New to forum

silverqc87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all I've had my silver 05 qc for about a year. Just found this forum the other day. Love the truck...just have some questions about it every other day or so...for instance where is my oil going? No leaks...running about 180-205 coolant temp, 180 -200 oil temp. Good pressure. Basicly dry on dipstick. Any ideas?

Maybe look underneath it and see if oil is leaking from the back of the valve cover gaskets then burning off on exhaust pipes. Your gonna burn a quart of oil every 2000 miles in normal driving conditions. Mopar V10s and V8 hemis all burn a little oil. How much oil are you loosing? I'm a newb to the srt10 community someone here will chime in sooner or later.

Oil cooler lines?

Our oil cooler lines are prone to leaking yet weaping and getting blown all over underside and yet never drip to floor. Make sure it's always registering on dipstick!! Mopar filter and 15/50 Mobil 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull the intake pull the heads remove valves and check the guides. Mine was doing this awhile back and had a broken valve guide

I went ahead and did an oil change and it has been sitting for 6 months but I only pulled maybe 6.5 quarts out and filled back with 9. Cleaned the engine and will check for leaks over the next couple of days. I appreciate you guys input. I'll update once I figure it out.

Maybe look underneath it and see if oil is leaking from the back of the valve cover gaskets then burning off on exhaust pipes. Your gonna burn a quart of oil every 2000 miles in normal driving conditions. Mopar V10s and V8 hemis all burn a little oil. How much oil are you loosing? I'm a newb to the srt10 community someone here will chime in sooner or later.

Oil cooler lines?

IF you were burning oil anywhere around the engine, you would smell it. It is NOT normal for our V10's to burn oil. Disregard the quart every 2000 miles comment. Mine has not burned any oil in 8 years of ownership.

It calls for 0-40, do you use different?.and I'll check the valve covers. I appreciate the info.

Yes, use the 0W40 Mobil1 "FS" European Car formula. Rated top 5 for wear protection. If anything, it's still a bit on the thick side. The link below is a LONG read. However, no MYTH's, just facts. Your view oil oils and oiling will be affected dramatically. See here...

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Could be a broken valve guide.

Lets just say that the broken valve guide is possible, you would have oil burning at start up. Smoke out of exhaust at start up? Synthetics tend not to smoke blue. Try a high quality dino oil. Let it sit overnight and see if it smokes on next start.

I'd look at the crankcase breather system. Our trucks do not have an oil separator. Crankcase fumes and pressure get sucked into the intake. A simple check would be to pull your throttle body and see how oily your intake manifold is. If you do not find an external leak or drip, I'd bet you have serious blow by and your engine is choking it down. Another reason the OEM runs these engines over rich. To counter act the low octane oil fumes.

Good Luck! Cheers:)

I'm with Venomous1. If he has not replaced his oil cooler lines. They are most likely leaking. It took a while for me to notice the light weight synthetic oil leaving a spot in the garage.

Although its tough to think that one of these trucks that have been driven, still have the factory lines.

I bought mine with 6K on it and replaced the lines at 8k. Just did the power steering lines at 15k.

Check behind the throttle body.:D

No smoke anytime...i had the throttle body off and cleaned when I did an entire fuel system cleaning done and there was very little inside manifold. It looked almost brand new in there actually. A little build up from the dirty throttle body bit that's it. Didn't even smoke when we ran the cleaner through the top end...im getting it's a valve cover gasket..

Ya could always do the valve cover gasket first cheap and easy. I would get under the truck and check for oil anywhere

Back