Nitrous/Propane

Snake_Charmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is some older threads out there about this, but i wanna get some newer updates from people running a nitrous/propane setup. Any engine problems on 100-150 shot stock guts?

No need for the propane, 150 shot is no sweat. I'm running a 200shot on mine I just throw a few gallons of 110 race gas in it at the track

I am buying a kit. if its 100% safer and added tq to run the propane then y not. regardless. are you on stock internals if so how often are you spraying?

I am buying a kit. if its 100% safer and added tq to run the propane then y not. regardless. are you on stock internals if so how often are you spraying?

No, not 100% safer bro. The cylinders still see high pressures regardless of fueling used. Propane can be less expensive and achieve the same results as race gas, having less resistance to detonation.
More octane is always better but that can come from e85, or simply higher octane conventional fuels.

The biggest reason why you do not see it is there really is not much of an advantage over easier to tune fuels. Have you any idea how to read a plug when using propane as the enrichment fuel?

It is certainly a cool idea and a feasible one, but it is not as simple as you are wanting it to be.

Also NX and NOS will be zero help on this. I would not start this unless you are comfortable doing nitrous tuning and reading plugs.

Stock internals, I've put 8ish 15lb bottles thru it now. You say why not to the propane, my rebuttal would be why over complicate something? A 150 shot is not much on these engines, in fact I have been here a long time and NEVER heard of a ram srt10 having an engine failure due to nitrous.

There are a ton of us on here spraying on stock internals no probs. IT'S IN THE TUNE. Hell I think phxpool has prob sprayed the most of anyone I know on here and he's at like 110k on motir

I know there is some older threads out there about this, but i wanna get some newer updates from people running a nitrous/propane setup. Any engine problems on 100-150 shot stock guts?

I understand that you think propane would be safer because it is more detonation resistant. However, anytime you add/change an existing system, you create another opportunity for something to go wrong. This alone eliminates any safety advantages that system is supposed to add. The factory fuel system handles 150 shot of nitrous very well. As others have said, if you are concerned about safety, adding some race fuel to the mix accomplishes that.

If you still want to run propane (and I know you do :D) I recommend checking on the European sections of the forum. There are multiple guys across the pond doing it.

e85 and nitrous good to go dont bother with the propane?

I prefer unleaded race fuel and you can get 110 which equals propane effective octane. E-85 can be used with proper lines, but it'll have to be custom tuned as you'll need way more e-85 vs. fuel per certain N20 shot. Two different stoichmetric A/F ratios. ;)

Why do you feel the need for the extra octane with a 150 shot? Just put a standard 150 shot on it and it'll be just fine.

The advantages of propane are you are spraying a " gas " not a liquid threw your intake,
Your intake is designed for air " gas" not liquid " fuel" even thought the fuel is suppose atomize it is still in a liquid forum and causes pooling in certain intake runners and such and causes lean conditions on certain cylinders , where a gas " propane" is just that a gas it can not pool and evenly disperses, Plus its easier to get ahold of and 140+ octane is the best way to prevent detonation you can use c16 and such but its not as good at preventing detonation and is still a liquid.

No, not 100% safer bro. The cylinders still see high pressures regardless of fueling used. Propane can be less expensive and achieve the same results as race gas, having less resistance to detonation.
More octane is always better but that can come from e85, or simply higher octane conventional fuels.

The biggest reason why you do not see it is there really is not much of an advantage over easier to tune fuels. Have you any idea how to read a plug when using propane as the enrichment fuel?

It is certainly a cool idea and a feasible one, but it is not as simple as you are wanting it to be.

Also NX and NOS will be zero help on this. I would not start this unless you are comfortable doing nitrous tuning and reading plugs.

is your SN on LS1tech w3s1c0a5t?

your statement above is similar to post number 5 on this Liquid propane as a fuel in a nitrous wet shot set-up - LS1TECH thats why i asked...

I think it is something that is another why not scenario. or a peace of mind.

Why not, added cost and complexity for absolutely no reason. It's been proven time and time again that a 150 shot is nothing on these engines so why try to reinvent the wheel, just stick with what is proven to work. If you planned to run a bigger shot(200+) then I'd say go for it, personally I'm just going to stick with race gas when I want to spray and want to add a nano pusher kit to keep my bottle pressure up thru out a pass. I've noticed a pressure drop of about 200psi on some passes.

Why not, added cost and complexity for absolutely no reason. It's been proven time and time again that a 150 shot is nothing on these engines so why try to reinvent the wheel, just stick with what is proven to work. If you planned to run a bigger shot(200+) then I'd say go for it, personally I'm just going to stick with race gas when I want to spray and want to add a nano pusher kit to keep my bottle pressure up thru out a pass. I've noticed a pressure drop of about 200psi on some passes.

Makes sense for sure not arguing that. I am looking at a system that has propane already and for the price of just a NOS setup so thats the only reason i considered it. I didnt know gas guys were even using propane systems until a few days ago. that i thought was reserved for diesel guys. What system are you running on your truck arresteme?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back