OK Turbo truck is here!!!

SERPENT said:
Congratulations. Sounds like you bought FREDV'S twin turbo. Did it ship from NJ? That is one mean truck. Iv'e driven it and can vouch for the power and the build is by Nick Mananeiro from Modern Performance. Huge oversize intercooler and forged lower end. Great build--congrats again. Have fun.

Yeah thats the one. I only bought it for the power train. His truck will be back stock inside 60 days. Mine will get the mill. Yea the work all looks on the top end of good. I would say fit & finish is a solid 8 on a scale from 1 to 10. Theres a few things I dont like. I wish the fueling was done purely with the ecm. It has a paxton style FMU that spikes fuel pressure with 4 extra injectors spitting fuel in front of the throttle body like a NOS wet kit. I mean it works and actually works well, I just dont prefer the super-high 80+ psi fuel pressure crap. Its too dangerous and cooks and engine quicker if there is a fuel pressure drop or problem. I would really like to just fuel it with a VEC3 and get rid of the stand alone fuel management. The is no air/fuel gauge which is crazy. The intake tubing leaving the turbos just goes straight ahead all the way under the front cross member then turns up. I would prefer it stay a bit higher. I was a bit concerned about the cheapish hose clamps, but it turns out all the intake hose connections are flanged so were not gonna be blowing off any hoses I promise you that. The fuel system is very loud, you can hear it over the radio, and sounds a bit inconsistant. I wish there was an oil pressure gauge on the pump that feeds oil to the turbos, because if that pump goes out there will be no way to tell and the turbos will burn up from oil starvation. I was hoping from a super-choppy idle, but its pretty tame just a little rougher than stock. The thing pop-backfires a lot under decelereration which get s bit annoying. The roller rockers are more noisy than stock. BTW anyone know if this is normal, or is it possible they need to be adjusted? The setup has 2300 miles on it and its never had any further maintenance other than being taken in for a few check-ups at MPI. But other than all that gripping I am definately pleased. The thing has plenty of power, sounds real good, and has a very quality appearance to it. I'm happy with it.

get used to the valve train.... mine makes me think my engine is making funny noises..... the valve train on our motors are loud stock on a built on they are even worse!

Tooloe said:
get used to the valve train.... mine makes me think my engine is making funny noises..... the valve train on our motors are loud stock on a built on they are even worse!

Thats what im wondering. wade do you have stock rockers?

robwclark said:
Thats what im wondering. wade do you have stock rockers?
yes i sure do.... but the springs for the cam and valves are diffrent.. but it's still noisy as hell alot worse than it was stock i can promise you that

To run roller rockers you have to either have spacers under the valve covers or (gasp) valve covers from x-metal. They are taller than the stockers and there's no way to mill enough out of the valve covers to make them clear. Basically its possible they are hitting the valve covers. My roller rockers are quieter than stock.

Try to figure out the cam specs. Most turbo cars I've heard don't have nasty sounding cams unless they are full on race cars.

Man I can't wait to get my truck back and have this problem!!

Last edited:
Scrambler1 said:
To run roller rockers you have to either have spacers under the valve covers or (gasp) valve covers from x-metal. They are taller than the stockers and there's no way to mill enough out of the valve covers to make them clear. Basically its possible they are hitting the valve covers. My roller rockers are quieter than stock.

Try to figure out the cam specs. Most turbo cars I've heard don't have nasty sounding cams unless they are full on race cars.

mine is very quiet also!!!

Scrambler1 said:

OK well I think its time for a rocker adjustment because they are much noisier than stock. It has the X-Metal valve covers. Anyone care to remind me how to adjust thm. Its been years since I've done this. I hope they quieten up some. they are hitting the valve covers as this sound isnt a bang or knock, its just noisy valve train. The fuel pumps are super freakin loud. I wish there was a way to make them quiet as stock but that aint happnin.

Whats going on with your build scrambler?

robwclark said:
OK well I think its time for a rocker adjustment because they are much noisier than stock. It has the X-Metal valve covers. Anyone care to remind me how to adjust thm. Its been years since I've done this. I hope they quieten up some. they are hitting the valve covers as this sound isnt a bang or knock, its just noisy valve train. The fuel pumps are super freakin loud. I wish there was a way to make them quiet as stock but that aint happnin.

Whats going on with your build scrambler?

Guy that built the converter didn't take the adapter into account so there was about a 1" gap to the flexplate. He's taking care of it but had to ship it back, him rework it, and ship back to the shop. Otherwise it's ready to be started and start tuning.

What kind of fuel pumps and how are they mounted?

Scrambler1 said:
Guy that built the converter didn't take the adapter into account so there was about a 1" gap to the flexplate. He's taking care of it but had to ship it back, him rework it, and ship back to the shop. Otherwise it's ready to be started and start tuning.

What kind of fuel pumps and how are they mounted?

Sounds like a similar issue to Carl's.

Mine is quiet too....Since it don't run and I don't have any money to finish it.......was off for 2 weeks at christmas with No Pay.......

Anyways...is there a reason that no pictures of this truck have been posted?

Just curious!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back