Now What?

outnumbered

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I looked in the garage last night and looked at the black quad cab that now belongs to someone else (check has been received and cashed), I really started to question my next move. The purpose in selling the truck was to make way for a new Viper, and that may still happen, but is that really what I want to do?

I have spent the last month scouring the internet for Vipers currently sitting on dealer lots. Although I have seen several extremely nice cars, I'm getting caught up in the discussion of the Viper's future, how it compares to the new Z06, as well as the GTR. At the end of the day, I think the Viper "gets the nod". However, I'm also trying to hide the fact that I'm a truck guy. I have been for the last 16 years, and to spend $100k+ on a car, and wish I still had a $30K truck, well, it's not too comforting.

So as I stare at my truck, I don't regret selling it......but do I want to build another--in place of the Viper? If so, it would be a RC, which I would paint, build and make more unique than my previous two 10's.

What I know about myself is that I love changing things. A Viper would really allow none of that. As strange as it may sound, I enjoyed the truck being in the shop for the paint and the engine work as much as I did driving it (ok, maybe not quite as much), because I loved knowing that I was making it better. I'm sure some of you will understand that.

So what happens now? I'm not real sure. I know what the the cost of the Viper would be, and I know what it would cost to build another truck. At the end of the day, it is probably a wash.......but which one am I going to enjoy the most? I guess time will tell.

Crapola, you sound like my bride. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Can't go left, can't go right and most likely can't turn around. You've done made your decision-----another truck. Not just a truck but another 10. You are right on the making better, Viper, maybe a pin strip here or a cup holder there but in the end it really can't be modded up as our 10's can. And it sounds like you really enjoy the modifying out trucks so go for it. Get a "nude" truck and put some fancy clothes on it and a lot of extra juice under the hood. Go for it bro and have a lot of fun in the building. :rock::rock::rock:

We need dudes like you to show us what's next. :D

Crapola, you sound like my bride. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Can't go left, can't go right and most likely can't turn around. You've done made your decision-----another truck. Not just a truck but another 10. You are right on the making better, Viper, maybe a pin strip here or a cup holder there but in the end it really can't be modded up as our 10's can. And it sounds like you really enjoy the modifying out trucks so go for it. Get a "nude" truck and put some fancy clothes on it and a lot of extra juice under the hood. Go for it bro and have a lot of fun in the building. :rock::rock::rock:

Shorty, before I told my wife what I was thinking, I told her she wouldn't understand. Wrong! After 25 years of marriage (this month), she completely understood. She knows in order for me to be content, I have to be doing something. She actually wants me to stay in a truck.

I have already found a candidate (truck) that I would have to completely re-do. It would certainly occupy my time and thought for a while.

yep:rock::rock::rock:

Buy a viper truck to re-do then buy something like this thing, a 520CI stroker, i'd love to drive it.........

You sound like me also (I am on a smaller scale though). I had my truck and slowly made it into what I wanted it to be. Then I sold it and got into a GTO. It took me 3 years to realize I am a truck person. I think my wife knew all along lol. Don't waste 3 years of your life like I did :p

2014-srt-viper-review-2014-medium_31.jpg

I'm a truck guy and I admire your love for pristine and well modded vehicles. Having said that, I want a Viper really bad. Lol

You have been ABSOLUTELY no help this morning!:p Actually, maybe you have.

How about a new RT Ram RC and swap the 5.7 with a gen IV viper or wait a year and put in the 6.2L supercharged Wildcat engine. You could build this and still have $$ in your pocket compared to buying the new Viper.

Any reason you aren't wanting to buy a Gen3 viper and modify it and make it what you want? Im a truck guy too, I DD a 1 ton dually, but the vipers are WAY more fun IMO than the trucks are. I loved my SRT10 ram because it could do anything I wanted, except haul more than 2 people, which is the only reason I sold it. But as a toy, I enjoy the vipers more. A H/C gen 3 lowered on nice wheels is hard to not like! I have a customer with 4 vipers, and his 06 slate/silver stripe coupe lowered on copperhead wheels and minor mods is still my favorite (even over the 1200whp twin turbo street serpent body kit 06 coupe).

How about a new RT Ram RC and swap the 5.7 with a gen IV viper or wait a year and put in the 6.2L supercharged Wildcat engine. You could build this and still have $$ in your pocket compared to buying the new Viper.

Cool idea too! Gen4 takeouts are becoming more available, and although not an easy swap, it is doable. Gen3 would be even easier.

Any reason you aren't wanting to buy a Gen3 viper and modify it and make it what you want? Im a truck guy too, I DD a 1 ton dually, but the vipers are WAY more fun IMO than the trucks are. I loved my SRT10 ram because it could do anything I wanted, except haul more than 2 people, which is the only reason I sold it. But as a toy, I enjoy the vipers more. A H/C gen 3 lowered on nice wheels is hard to not like! I have a customer with 4 vipers, and his 06 slate/silver stripe coupe lowered on copperhead wheels and minor mods is still my favorite (even over the 1200whp twin turbo street serpent body kit 06 coupe).

Justin, maybe I am being a little too biased on the new Viper, but I have basically made the decision based on everything I have read; which is that the new Viper is a completely different machine. I like a lot of the "creature comforts" that it offers, yet still being somewhat of a "bull in a china shop".

Good ideas, especially the Wildcat motor scenario. If they would go ahead and drop that in the truck, my situation would get even more difficult.

Justin, maybe I am being a little too biased on the new Viper, but I have basically made the decision based on everything I have read; which is that the new Viper is a completely different machine. I like a lot of the "creature comforts" that it offers, yet still being somewhat of a "bull in a china shop".

Have you sat in a Gen 5? Easily one of the smallest interiors I have ever been in.

FWIW, there is a Vooodoo out there on the market, has less than 1000 miles on the clock

I have not driven a Gen5 yet, so I cant comment there. If you can live with the SRT-10 Ram interior/creature comforts, a Gen 3/4 would be similar, minus the cruise and heated seats. A few friends and customers have gen 4's and I personally would much rather have a Gen 3 and make it my own then pay $15-20K more for a Gen4. Although I haven't driven a Gen 5, I would have a real hard time paying double for one over a clean 06 coupe. As you know, you get what you pay for, how much do you want to pay...:)
Justin

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back