Oil question

05 Nemesis Prime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 QC calls for 0w40 Mobil 1. I am wanting to change the oil to Royal Purple. What harm will it do to "Grace" if I went and changed my oil to 5w30 or 5w40?

15w40 or 15w50 is the way to go.

Cold climes use 15w40 during the winter and 15w50 summer or warm climes.

Just depends on your climate. It's warm here in California and I use 10w30. The first number just tells you what the oil viscosity is at start up. You want it to be as thin as possible in a cold environment. The last set tells you what it is at operating temp. Some say put 40 to lessen valve train noise.

What weight do you guys recommend for summer: 70-95F and winter: 40-60F ? I'm currently running Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W40.

Carlwalski said:
What weight do you guys recommend for summer: 70-95F and winter: 40-60F ? I'm currently running Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W40.

Sounds like the perfect choice....:rock:

05 Nemesis Prime said:
My 05 QC calls for 0w40 Mobil 1. I am wanting to change the oil to Royal Purple. What harm will it do to "Grace" if I went and changed my oil to 5w30 or 5w40?

you named your truck?
stick with 0-40 it flows quicker when you first start it.

I figured I would give her a girly name because she has me by the balls and because of the sadistic ways she gets me to buy her things. 0w40 it is, just thinking of a way to save a penny. Better if I didn't, she would probably get pissed if I went a cheaper to save money.

You know my buddy swears up and down that royal purple gives you extra horsepower. Im not sure if I believe that..

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
It would change the color of the oil to purple:p

Wait, what? Is Royal Purple actually purple?

And for some reason I'm trying to rhyme "purple" in my head now, but all I'm coming up with is "quadruple."

Vman455 said:

And for some reason I'm trying to rhyme "purple" in my head now, but all I'm coming up with is "quadruple."

Two words that are used today rhyming with purple are hirple (to walk with a limp and similar meanings) and curple (the rump or posterior, also used for a strap under a horse to prevent the saddle moving).

Circle, turtle, fertile, girdle, herbal, and verbal don't exactly rhyme with purple; they don't end with "ple", but they are very close.

Vman455 said:

Yep, its purple! Been using it in mine since first oil change...Looks like grape Kool-Aid :D

FSTJACK said:
15w40 or 15w50 is the way to go.

Cold climes use 15w40 during the winter and 15w50 summer or warm climes.

Jack, I know we have had this conversation before but...
Doesn't it raise the oil pressure waaaaaay up?:dontknow:
I have always stuck with 0W40 cause I'm skeered to change.:afraid:

MikeNice said:
Jack, I know we have had this conversation before but...
Doesn't it raise the oil pressure waaaaaay up?:dontknow:
I have always stuck with 0W40 cause I'm skeered to change.:afraid:

It will have more oil pressure when using this oil, but the pressure is regulated within the pump assembly.

There are no worries of having too much oil pressure.

The lifters quiet way down and the idle is better.

The biggest thing is the bearings are getting the protection and cushion they need to last longer. The thinner oils are like water and I just do not feel that there is enough film and sheer strength to do the job on a hot rod that is driven like a hot rod. The manufacturers have set up the modern motors to use lighter weight oil for mileage and emission constraints.

If you drive like a little old lady I feel the factory recommended weight oil is fine.

I have run a little heavier oil for years and had very good luck with it.

I had a 98 Expedition with a Vortec blower and ran it on 15w40 Mobile One, I sold it at 112000 miles and it did not rattle or use oil, changed it every 3-4K. The man that bought it ran it to 180000K before selling it and it was still going strong. What happened after he sold it I do not know.

My experiance and most of the big time motor builders concur with my take on oil weight.

The advent of multi grade oils have given me the opportunity to run a heavier oil as the low end (lighter weight) allows the oil to start flowing sooner. Would I run a straight 50wt oil in a stock motor, no way. But 15-40 during the summer is what I use and have been using for years.

When I used to do a lot of sand buggying in the desert I would run straight 60wt racing oil but the motor had a lot of clearance and being air cooled the oil was run through a giant cooler. This was on a Corvair with Webbers and 15 to 1 compression. It was really a full race motor. I had no bearing problems, and could go 2 full seasons without freshing the motor. I changed the oil every 2 trips. I would twist the motor to 9K as it had a solid lifter cam that Crower made for me. When the motor was cold it would peg a 100lb oil pressure gauge, I had to warm it up before giving it many RPMs. This was back in the 70s and 80s and the synthetic multi vis oil that was available did not work well. We had a big synthetic oil mfgr give us a couple of cases of oil to try back then. It did not protect the bearings well enough and some of my buddies at the shop lost a motor or two. I did not use it as it looked like amber water to me. But today the synthetics are great for most applications. Today I would probably run 15w50 in it. And not have the high oil pressure when it was cold.

This discussion could go on for ever and you will get a lot of differing opinions. I am just stating what works for me.

FastSRT19 said:
Yep, its purple! Been using it in mine since first oil change...Looks like grape Kool-Aid :D

grape Kool-Aid gives me indigestion:toilet: :sheep: :egg: :cheers: :pepsi:

If you are really concerned that much about your oil. Do some research. You may find that Mobile one, and or Amsoil are better than Royal Purple.

FSTJACK said:
It will have more oil pressure when using this oil, but the pressure is regulated within the pump assembly.

There are no worries of having too much oil pressure.

The lifters quiet way down and the idle is better.

The biggest thing is the bearings are getting the protection and cushion they need to last longer. The thinner oils are like water and I just do not feel that there is enough film and sheer strength to do the job on a hot rod that is driven like a hot rod. The manufacturers have set up the modern motors to use lighter weight oil for mileage and emission constraints.

If you drive like a little old lady I feel the factory recommended weight oil is fine.

I have run a little heavier oil for years and had very good luck with it.

I had a 98 Expedition with a Vortec blower and ran it on 15w40 Mobile One, I sold it at 112000 miles and it did not rattle or use oil, changed it every 3-4K. The man that bought it ran it to 180000K before selling it and it was still going strong. What happened after he sold it I do not know.

My experiance and most of the big time motor builders concur with my take on oil weight.

The advent of multi grade oils have given me the opportunity to run a heavier oil as the low end (lighter weight) allows the oil to start flowing sooner. Would I run a straight 50wt oil in a stock motor, no way. But 15-40 during the summer is what I use and have been using for years.

When I used to do a lot of sand buggying in the desert I would run straight 60wt racing oil but the motor had a lot of clearance and being air cooled the oil was run through a giant cooler. This was on a Corvair with Webbers and 15 to 1 compression. It was really a full race motor. I had no bearing problems, and could go 2 full seasons without freshing the motor. I changed the oil every 2 trips. I would twist the motor to 9K as it had a solid lifter cam that Crower made for me. When the motor was cold it would peg a 100lb oil pressure gauge, I had to warm it up before giving it many RPMs. This was back in the 70s and 80s and the synthetic multi vis oil that was available did not work well. We had a big synthetic oil mfgr give us a couple of cases of oil to try back then. It did not protect the bearings well enough and some of my buddies at the shop lost a motor or two. I did not use it as it looked like amber water to me. But today the synthetics are great for most applications. Today I would probably run 15w50 in it. And not have the high oil pressure when it was cold.

This discussion could go on for ever and you will get a lot of differing opinions. I am just stating what works for me.

That answered my questions well enough. The only concern was the cold (Mid 20's) in the winter and oil pressure.
Thanks for the input.
Mike:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back