Odd problem with the truck today. . .

jontyre said:
Went to the dealer first Roz, they wont cover shit since I have the HIDs. Dealers suck, and they wonder why they are all going bankrupt! No service anymore..

Damnit man. What that stupid thing set you back? (You can PM if you prefer.) My dealer treats me pretty well. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what I can do. I hope they can do something.

Black1 said:
:D :D :D :D ........ It's Monday.... You aint got no job.... you ain't got SHIT to do tomorrow.... :D :D :D :D :dontknow: :eek: :p

:cheers:

That's what Griff and I said last Thurs!!!! :cheers: We both killed a bottle (5th) of elixier (each) within an hour and a half. Kristee said we were blasted. She had to call Cort to come pick me up! :laugh:

Roz-SRT said:

That's what Griff and I said last Thurs!!!! :cheers: We both killed a bottle (5th) of elixier (each) within an hour and a half. Kristee said we were blasted. She had to call Cort to come pick me up! :laugh:

That's cool! .... You didn't have anything to do the next day.... so you CREATED something to do. :dontknow:

. SLEEP! :D :rock: :burnout:

I just had the TIPM replaced twice by the dealer (first replacement was defective), the second one had to be made by a vendor in New Jersey!! truck was down for 5 weeks.
Good luck, hope its something else.

BCsrt10 said:
I just had the TIPM replaced twice by the dealer (first replacement was defective), the second one had to be made by a vendor in New Jersey!! truck was down for 5 weeks.
Good luck, hope its something else.

Damn, this isn't what I wanted to hear. What was the problem you were having?

jontyre, what symptoms were you having? I asked earlier in the thread, but it's probably easily overlooked since I quoted several people at once. :)

GADodgeTech, dragon, TheMoparConnection, what do you advise? Have you seen/heard of this problem before? I have yet to speak to my dealer. I want to be armed with as much info as possible before I contact them.

moparracing said:
wow, the TIPM on '06's seems to be a weak link....... glad i have an '05. :)

Yeah. I've read on other sites that are non SRT10 specific where several other people had problems with the TIPM. It's crap. :mad: :eek: One guy had his headlights quit while going down the road! How messed up would that be! I'm "lucky" mine is just the fog portion of the lighting system!

Roz-SRT said:
Damn, this isn't what I wanted to hear. What was the problem you were having?

jontyre, what symptoms were you having? I asked earlier in the thread, but it's probably easily overlooked since I quoted several people at once. :)

GADodgeTech, dragon, TheMoparConnection, what do you advise? Have you seen/heard of this problem before? I have yet to speak to my dealer. I want to be armed with as much info as possible before I contact them.
We had an 06 diesel in the other day with aftermarket backup lights tied into the tipm. they shorted and the tipm needed to be replaced. It sounds like the tipm is bad on your truck, but its hard to tell since I cant see exactly what the truck is doing. Go to your dealer and have them check it out. Not to shit on your pancakes but tipm's are hella expensive. :(

Also see if there are any stored codes in the computer.

GADodgetech said:
We had an 06 diesel in the other day with aftermarket backup lights tied into the tipm. they shorted and the tipm needed to be replaced. It sounds like the tipm is bad on your truck, but its hard to tell since I cant see exactly what the truck is doing. Go to your dealer and have them check it out. Not to shit on your pancakes but tipm's are hella expensive. :(

Also see if there are any stored codes in the computer.

Thanks for chiming in! I knew these babies weren't cheap. I personally checked for codes (via the on/off x 3 procedure) and it didn't display anything. I was reading on my Service Manual DVD that a certain SPX tool is needed to retrive this type of code.

I may just have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. It figures this would happens as soon as the warranty runs out!

