Oil Filter

Alot of you have stated that you are using the dodge black mopar oil filters. I was told by my local viper tech that some viper motors during racing have blown holes in that filter during high temps. He told me to only use the white viper emblemed oil filter. Has anyone else heard of this?

5_0_BAIT said:
Alot of you have stated that you are using the dodge black mopar oil filters. I was told by my local viper tech that some viper motors during racing have blown holes in that filter during high temps. He told me to only use the white viper emblemed oil filter. Has anyone else heard of this?

I went to the dealer today, the white viper filter is listed for the 06.

It is the one pictured on Prof's post on this thread. I have purchased the K&N for now and will see if the noise disapears.

Prof, are you using the Viper filter on your truck? If so any problems??

Marc T said:
I went to the dealer today, the white viper filter is listed for the 06.

It is the one pictured on Prof's post on this thread. I have purchased the K&N for now and will see if the noise disapears.

Prof, are you using the Viper filter on your truck? If so any problems??

Using the white one no problems...

Roy

My truck still had the whining noise with the white Mopar Viper filter. The only one that works for me is the Black one part #05281090.

5_0_BAIT said:

I had to have the oil pan gasket replaced on my truck last year due to a leak. I scheduled the appointment on a Saturday and waited on the truck which gave me the opportunity to talk to the tech while he was doing the work. I had bought a case of the black 05281090 Mopar filters at a discount from them earlier and brought my own Mobil1 oil and a filter with me. When it came time to refill the crankcase and put a new filter on the tech mentioned the then new white Viper filters and said that Chrysler had determined that the black filters were bypassing XX% of the time on the Viper motors and recommened that I put the white Viper filter on instead, to which I said, "Sure!"

I have put a little over a thousand miles on the truck since then and every time I start it on a cold engine I get "the whine." It didn't show up for about a month or so after it was installed, but when the reports started showing up here soon afterward, I knew it had to be the filter.

That noise drives me friggin' nuts and excessive bypassing or not, I'm going back to the black OEM filter when I change the oil either this weekend or next. I fully expect the noise to go away as soon as I do.

Snakebit said:
I have put a little over a thousand miles on the truck since then and every time I start it on a cold engine I get "the whine." It didn't show up for about a month or so after it was installed, but when the reports started showing up here soon afterward, I knew it had to be the filter.

That noise drives me friggin' nuts and excessive bypassing or not, I'm going back to the black OEM filter when I change the oil either this weekend or next. I fully expect the noise to go away as soon as I do.

Please let us know how it works out for you after you change it back to the black filter.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back