Oil capacity

trw0042

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just was curious because i have seen some people fight over whether its the truck or the viper that holds 11 or 8 quarts. Which is it for the truck?

ViperTruck2933 said:
My 04 hits the FULL mark on the stick with 8.5 quarts.;)
Same for my 2005 Quad Cab SRT-10.

Apparently some listing in the Dodge Service Computer inaccurately lists the 2004>Up Viper Ram's engine oil capacity at 11 quarts, which started all this confusiuon.
Some dealer service departments are actually putting in the 11 quarts and blowing out rear main seals. Others are stopping when it hits the full mark (about 8.5 qts) and still charging for the 11 quarts. And yet others are getting it right both in the service and in billing - they apparently can think without a computer.

Last edited:
FlyingLow said:
The difference is due to a different oil pan. 8.5 is the correct amount.
That is correct - Unless you go to my dumbass dealer and they want to put in 11 - go figure, such techs they have :dontknow:

You can probably find it in your owner's manual that should have come with your truck (if you got it new anyways)...:D

the vipers have a bigger sump pan to hold 11qts. the truck has a smaller pan due to the trucks frame rail running under the pan. the truck holds between 8-8.5 qts. add a little at a time, so you DONT overfill it.:burnout:

I bet somebody will put 11 qrts into Blake's truck.....:D ...just the way his luck goes....

Ya i did buy it new, and i did check my owners manual. BUt just had to check because i had heard that there was some mis prints about the 8 and 11 quarts. But 8.5 sounds like that number. Thanks guys for the help

trw0042 said:
Ya i did buy it new, and i did check my owners manual. BUt just had to check because i had heard that there was some mis prints about the 8 and 11 quarts. But 8.5 sounds like that number. Thanks guys for the help
Definitiely NOT 11 quarts!! - Cool glad you got it all figgered out :D

Not sure what the owners manual says, but the rear end takes 75-140 synthetic (and a reputable dealer recommends 2 bottles of friction modifier) .. My stupid dealer put bulk 90 weight in mine. They were a little pissy when they had to re-do it with the correct product.

Just a heads up incase you find conflicting info in the manual on that also.

OK - I'm scaring myself with technical posts now - gotta get back to hoing!! ;)

Last edited:
The way I remember mine is kinda cheesy but it works...8.3L - 8.3 qt :D (fine-tune from there and add a little @ a time)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back