One Less 10

I agree with Joe, charge him with theft.

I am curious as to why the dealership lets them do work on the side. If we find our guys doing that they would get the boot.

There was a somewhat similar story of a dealership that let the employees work in the shop after hours. Someone was working on a snowmobile and it started on fire and burnt the place to the ground. Apparently insurance was denied.

That is crazy! this accident was caused by their employee, while he was on the clock, your tuck was in their shop! On their lift, regardless of the deal you worked out with a mechanic! He was using their shop, their tools, their lift, their employee's, their property, not to mention their employee who stole your truck to go get lunch! He went on a joy ride in your hot rod pick up, was jack assing around and totaled it!!!! who gave him the keys? who gave him permission to drive it? I didnt think that a respected dealership would let a employee use their shop after hours, when their not making any money off of it! It should be their company policy that no employee shall use the dealership's shop, and resources after hours to work on personal vehicles, or friends! You are not at fault here! The dealership is!! Do they not have a company vehicle to run errands with? Why did the shop manager let the truck out the the garage without the owners permission? Dont the dealership on insurance on their employees who drive dealership vehicles or test drive customers vehicles, or do such things like picking up parts, getting lunch ect....? I think their just trying to cover their butts! regardless of what happened or what the "deals" were. A company employee stole your tuck while on the clock to run company errands "getting lunch for the employees". With that in mind, wouldnt they be responsible?? I personally think you need to hire a good lawyer and sue thier ass!! And say well ass hole I tried to be civil about the thing, but your treating me like $hit, and giving me the run around, we'll settle this in court!!

work on the side, or not...

employee took your truck while on the clock...

if he was truly doing work "on the side" he shouldn't have used your truck to get lunch... he should have been working on it before, or after regular work hours...

the question is why was he in it "on hours" when it was supposed to be "off hours"...

did he call you and ask to drive it?

secondly... is your insurance trying to deny the claim? it doesn't matter who's in my truck... if it gets wrecked, i get paid...

Really sorry to hear about your truck. That's a shame that someone else wrecked out your truck.

The dealership is not at fault. Period. This is between you and the guy you paid to work on your truck. If you wanted the dealerships backing on their mechanics behavior you should have paid the dealership for the work you were having done. I'm sorry about your truck, bro. I really am. And if I was you, I would be pissed too. But be pissed at the guy who you paid to do repairs that wrecked your truck. Not a dealership that had nothing to do with the transaction. Think of it this way: If I had a hoist and a fully equipped shop, the guy was working on your truck at my house, then took me to get lunch in the truck and wrecked it, would you sue me? Of course not. I just happened to have a facility the guy you hired was using. In this case, the dealership is equally not at fault. The guy you hired just happened to be using their facility.

Also, thank you for your service.

I feel sorry for your loss!!! I couldn't start to imagine the amount of RAGE i would be feeling !!! These trucks with alot of power ,in the hands of a novice, is a disaster in the making!! If you have an SCT you really have to use the VALET tune whenever you take it for service or when a novice may have to drive it!!!

Sorry for your loss. Hope you get everything covered. If you get it back and want to sale the headers and venom hood let me know

The dealership is not at fault. Period. This is between you and the guy you paid to work on your truck. If you wanted the dealerships backing on their mechanics behavior you should have paid the dealership for the work you were having done. I'm sorry about your truck, bro. I really am. And if I was you, I would be pissed too. But be pissed at the guy who you paid to do repairs that wrecked your truck. Not a dealership that had nothing to do with the transaction. Think of it this way: If I had a hoist and a fully equipped shop, the guy was working on your truck at my house, then took me to get lunch in the truck and wrecked it, would you sue me? Of course not. I just happened to have a facility the guy you hired was using. In this case, the dealership is equally not at fault. The guy you hired just happened to be using their facility.

Also, thank you for your service.

I feel that the dealer was using his truck "without the owners permission" to run dealer/company errands "getting lunch for the staff", they weren't test driving it after a tune up. The employe never should been driving his truck during normal business hours, "only for the purpose to move it out of the way" since the deal was to work on his truck after hours. The dealer has company cars with insurance for these purposes of getting parts, lunch, running errands, ect... Whenever the employe is on the clock at work, he is representing the dealership, that's why a dealer has insurance on its employes, who drive vehicles, rather its a dealer car, or a test drive. Even though the vehicle wasn't on the company books, or paperwork, the accident happened with a employe driving it during normal business hours, while running company errands,not to mention that the truck was in their garage and on their property. What if their was a fire caused by their electrical wiring, and lack of keeping their garage clean, while his truck was in their shop and it was burnt to a crisp, would the owner be responsible just because it wasn't on "their books"? So lets say that you went to a dealership to visit a friend who works their, you park your truck and go visit, you leave your keys in it, and a salesmen or a mechanic gets in it for a joy ride and rolls it, are you responsible for the damages?? This kind of situation is why dealerships have company policy's "rules", so these situations wont, and don't happen, why?? because the dealer would be held responsible for the accident. So your saying that the dealer is not responsible, if the driver and passenger were injured would the owner, and the owners insurance policy be held responsible for the injuries, hospital bills, pain and suffering, loss of work/wages that the occupants obtained? If that's the case, the owner would be sued, because he would be liable.

