OK I give up, How do you bleed the clutch system?

SRT-IZ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawn, FatTony (Tony), and I replaced the clutch yesterday. WOW what a PITA!!!:mad: We finally changed the Slave and put the tranny back in. Now it is very dificult to put it in gear. The clutch goes all the way down to the floor and it doesnt feel right. Its very soft and we tried to bleed the system but i wanna make sure we were doing it right. Also Reverse will not go in unless the truck is turned off. Yes, the reverse selonoid is pluged in. Please Help!!!!!

SRT-IZ said:
Shawn, FatTony (Tony), and I replaced the clutch yesterday. WOW what a PITA!!!:mad: We finally changed the Slave and put the tranny back in. Now it is very dificult to put it in gear. The clutch goes all the way down to the floor and it doesnt feel right. Its very soft and we tried to bleed the system but i wanna make sure we were doing it right. Also Reverse will not go in unless the truck is turned off. Yes, the reverse selonoid is pluged in. Please Help!!!!!
did you upgrade the hydraulics or just put the viper slave in

sorry Iz, jsut got my phone charged up and got ya message but this will be jsut as well bo.

but fill the resevior up on top, remove the cap, and loosen the fitting at the tranny, put a pan below it and let it drip and run for a good 3-40 min, checking and keeping it full

next, tighten the bleeder , have someone inside depress the pedle "slowyly"

and i mean slowly, the fluid will cavitate if its done too quickly.

now when the pedal is on the floor, open the bleeder, and before the fluid finishes comming out, close the bleeder, then slowly release the pedal, and then depress the pedal about 3 times slowly, and hold, open bleeder, close.

after about 5-6 times like this you should start to feel a pedal bo, sounds like you got a ton of air in the system.

the first part where you just let it drain , should take alot of the air out

fill it with fluid.

then Real slowly pump the clutch to the floor and hold it there. Then on cue have a 2nd person open the bleeder screw for a second or two and then shut.

Repeat this like 10 times. Remember to push the clutch slowly.

Then you will feel like your building up a pedal, then you press the pedal slowly again right when it feels like its start to build some tension have 2nd person open the bleeder screw, as soon as you open the screw the pedal will drop fast, tell him to close the screw before the clutch pedal goes to the bottom. repeat like 7-10 times and you should be good

Stinker said:
sorry Iz, jsut got my phone charged up and got ya message but this will be jsut as well bo.

but fill the resevior up on top, remove the cap, and loosen the fitting at the tranny, put a pan below it and let it drip and run for a good 3-40 min, checking and keeping it full

next, tighten the bleeder , have someone inside depress the pedle "slowyly"

and i mean slowly, the fluid will cavitate if its done too quickly.

now when the pedal is on the floor, open the bleeder, and before the fluid finishes comming out, close the bleeder, then slowly release the pedal, and then depress the pedal about 3 times slowly, and hold, open bleeder, close.

after about 5-6 times like this you should start to feel a pedal bo, sounds like you got a ton of air in the system.

the first part where you just let it drain , should take alot of the air out
what about an rfi:dontknow: :dontknow:

Hydraulic upgrade? RFI? WTF???

Thanks guys! We were close. We did all of the steps right EXCEPT we did not do it slowly!

505'sFastestViper. said:
yes master cylinder upgrade......Reverse Fluid Injector
LOLOLOL...No!

I didnt know i had to.:eek: I can drive like this in the meantime right? (with stock master). I mean after i bleed the system of course.

Update: I changed out the transmission fluid with M1 ATF.
Its like night and day. It shifts through all gears now!:rock:
I still have to bleed it right though.

I told you we should have stopped drinkin half way through this install.:marchmellow:

SRT-IZ said:
Update: I changed out the transmission fluid with M1 ATF.
Its like night and day. It shifts through all gears now!:rock:
I still have to bleed it right though.
UPDATE::mad:

I tried to bleed the systen as per above instructions. The damn thing still will not go into Reverse when the truck is on and it is very hard to shift. The clutch still feels very soft. I dont know what to do anymore.

Here is a stupid question...Bleed the system with the truck off right?:eek:

(dont judge me):D

i would. that exhaust pipe might be a bit warm

ZCx said:
i would. that exhaust pipe might be a bit warm
Thats what i thought!:D Wierd thoughts come to mind when i run out of ideas.

lmao

yes they do:rock: :rock: :rock:

unless there is something to do with the mismatched master/slave combo

did ya say you have the viper slave cyl.?????

if so you got the shim behind it?????

Last edited:
ZCx said:
lmao

yes they do:rock: :rock: :rock:

unless there is something to do with the mismatched master/slave combo

did ya say you have the viper slave cyl.?????

if so you got the shim behind it?????
Yes i have the viper slave. I didnt know that i had to upgrade the master or shim it! WTF??:mad: i wish i would have known this before!

SRT-IZ said:
Yes i have the viper slave. I didnt know that i had to upgrade the master or shim it! WTF??:mad: i wish i would have known this before!
well you might as well put the old one back in if you blow it out, dont feel badd I did the same thing. If it is still good I will pm you;) no worries.:marchmellow:

Where can i get shims and this upgraded master (part #)? If i cant get them soon i will put my old slave back in untill i have all parts. I should be a pro at removing and isntalling the tranny by now!

SRT-IZ said:
Where can i get shims and this upgraded master (part #)? If i cant get them soon i will put my old slave back in untill i have all parts. I should be a pro at removing and isntalling the tranny by now!
I got this from Justin JMB

Attachments

• srt10clutchupgrade.jpg
    srt10clutchupgrade.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back