oil

SlvrSnake said:
blah blah blah

yeah sure...

anyway, i have had trucks over the years where you can hear the rockers and lifters for a few seconds after you start the engine. the thinner the oil the quicker it gets to the top. thats the point. and when its cold out, say 32F that 15w40 takes a loooong time to reach the moving parts. your right its not dry but there is no oil pressure either.
next time its 32 out, (it can be 32 in Florida) pour some 15w40 and then pour some 0w40 next to it.

and the reason i started this is because my truck says 10w30 and thats why i asked.

did they change anything between 04 and 05 in the oil pump or something?

Don't know what they changed from 04 to 05/06. I believe now the recommendation is 0-40w for all years. Even though 04 calls for 10w-30.

my company runs 20-50 in our airboats, 502 chevy engine , cruising at 4000 rpm and frequenty at 5000 rpms in tough terrain ... been running airboats for 16 yrs and never had a internal problems !!! wow... just recently switched to 15-40 and seems to be fine !!!! oh and by the way i use 0-40 in the 10 !!!!! :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

scoobert said:
your mistaken, starting is the most wear your engine see's. the time it takes your oil pump to lift the oil to the rockers and flow thru the engine is important. without the flow the parts are wearing. dont think so? put straight 60 in your truck, and see if you get 100,000 out of it.
I don't think it will matter for me or anyone else that lives south...I'm lucky to see 50F in winter.....meaning the oil doesn't ever really thicken up down here with the heat...

gunu said:
my company runs 20-50 in our airboats, 502 chevy engine , cruising at 4000 rpm and frequenty at 5000 rpms in tough terrain ... been running airboats for 16 yrs and never had a internal problems !!! wow... just recently switched to 15-40 and seems to be fine !!!! oh and by the way i use 0-40 in the 10 !!!!! :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

yes thats what i run in my bayliner20-50.
but toys dont get used on cold days, and boats run at high rpm's all the time.
race cars run sae50 or sae60.

and come on flordia, when i was there we had some 32F nights. it was frickn cold!

scoobert said:
yes thats what i run in my bayliner20-50.
but toys dont get used on cold days, and boats run at high rpm's all the time.
race cars run sae50 or sae60.

and come on flordia, when i was there we had some 32F nights. it was frickn cold!
Not where I am I think the coldest was in the high high 30's low 40's.......even when it gets that cold it only at night and maybe for a day or 2 not enough to affect oil viscosity as if it were weeks or months of cold

MYTRAM said:
What does it cost there? Cheapest I've ever found here is Fleet Farm ($6qt.), but havn't checked Costco or Sams Club in a couple years, just know they didn't have it 3 yrs. ago, but several auto stores didn't then either.

My wife bought a couple of cases for around $40 and change a peice:rock:

thewelshm

now im confused just got my 10 a little while ago and i contacted royal purple and they said 5w30 would be good but i guess i will do 0w40 next time:confused:

What about the BMW stuff they use in their M series? I believe it's 5w60 and goes for about 12000 miles in between intervals. Very expensive stuff.

scoobert said:
not sure why, but i used syn5w40 at the last oil change, its due, and i saw my oil cap, syn10w40....???
i am not sure where i heard 5w40 but i thought thats what we were suppose to use? was i wrong?

Don't feel bad,I asked the dealer I bought mine from about which oil he put in,his mechanic couldn't even read what was on the Oil cap !!!But no harm,I'm sitting at 80K miles and no problems from it !!!

6pakattack said:
Don't feel bad,I asked the dealer I bought mine from about which oil he put in,his mechanic couldn't even read what was on the Oil cap !!!But no harm,I'm sitting at 80K miles and no problems from it !!!

wow 80k. never thought this engine would last that long being all aluminum.

do we need to chage the oil every 3000 or can we go beyond that?

i run 5-30 mobile 1 extended performance in my honda, and don't change it but every 25,000 or so.
was under the impression the oil in the 10 needed to be changed every 3000???
is this a high wear/particulate engine?

how far can you take it without harm?

THEWELSHM said:
My wife bought a couple of cases for around $40 and change a peice:rock:

thewelshm
6 Qt. case I assume? That'd be cheaper than many conventionals if it's 12. I have only seen 6 er's around here or single qts. and maybe gallon jug, but sure on this particular oil. The 12 qt. case seems to be going away.

blackviper said:
What about the BMW stuff they use in their M series? I believe it's 5w60 and goes for about 12000 miles in between intervals. Very expensive stuff.

its castrol 10-60w and i run it in my truck. works great. been using it for a while now. oil pressure is constant 75 psi. upon startup oil psi builds up immeadiate

SlvrSnake said:
Scoobert

Straight 60 wt?? WTF!! Guys here are trying to help you out and all you come up with is retarded responses. Get rid of the 10 and go buy a beat up Bronco and go muddin with it. Otherwise, put 0-40w in it like the SRT engineers suggest and be done with it. After some of the posts I've seen I am shocked people actually try to help you. I know others feel the way I do but are keeping to them selves. Stop being a Jackass!!! It's annoying. Too many people on here know their shit and contribute greatly when someone needs help. You don't seem to get that. Instead you post endless non-sense. If you're not going to take advice then don't post.

You can tell me to go F off but I am sure many other people here agree with me completely. You are a tool!!!

HEY ! I have a Bronco !!! :( :dontknow: :( What is wrong with Broncos ? :dontknow: I don't do mud,just rocks :rock:

HOT RAM said:
HEY ! I have a Bronco !!! :( :dontknow: :( What is wrong with Broncos ? :dontknow: I don't do mud,just rocks :rock:

It was just the first thing that came to mind. The older full sized ones all rusted up and lifted was what I was picturing.:D

DevilDawg3097 said:
...ANd 2nd who said anything about 60 wt which there is no such thing for motor oil....

Valvoline makes straight 60 weight motor oil. It's for vehicles that run nitromethane and typically have no cooling system, i.e., top alcohol, top fuel, etc.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back