OEM Air Intake System

Not disagreeing with you on the debate but the guys post just stated his research and asked if anyone had a stock one there wasnt a question on what he should do or which is better just a statement.

I agree on the ram air going to the intake vs the engine bay by far. Owning several "big rigs" I know the fuel savings and performance of cold air going in the engine vs the engine bay on a large level. I took 4 Identical trucks engine and body wise and simply wrapped all the hot parts in fiberglass and all the charge pipes with a insulated foil type wrap and cooled the tempature at the intake manifold 19 degrees pulling a 7% grade with 80,000 lbs and gained 6lbs of boost seeing my turbos are not regulated by a waste gate. over a 6 month period one truck averaged .13MPG gain and the other gained .20 over all with multiple drivers. That right there was saving me $30,000 plus a year just on two trucks.

So the first thing I saw on my new viper powered beautiful engine was a heat soaking hp robbing aluminum intake manifold, granted there isnt much you could do with that short of dumping ice on it every 5miles my point is cooler air has more density and more oxygen per cm2 so the computer can add more fuel per glorious stoke!

Trainman;1151072 What minimal air goes into the scoop at higher speeds only gives a little more volume to the intake charge. A simple fact is that hood scoops have been used on Muscle cars since the 60's....so it's not retarded....taking hotter air from under the hood or fender area is retarded. I really don't like being insulted....:dontknow:[/QUOTE said:
I don't have to insult you your contradictions speak for them selves!!

This thread was about the quality of the volant. And that's what we are debating. People dog them cause they're expensive but were building vipers not hemi's. they're not cheap and I just hate people that buy the trucks and find out they're expensive in every aspect of anything you do to them.so they leave them stock and use trash talk to cover up the point they can't afford to do anything to them. This kind of performance isn't and never will be cheap!

Has nothing to do with being cheap...I'd rather be smart with my money...why would I pay several hundred bucks on something that provides the some HP gain as a lil thought and at a fraction of the cost??..yeah OK keep acting like you have money, to justify your costly purchase!!you wanna act like you got money fool then why did you waste it on some Gibson headers...what's wrong couldn't afford some big boy headers???

Last edited:
I don't have to insult you your contradictions speak for them selves!!

Look at my pic in previous post trainman and I utilized the bottom opening in the volant that forces more are into the engine. It looks factory on my truck so you'll have to look hard to see it

Has nothing to do with being cheap...I'd rather be smart with my money...why would I pay several hundred bucks on something that provides the some HP gain as a lil thought and at a fraction of the cost??..yeah OK keep acting like you have money, to justify your costly purchase!!

Just saying money doesn't go far on these trucks even the under drive pulley will set you back 250-300 and if you're not smart enough to buy a programmer your waisting time with any mods you do pretty much. Point being volant was my first mod and it increased my trap speed by 3mph in essence showing the stock box robs the vehicle of much needed air.

I don't think they are trying to be uncivil. The debate over is the Volant the best CAI ever or the worst mod one can do, is common round these parts. I can tell you that I believe the science supports the fact that it hinders performance. I can also tell you that I have never talked to anyone that was not totally satisfied after having installed one.

Talk to me. And I never said it was the BEST, I have always said I LIKE mine and it WORKS for me, my results speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with being cheap...I'd rather be smart with my money...why would I pay several hundred bucks on something that provides the some HP gain as a lil thought and at a fraction of the cost??..yeah OK keep acting like you have money, to justify your costly purchase!!you wanna act like you got money fool then why did you waste it on some Gibson headers...what's wrong couldn't afford some big boy headers???

There are ways...to be smart with money...but since we're talking about the Volant.....I got mine used for a very low price....and the original poster of this thread bought his truck with the Volant already on....so it didn't cost him anything. Ray Webb gained 3 mph in the 1/4 mile, I have consistently ran faster than nearly every NA truck on this site.....even before I did any weight reduction, which shows it works for the two of us. You apparently don't have one, or have never tried one, have never posted a 1/4 time or speed to prove or disprove how bad the Volant is or how good whatever system you think is better. I have reported real world results hundreds of times on here with my times....and as of yet....nothing concrete from you. So show me the hard data....otherwise you're just offereing an opinion:dontknow:

I think someone might have opened a second account to start some shit lol

Talk to me. And I never said it was the BEST, I have always said I LIKE mine and it WORKS for me, my results speak for themselves.

I'm not really sure how this turned into the heated debate that it seems to be. And I certainly agree with you that your results speak for themselves. That is why I mentioned your name at the beginning of this thread. You more than anyone have been meticulous and transparent about documenting your mods and the results. Therefore it is worth noting and considering the things that you feel work.

I personally feel that zero air will move in through the hood scoop because it is a low pressure front. That doesn't mean that my opinion is gospel. In fact, if I was a new guy here, I would look at my high 12 second truck vs your mid 11 second truck, and the choice would be obvious.

Trainman your Awesome results are not from your volant super duper modified intake I assure you that

Went back and read all your threads and there is not one comparing your runs with a stock air box and the volant
So lets not get all the new guys excited thinking they can go buy a volant and run 11's
;)

Sent from my iPhone 6 while driving 100 mph on a dirt road

Trainman your Awesome results are not from your volant super duper modified intake I assure you that

Went back and read all your threads and there is not one comparing your runs with a stock air box and the volant
So lets not get all the new guys excited thinking they can go buy a volant and run 11's
;)

What I was saying is that back when my truck was basically like most everyone elses, stock weight, headers, Magnaflow and a tune...I was running 109-110+ while all the others were in the 106-108 range, the major difference other than the driver was my Volant, with the extra scoop behind the grill. That's all Im sayin! And NO, a Volant won't get you anywhere near the 11's.....most of the credit for that goes to the weight reduction, ported intake, JTS VenomTB...and my custom true dual equal length catless exhaust with an x-pipe (a gain of 30 ftlbs over the Magnaflow).

Last edited:
Don't forget your custom tune sir

It really doesn't matter anymore because your truck is fixin to be on the next level!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364302764.783431.jpg

Jeepers, we all know the JMB CAI is the best. The volant is a ugly POS.

True it's not pretty lol but my setup pulls way more cold air than the jmb or any of the others. Like I said I picked up 3mph on trap speed so it was enough to show me the stock box smothers the engine at higher rpms

True it's not pretty lol but my setup pulls way more cold air than the jmb or any of the others. Like I said I picked up 3mph on trap speed so it was enough to show me the stock box smothers the engine at higher rpms
I'll play devils advocate: What was the DA difference for your before and after tests? What were your 60' times? 3MPH is easy to pick up with a well prepped surface or good air.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back