canon's Image Stabilizer technology in select lenses minimizes the effect of camera shake. Through Canon lenses, photographers can truly maximize the quality and liberating performance of the EOS 30D.

Thanks for the info. I have played with the included software and it didn’t seem like much? My mother-in-law has a rebel xti and said she wasn’t happy with the canon software. I have been doing as much reading as possible and seems that taking pictures on the P setting is the way to go. My main issues are pics under high light, truck outside and my terrarium that has 4x48 watt 5500k CF lights. The lights in the tank drown out all the color in the top have of the tank. I would assume that iso setting needs to be adjusted? I think I can post a histogram and someone could tell me what Im doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back