Occasional High Idle Problems??!!

SRTcracka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to the site, and new to the SRT family. I have enjoyed this site so far, and have gotten some great info for performance upgrades.

Now to my prob....I am having an occasional problem with my truck not dropping down to normal idle when the clutch is pressed, or when the tranny is in neutral....usually when slowing for a light, traffic..etc. Seems to happen more often when AC/defrost is on. All gauge readings are normal, no check engine lights, and the cables to the throttle body seem to be operating normally. Has anyone ever had this problem, or have any thoughts on what might be causing this. It is a minor but very irritating problem. Thanks in advance!

SRTcracka said:
Hello everyone! I am new to the site, and new to the SRT family. I have enjoyed this site so far, and have gotten some great info for performance upgrades.

Now to my prob....I am having an occasional problem with my truck not dropping down to normal idle when the clutch is pressed, or when the tranny is in neutral....usually when slowing for a light, traffic..etc. Seems to happen more often when AC/defrost is on. All gauge readings are normal, no check engine lights, and the cables to the throttle body seem to be operating normally. Has anyone ever had this problem, or have any thoughts on what might be causing this. It is a minor but very irritating problem. Thanks in advance!

Replace or have the TPs(throttle position sensor) replaced

Welcome to the forum! It couldn't be because of the AC. AC have nothing to do with the idle problem...well I could be wrong. Try turn the AC off and see if there is any different. Stinker probably is right about the TPS...try replace it and see if it solve the problem. If not, take it to the dealership.

i'v had that problem ever since i put on my roe throttlebody.. but it's not to bad... still stays around 1k but it will drop back down to 500-600

I,ve had a few calls about this concern lately also.
Replace the T.P.S.,Its seems to be happening to the R/Cs,as I haven,t heard a concern with Q/Cs:dontknow:

Tooloe said:
i'v had that problem ever since i put on my roe throttlebody.. but it's not to bad... still stays around 1k but it will drop back down to 500-600
Me 2 :( :(

nycstev said:

Possibly due to A slight mispositioning of the T.P.S. mount screw holes?
I Have solved a few T.P.S concerns by lightly oblonging the mounting holes in the T.P.S. and adjusting(1/1000-3/1000).

my TPS had to be replaced (truck was idling erratically and bucking) local dealer actually had one in stock! replaced under warranty.

SRTcracka said:

My t.p.s. got water in it and went into the high idle mode until it dried out again. Sometimes a few hours, sometimes way longer.
No check engine lights.
It cost me around 25 horsepower as well because the e.c.u. never saw a w.o.t. signal from the t.p.s. and it went into some kind of limp dick mode with timing and fuel delivery. The tech said it was operating through 70% of its normal range,
It cost me 2.5 to 3 m.p.h. at the track (approx. 25 horsepower). I could tell power was down on the truck, it damn near drove me nuts...

I think I may have found something....the hose that connects from the idle air control to the main air intake hose is gone. It has been pulling in unfiltered air from the engine conpartment. Could that be causing my idle problems?? Maybe it has damaged the TPS?

SRTcracka said:
I think I may have found something....the hose that connects from the idle air control to the main air intake hose is gone. It has been pulling in unfiltered air from the engine conpartment. Could that be causing my idle problems?? Maybe it has damaged the TPS?

No, it wouldn't damage your t.p.s.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back