Noob from Houston area

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergioL.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of yesterday I am the new owner of an '04 Silver Viper truck with 55k. It is stock except for a K&N intake and a McGaughys 1.5/2 drop. So far I am loving it. The sound system, handling, and power are NICE! I did my first oil change yesterday with a K&N oil filter. I have missed third a couple of times already(gone into 5th), but I will be removing the rubber bushing on the shifter to see if that helps.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I am a noob.

My truck has polished wheels, I thought these were not available in'04?

My truck has a trailer hitch and bumper with the trailer hitch opening. Did somebody add this? I though '04's did not have this as an option?

My throttle body is very shiny and looks to be obviously made out of billet aluminum. Is it aftermarket?

I can't seem to find a straight answer on this:
What fluid are ya'll using in the T56 and how much does it take?

What gear oil are ya'll using in the diff. and how many quarts does it take?

What engine coolant are ya'll using and what is the capacity of the cooling system?

What spark plugs are recommended?

Is there anything special I should run as far as brake fluid or power steering fluid?

What other things would you do on a 10 with 55k as far as maintenance?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help/information. I want to go through everything before I really start putting miles on her.:rock:

Welcome to the VTCoA:rock:

The wheels are the same for every year... somebody added the hitch... and you have an aftermarket TB.:D

Welcome to the VTCoA.
TB sounds aftermarket.
75w90 on the gear oil.
trailer hitch someone put it on.
Brake and steering fluid no.

I thought the throttle body looked to good to be stock. :D The truck also has Nitto 420s' in the stock sizes with plenty of meat on them.
It is getting washed and waxed today. I will be removing the hitch and spare soon for weight reduction. :chain:

I checked everything out underneath the truck when doing the oil change and I obviously have a power steering leak. I also might have a a small oil leak. I think I have read that this is common and there are upgraded power steering lines?

I would like to change the trans/diff fluid today......

They are known to leak. I went with JTSVP oil and steering lines. No more leaks.:rock:

Whats up bro. Where in pasadena you stay? I live in northshore but always in pasadena

Lethal Hemi-I am close to Southmore/Richey. I'm a lurker on HPT and have seen you post there.

The truck is always right under 14 volts.
Engine oil pressure is 75psi@cold idle and a little above 50psi@ operating temp.
Engine oil temp. is between 205-220 degrees depending on how I'm driving.
What I don't like is that the engine sometimes gets over 200 degrees before the fans turn on. Will adding the 170 degree thermostat I see in a lot of peoples sig. help with that?
Is there a mod to make the fans come on sooner?

Is there a link that can tell me the fluid capacity of the trans/diff?

Last edited:
3.8 quarts on the trans, its easiest to pull the shifter and add it in thru there, I just used 4qts doing it that way. My truck has never gotten to 220(has a 170 tstat) but I've never heard the fan come on even when it gets up around 200. Only way I know of to change when the fan comes on is to get a tunner and have it set lower.

000_0481.jpg

000_0482.jpg

000_0483.jpg

000_0484.jpg

000_0485.jpg

000_0486.jpg

Aybody know what TB this is? It doesn't say anything.

Last edited:
My truck has never gotten to 220(has a 170 tstat) but I've never heard the fan come on even when it gets up around 200. Only way I know of to change when the fan comes on is to get a tunner and have it set lower.

It is the OIL temp. that gets up to 220, the engine gets to around 205.
I've been searching the forums and found the answers for pretty much everything I wanted to know except the coolant capacity for when I do a coolant flush.

Thanks for the help/compliments guys.

Welcome to the RBC

Just did another quick search. I guess the factory oil temp. gauge is not all that accurate and stops working on a lot of trucks.

I also think a previous owner might have swapped to 4:56 gears because the engine is 2,000rpm @ 80mph.

Did you happen to know if the previous owner's name is Allen Burleson? If so he is a good friend of mine and he purchased it from a member on here,so we could know the complete history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back