Oil Filter

Marc T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, which oil filter is it that was making noise!! I think I may be experiaecing this with mine. Sounds like a small blower and is sensitive to the throttle position???:dontknow:

I will change it out too see if that is creating the noise. What is the preferred filter to use??

I beleive it was posted that the factory Viper specific filter was doing that ---I use the mopar factory filter and have never heard any noises

its not the filter makin the noise. its the by-pass valve chatterin & the oil cooler amplifyin it.
next time it does it, pop your hood & feel the oil cooler, oil cooler mount or oil cooler lines to see if thats it.

ZCx said:
its not the filter makin the noise. its the by-pass valve chatterin & the oil cooler amplifyin it.
next time it does it, pop your hood & feel the oil cooler, oil cooler mount or oil cooler lines to see if thats it.
Why does it do it with certain filters?

the best i can tell is the less restritive the filter is the more the pulses hit the oil cooler.
the the vibrations go through the oil cooler mount, cab, frame, etc. mine got so bad it was rattlein the dash.
got several post on here about it & one with photos in the Exotic Engine section

ZCx said:
the best i can tell is the less restritive the filter is the more the pulses hit the oil cooler.
the the vibrations go through the oil cooler mount, cab, frame, etc. mine got so bad it was rattlein the dash.
got several post on here about it & one with photos in the Exotic Engine section

Were you able to hear it at idle speeds?? Mine only does it at higher rpm's??

at first yep. at certain rpm's, around 2,000 & temp. got to where could hear it at start up cold. a bit like p/s whine. then the oil cooler line let loose & i replaced them with much less restritive stainless lines & AN fittings & really made it show up.
factory oil cooler lines are a friggin joke.
be great if everyone got Stinkers Lifetime oil cooler lines & check with Kevin @ Exotic Engines to see if your engine needs the up date.
he will need the "casting number" off the front cover to see if its needed.
mine was driver's side right in front of the oil pump by-pass plunger bore.
a mirror & flashlight makes it way easy
Kevin also recommends the white Viper oil filter

Last edited:
My was the Canton filter with replaceable cartridge filter. I thought it was the oil cooler and even got a new one under warranty. The sound would only be around when the engine was just a little warm. Really cold or completely warmed up and it would go away. Here is a sound clip.

FlyingLow said:
My was the Canton filter with replaceable cartridge filter. I thought it was the oil cooler and even got a new one under warranty. The sound would only be around when the engine was just a little warm. Really cold or completely warmed up and it would go away. Here is a sound clip.

Thanks Scott,

My noise is nothing like that, sounds more like a high pitched small super Charger whine.

An no guys I am not hearing the SC!!;) :p

Using factory Mopar filter...#05281090...No problems at all...

Marc,

I had the problem with an aftermarket filter but have not had the problem with either of the two oem filters...pictured below (viper filter on the right):

IMG_0001.jpg

I remember someone changed their filter and the gasket from the old oil filter did not come off, so they had to gaskets on the oil filter. Just a thought.

I would get that same "SC Whine" at startup, could really hear it if in the garage. At that time I was running a M1 filter. When I went back to a Mopar filter it stopped.

ZCx said:
at first yep. at certain rpm's, around 2,000 & temp. got to where could hear it at start up cold. a bit like p/s whine. then the oil cooler line let loose & i replaced them with much less restritive stainless lines & AN fittings & really made it show up.
factory oil cooler lines are a friggin joke.
be great if everyone got Stinkers Lifetime oil cooler lines & check with Kevin @ Exotic Engines to see if your engine needs the up date.
he will need the "casting number" off the front cover to see if its needed.
mine was driver's side right in front of the oil pump by-pass plunger bore.
a mirror & flashlight makes it way easy
Kevin also recommends the white Viper oil filter

What update are you talking about ? :dontknow:

the oil pump by-pass has been updated

I just checked, I am using the Black Mopar filter??:dontknow: :dontknow:

Can anyoneelaborate on this oil pump bypass update?? Never heard of it???:dontknow:

get a holt of Kevin @ Exotic Engine.
i asked 2 dealerships here if it was a TBS type deal & they did not know of one.
Dodge has "updated" the spring & plunger, so there must be some type of prob.
IMVHO the different oil filters either make it louder or cover it up. not fix the prob/cause
all i know is mine was real bad & the one Kevin sold me fixed the prob & thats tryin it with the filters that made the most noise also

Last edited:
04 SRT 10 said:
Using factory Mopar filter...#05281090...No problems at all...
I had the same problem with the Mopar FE292 and the Viper filter, changed it to the one mentioned here which is what was on the truck from the factory and have never heard the noise again.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back