noise when engine is cold

THEDAV

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen -

When I first start up my 10, and the engine is cold, there is a kinda "pinging" noise. It will make the noise after about 20 seconds, then around 25 seconds, then 35, etc. . . . until it finally goes away once the engine is warmed up. It sounds like metal expanding, and have read 1 member say he was told by a viper tech that it was the exhaust manifold expanding with the heat.

I have read through as many threads as I could find on this subject, but was wondering if any other members have had this happen and what can be done to remedy it. The truck runs fine, idle, temp and pressures are all good, it is just annoying and sounds bad :mad: . I thought I read tightening the manifold bolts cured the problem for someone but I couldn't find the post when I went back to look for it. :dontknow:

Any wisdom would be appreciated!:D

Thanks

Not sure about that. But I noticed the cold start ups if you have headers the truck sounds like it has a big cam and lopes really hard.

Dave any "pinging" noise scares the hell outta me. Be absolutely sure that the noise is not predetonation. I would back off until the engine is at operating temp until I knew for sure. Do you have a tuner. What octane fuel can you get?

JAYSSRT said:
Not sure about that. But I noticed the cold start ups if you have headers the truck sounds like it has a big cam and lopes really hard.

yeah she does :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

could be exhaust rattling, mine does a little at start up I think I need to replace a hanger bushing

THEDAV said:
Gentlemen -

When I first start up my 10, and the engine is cold, there is a kinda "pinging" noise. It will make the noise after about 20 seconds, then around 25 seconds, then 35, etc. . . . until it finally goes away once the engine is warmed up. It sounds like metal expanding, and have read 1 member say he was told by a viper tech that it was the exhaust manifold expanding with the heat.

I have read through as many threads as I could find on this subject, but was wondering if any other members have had this happen and what can be done to remedy it. The truck runs fine, idle, temp and pressures are all good, it is just annoying and sounds bad :mad: . I thought I read tightening the manifold bolts cured the problem for someone but I couldn't find the post when I went back to look for it. :dontknow:

Any wisdom would be appreciated!:D

Thanks
Yup, it's the exhaust. A few of us have it. My tech and I at work actually traced it to the exhaust. We used a stethoscope and figured it was coming right around were the mid pipes meet the catback exhaust. The first time that I heard it, I about shit. Thought it was some kind of intermitent engine knock. Because it doesnt sound like your usual exhaust pop. But I knew it wasnt engine, because it'll do it for a few minutes after the truck is off. Funny thing is, it almost completely went away when I installed the Borla catbck.

FATJACK said:
Dave any "pinging" noise scares the hell outta me. Be absolutely sure that the noise is not predetonation. I would back off until the engine is at operating temp until I knew for sure. Do you have a tuner. What octane fuel can you get?

maybe "pinging' isn't the right word for the sound, maybe a tick/knock, but it sounds metallically. Hard to explain.

I don't have any mods on the vehicle, no tune or tuner. The highest octane we have have up here is 90, so that is what I use.

Last edited:
SANTEEN said:
Yup, it's the exhaust. A few of us have it. My tech and I at work actually traced it to the exhaust. We used a stethoscope and figured it was coming right around were the mid pipes meet the catback exhaust. The first time that I heard it, I about shit. Thought it was some kind of intermitent engine knock. Because it doesnt sound like your usual exhaust pop. But I knew it wasnt engine, because it'll do it for a few minutes after the truck is off. Funny thing is, it almost completely went away when I installed the Borla catbck.

hmmmmm, I hope that fixes it on mine when I put my Magnaflow on! :burnout:

THEDAV said:
hmmmmm, I hope that fixes it on mine when I put my Magnaflow on! :burnout:
It was actually worse on my truck with the Magnaflow. It's not gonna hurt anything. It's just annoying and it pretty much goes away after about 5 - 10 minutes of driving.

Chuck Tator aka Viper Wizard, at Tator's Garage told me it was the exhaust manifolds expanding where they meet the heads upon start up. It helps a little if you torque down the manifold bolts to spec.

SANTEEN said:

Did you and your tech ever figure out how to stop it completely? You said you pretty much tracked it down to where it was coming from . . . . .

Maybe I can have them look once I get my exhaust installed.

I read that someone almost cometely got rid of it by tightening the exhaust manifold bolts. In my case, I don't think it was the actual Mopar exhaust that fixed it. I think it was more the fact, that It was being moved around during the install and just ended up in a position that it didn't make the noise.

SANTEEN said:
I read that someone almost cometely got rid of it by tightening the exhaust manifold bolts. In my case, I don't think it was the actual Mopar exhaust that fixed it. I think it was more the fact, that It was being moved around during the install and just ended up in a position that it didn't make the noise.

That was me....Tator's garage knew what the noise was as soon as i described it. And took care of it in 5 mins.:D

FastSRT19 said:
That was me....Tator's garage knew what the noise was as soon as i described it. And took care of it in 5 mins.:D

So they tightened your manifold bolts and it went away???

Did yours make the sound when it was warming up and cooling down too?

I've read enough posts not to be worried about it harming anything, but it sounds REALLY crappy, ya'know?! :mad:

the other thing that is annoying is the noisy valve train on these viper engines when they warm up....... :( for me, a full, louder, B&B exhaust took are of that. :D

Mine does the pop sound too and it sounds like crap ,about every 5 seconds it makes the sound on startup and after cooldown. I will try tightening the exhaust manifold bolts.

The noise you guys are hearing is very normal and happens with many different vehicles.

It is the expansion and contraction of the exhaust system, even the 3.0 Ranger will sound off sometimes when it is cold outside.

There is nothing wrong and this "noise" will not hurt anything.

It is almost like a ringing/pinging sound in the exhaust.

FastSRT19 said:
Chuck Tator aka Viper Wizard, at Tator's Garage told me it was the exhaust manifolds expanding where they meet the heads upon start up. It helps a little if you torque down the manifold bolts to spec.
Ditto:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back