NYCSTEVE ENGINE BUID DETAILS/DYNO

Steve
Great news,:burnout: :burnout: Glad the build went o.k. -- Excellent results :rock: worth the Time:) , Money:( , and agravation:mad: I'm sure. Very impressive numbers .. Looking forward to meeting up with ya again in a few weeks, and check out the truck.:rock:

Jim

nycstev said:
He mentioned it would benefit from headers. Is the flow characteristics of the shorties equivalent to the long tube? I dont really want to carve up a 3500 exhaust system set up for stocke exhaust manifolds

All hi performance engines will benefit from headers, in my opinion. Anything that helps get more volume of air through the engine with less restriction and/or faster will result in more power all things considered. This has been the topic of some debate about our engines, but in my opinion, while our engines are "different" than most, they are none the less an engine, plain and simple. The next time I see a funny car, or a pro stocker, or yadda, yadda, yadda that runs down the track in some serious competition, sporting cast iron manifolds, I might change my mind, but based on the fact that every drag race vehicle you have ever seen has headers, I would say that most folks agree, there's a purpose for them.

All that said, that decision, like everything else done to a car, is a cost per HP consideration for the owner. I think they are well worth the money. Why spend thousands of dollars trying to get more volume through an engine, then choke it on the exhaust? Makes no sense to me...but that's just me...:D ;)

Riff62 said:
Wheres Nowhat when we need him?...lol
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

:confused: Is it only me, but don't you guys think his air/fuel ratio is a bit too lean?

Brat said:
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Nowhat didnt believe in headers on the Supertank..Some tried to persuade him otherwise. This thread was looking like a header/no header thing..lol

TNVIPER said:
...:dito:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It would be a bad thing to see him blow up another motor right after he just got it built and running.

The numbers you posted are nice, but I wouldn't push the motor that hard to get extra 15-20 hp out of it. Give it a safer tune and you will enjoy her much more that's just my 2 cents.

Riff62 said:
Nowhat didnt believe in headers on the Supertank..Some tried to persuade him otherwise. This thread was looking like a header/no header thing..lol
Well there will be no headers for me cuz I have maxed out my "auto repair" budget for 09:(

LitemUp said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It would be a bad thing to see him blow up another motor right after he just got it built and running.

The numbers you posted are nice, but I wouldn't push the motor that hard to get extra 15-20 hp out of it. Give it a safer tune and you will enjoy her much more that's just my 2 cents.
Thanks Litemup.. Ill have them recheck this but they tuned it with Sean.

nycstev said:
Thanks Litemup.. Ill have them recheck this but they tuned it with Sean.

Your A/F should stay at 11.8 to 12 in the higher RPMs....its between 4500 to 5500 your A/F gets high....dangerous especially with higher boost....

TNVIPER said:
Your A/F should stay at 11.8 to 12 in the higher RPMs....its between 4500 to 5500 your A/F gets high....dangerous especially with higher boost....
So your saying its ok except for that range 45-5500?

nycstev said:
So they leaned it out to get more power on the second pull/?

Looking back at the graph I just noticed the red line is labeled a baseline run and the black line the final run...so the black line is the tune you have now...is this correct?

TNVIPER said:
Looking back at the graph I just noticed the red line is labeled a baseline run and the black line the final run...so the black line is the tune you have now...is this correct?
tThe blue line is trhe first pull @ 590. The red line is the second pull @ 668 after tuning. Dont know what the dotted line is

nycstev said:
tThe blue line is trhe first pull @ 590. The red line is the second pull @ 668 after tuning. Dont know what the dotted line is

They are labeled the opposite...you might verify with the tuner....the dotted line is for reference and not produced by the dyno..

To clear up any confusion for you, according to the dyno graph, the red line is the last pull (or possibly just the best pull), pull #8. The blue line is the 2nd pull made, so at least 8 pulls were made. IMO the A/F is way too lean for forced induction, it should be low low 12's at the highest, I prefer 11.5 to 12.0, typically you will make the most power here as well anyway, leaning it out doesnt always make more power. The dotted line is just a reference for 13.0 A/F, it is only there to be able to read the chart easier. Also your #'s are in STD with a correction factor of 1.03 on the bigger #'s, which means the truck actually made 649/645 that day on that dyno. Im guessing it feels night and day different than before, good #'s regardless, but call Sean directly and get his .02 on the A/F.
Justin

JMB Justin said:
To clear up any confusion for you, according to the dyno graph, the red line is the last pull (or possibly just the best pull), pull #8. The blue line is the 2nd pull made, so at least 8 pulls were made. IMO the A/F is way too lean for forced induction, it should be low low 12's at the highest, I prefer 11.5 to 12.0, typically you will make the most power here as well anyway, leaning it out doesnt always make more power. The dotted line is just a reference for 13.0 A/F, it is only there to be able to read the chart easier. Also your #'s are in STD with a correction factor of 1.03 on the bigger #'s, which means the truck actually made 649/645 that day on that dyno. Im guessing it feels night and day different than before, good #'s regardless, but call Sean directly and get his .02 on the A/F.
Justin
Thanks for the clarification. I will investigate further.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back