The dealer has company cars with insurance for these purposes of getting parts, lunch, running errands, ect... Whenever the employe is on the clock at work, he is representing the dealership, that's why a dealer has insurance on its employes, who drive vehicles, rather its a dealer car, or a test drive. Even though the vehicle wasn't on the company books, or paperwork, the accident happened with a employe driving it during normal business hours, while running company errands,not to mention that the truck was in their garage and on their property.

^^^^^^^ this!

What if their was a fire caused by their electrical wiring, and lack of keeping their garage clean, while his truck was in their shop and it was burnt to a crisp, would the owner be responsible just because it wasn't on "their books"?

In this situation the dealership is still not responsible. Rather than ruining the OP's thread, I think we shall have to agree to disagree. :)

^^^^^^^ this!

You are the alpha super moderator, but you are still wrong. The guy who was paid to do the work drove the truck and crashed it. He is liable. If he worked at McDonalds and crashed it in a bank run, would McDonalds be liable? Of course not.

In this situation the dealership is still not responsible. Rather than ruining the OP's thread, I think we shall have to agree to disagree. :)

You are the alpha super moderator, but you are still wrong. The guy who was paid to do the work drove the truck and crashed it. He is liable. If he worked at McDonalds and crashed it in a bank run, would McDonalds be liable? Of course not.

I see your point, but McDonald's is not in the business of selling, and working on cars, or driving cars. If McDonald's had a company vehicle for doing its errands and it was involved in an accident mcdonalds would be liable. What I'm saying is the guy took his car without permission to run company related errands. the mechanic was on the clock. He should not have used the srt 10 to do such errands for the dealership, he should have used a company car. which is insured by the dealer, just in case of an accident. When I'm on the clock at work I represent the company I work for. I'm a radiographic engineer, I transport radioactive materials and various equipment, sometimes I use my personal truck to transport such equipment and materials for the company, when I'm using my personal vehicle, me and my truck are on the company's insurance policy. So if I was in a accident the company I work for would be held partly responsible "depending on the who's fault the accident was", just because of the fact that I was on the clock, and I was running errands for my company. And another thing if im out in the feild on a project and I'm hot rodding, acting stupid, mud bogging, or if i wreck a company vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I have to pay for it my self! Thats company policy!!!

I would, and this is being easy on them, make them give you the SRT8 jeep for free and call it even stevens.

sorry but the dealership is not responsible. unless you have a written repair order on your truck to have work completed by them, you're gonna be S.O.L.! I would just contact your insurance company and let them work out the legalities.

sorry but the dealership is not responsible. unless you have a written repair order on your truck to have work completed by them, you're gonna be S.O.L.! I would just contact your insurance company and let them work out the legalities.

For some reason people can't seem to understand that:dontknow: I'm sure the dealership owner talked to his lawyer to make sure he wasnt liable before they told him the weren't

The truck was on their lot being worked on by their employee driven on the clock by their employee. If it wasn't their fault why would they be apologizing and offering him a good deal on a replacement vehicle. Maybe I don't have all the facts here... hmmm

Would you say the driver who wrecked it is responsible? All im saying is that the owner should be held responsible for this accident, and he or his insurance should not have to pay for it! But that is why we have insurance on vehicles!

The truck was on their lot being worked on by their employee driven on the clock by their employee. If it wasn't their fault why would they be apologizing and offering him a good deal on a replacement vehicle. Maybe I don't have all the facts here... hmmm

Opportunity to sell a new car! Doesnt matter if it was their employee on the clock or not, truck was not authorized to be there. Its like an employee driving a friends vehicle in and having a wreck in it. I'm just letting you know how it works as I've been down this road being a service manager at a dealer.

Would you say the driver who wrecked it is responsible? All im saying is that the owner should be held responsible for this accident, and he or his insurance should not have to pay for it! But that is why we have insurance on vehicles!

Yes the guy who wrecked it is! Thats why we have insurance. Insurance protects us from these situations!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back