ON MY 05 Q/C, I HAVE HID HEAD LIGHTS AND FOG LAMPS,THE GUY THAT INSTALLED THEM SAID THAT THE LIGHTS WORK ON PULSE INSTEAD OF DIRECT,,WHAT EVER THE HELL THAT MEANS, BUT SOME TIMES I HAVE TO HIT HIGH BEAMS THEN LOW BEAMS WHEN ONE OF THE FOG LIGHTS DONT FLICK ON, MY LAMP OUT LIGHT IS ALWAYS ON, BECOUSE I DONT HAVE HIGH BEAMS, THE FOG LIGHTS TURN OFF WHEN YOU HIT HIGH BEAM,THATS HOW THEY WORK,, ON MINE I GUESS IT TRIGGERS IT WHEN I FLICK LOW TO HIGH ,IT S A THOUGHT,,,,

Roz-SRT said:
Yeah. I've read on other sites that are non SRT10 specific where several other people had problems with the TIPM. It's crap. :mad: :eek: One guy had his headlights quit while going down the road! How messed up would that be! I'm "lucky" mine is just the fog portion of the lighting system!

Is there any way to bypass the TIPM? :confused: :dontknow: Just a thought.... :eek:

...... There is a simillar light control unit in the BMW's I used to own (3 and 5 series). It always went out too.... and was a $450 part. :argh: :argh: :argh: :mad:

Black1 said:
Is there any way to bypass the TIPM? :confused: :dontknow: Just a thought.... :eek:

...... There is a simillar light control unit in the BMW's I used to own (3 and 5 series). It always went out too.... and was a $450 part. :argh: :argh: :argh: :mad:

I've thought about bypassing it. It'd require installing another switch (and fuse for safety) or having them constantly on if I fed them from a switch (ignition) operated source. WHICH would be kinda cool. I could use the fog-lights as the DRL's (similar to GM's setup) and not have the rest of the lights come on. (tails, markers etc) :stupid: :idea:

Roz-SRT said:
I've thought about bypassing it. It'd require installing another switch (and fuse for safety) or having them constantly on if I fed them from a switch (ignition) operated source. WHICH would be kinda cool. I could use the fog-lights as the DRL's (similar to GM's setup) and not have the rest of the lights come on. (tails, markers etc) :stupid: :idea:

Hehehhehehe.... Getaway lights.... :D ;)

Roz-SRT said:
Thanks for chiming in! I knew these babies weren't cheap. I personally checked for codes (via the on/off x 3 procedure) and it didn't display anything. I was reading on my Service Manual DVD that a certain SPX tool is needed to retrive this type of code.

I may just have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. It figures this would happens as soon as the warranty runs out!
The ignition turning off and on procedure will only tell you the codes in the pcm. There are twenty other places you could have codes. Do you have any friends at the dealer? Did you go to the dealer for all of your services? At my shop we try to work with our "good" customers. Say we had a customer with 36,700 miles on his truck and his motor locks up. If that customer came to us for little things like oil changes, tune ups, etc. We would put on the RO that he only had 35,700 miles and viola new motor. Bring a 6 pack to your service writer and see what he can do for you:rock: :rock: :rock: Oh and dont forget the 6 pack for the tech. :D

Last edited:
GADodgetech said:
The ignition turning off and on procedure will only tell you the codes in the pcm. There twenty other places you could have codes. Do you have any friends at the dealer? Did you go to the dealer for all off your problems? At my shop we try to work with our "good" customers. Say we had a customer with 36,700 miles on his truck and his motor locks up. If that customer came to us for little things like oil changes, tune ups, etc. We would put on the RO that he only had 35,700 miles and viola new motor. Bring a 6 pack to your service writer and see what he can do for you:rock: :rock: :rock: Oh and dont forget the 6 pack for the tech. :D

I'm not real "good" to my dealer. I've done all my own oil changes/services, and my truck has only been in there twice. Both were for warranty related issues. Like I said, I'm trying to arm myself with as much info as possible before I go.

Roz-SRT said:
I'm not real "good" to my dealer. I've done all my own oil changes/services, and my truck has only been in there twice. Both were for warranty related issues. Like I said, I'm trying to arm myself with as much info as possible before I go.
To me it sounds like the TIPM. Take it to the dealer to be sure, thats the best bet.

Sorry Roz for the delay, I had no other symptons with my truck other than fog light failure. Truck runs fine, starts fine, everything else is great. I'm gonna go to a different dealer tommorrow and see what happens with some more info and hopefully I wont get jerked around. Any update on your side?

Update for the Roz:
Went to another dealer told them my problem. They covered everything under warranty, and got the part in 2 days. They installed the part and wala! Fog lights work again. Just to let you know, if you have to pay for the part I saw the receipt and just for the part it was 340. Ouch.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back