Our Boat has Gone Under

pirateman said:
99% of the time a mercruiser sinks its because of the bellows. We probally repair 25 to 30 a year for the same thing. If you need anything give me a call

Heard from the marina this evening and i guess something with the air conditioning unit failed and caused the problem:dontknow:

IH8CHVYS said:
Heard from the marina this evening and i guess something with the air conditioning unit failed and caused the problem:dontknow:
See thru hull fittings.:(

Hearing that your boat was under water must have given you a sinking feeling. :p Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully it will be brought back to better than new.

Sorry to hear that Ernie. If you lost a hose between the A/C unit and where the water exits the hull the unit will continue to pump water into the boat until it sinks.

Another note on the bellows, even if this isn't what sunk your boat... ALWAYS leave the outdrive trimmed all the way down. Lanier has lots of beavers etc that love to chew on the bellows. Having the drive trimmed up exposes the bellows to teeth.

Good luck with getting it totaled. Even though it's fresh water the smell is hard to get rid of.

:dito: :dito: :dito:
GA Venom said:
Any update?
:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:

sorry about your boat.

i had years ago the same boat , Sea Ray 26 cabin cruiser... with a OMC V8... engine and drive were tilting together by a electric motor inside, going thru the hull with one big rubber bellow... didn't mention it when we bought the boat, but once i had seen it , replaced it with a new bellow and never had confidence in that setup.... had the feeling that having a strong hull, the boat was floating on a rubber membrame with a "basic" narrow clamp....:(

belgiumbarry said:
sorry about your boat.

i had years ago the same boat , Sea Ray 26 cabin cruiser... with a OMC V8... engine and drive were tilting together by a electric motor inside, going thru the hull with one big rubber bellow... didn't mention it when we bought the boat, but once i had seen it , replaced it with a new bellow and never had confidence in that setup.... had the feeling that having a strong hull, the boat was floating on a rubber membrame with a "basic" narrow clamp....:(

Yeah... sounds like a real design flaw to me... :( :eek: :dontknow: I've always appreciated the craftsmanship of a Sea Ray too. :confused: :(

Django said:
Hope you are treated right by your insurance co..

Condolences for your loss......... It's (luckily) only property.

Glad no one was aboard....

D

You putz!

If someone had been on board, it could have been prevented!

Duh!:D

sorry to hear about your boat Ernie. A good restoration company can make it as good as or better than new. I have some experience with water damage restoration, feel free to ask any questions.

belgiumbarry said:
sorry about your boat.

Damn engineers.:eek:

GA Venom said:
Any update?

Finally i was called this afternoon and i meet the adjuster at 9 am tommorrow. It has been a PITA dealing with these people. Really frustrated right now and if the adjuster doesn't wanna work with me in the morning i may need some bail money:D

I worked for the largest SR dealer for about 4 years - Did you have an extended warranty? Also I would call Brunswick and let them know what happened and I would press them to kick in some money instead of all your insurance. These boats are very well engineered, I have seen their facilities and they are amazing. With the satisfaction they are after I would talk to them and they most likely will help out.
They are huge on customer service. I would also look to your servicing dealer to see if they may have missed that in a periodic check.
Thats such a beautiful boat too

shade said:
I worked for the largest SR dealer for about 4 years - Did you have an extended warranty? Also I would call Brunswick and let them know what happened and I would press them to kick in some money instead of all your insurance. These boats are very well engineered, I have seen their facilities and they are amazing. With the satisfaction they are after I would talk to them and they most likely will help out.
They are huge on customer service. I would also look to your servicing dealer to see if they may have missed that in a periodic check.
Thats such a beautiful boat too

Brian ("Sprayedbusa" on here) was a Gelcoater in the Yachts Division for Sea Ray. It is quite a process.... But, Brunswick is hurting BAD right now. I know they have closed a few plants and laid off a bunch of people. Getting money out of them is going to be difficult, but worth a try. :dontknow:

Last edited:
IH8CHVYS said:
Wow what a call to get Monday Morning, Our Marina calls and says our boat sank this weekend.
2005 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer

Well my wife and i went over and checked it out and what a mess, from what i understand 90% of the boat was under water. The entire engine compartment and 90% of the cabin was filled. As of now they are doing a pickling process to possibly determine how it sunk, we have called our insurance company and i guess they are sending an adjuster out.
The reason i am posting this is i am nervous as hell that they won't total the boat! I can only imagine what the water damage has done to the engine,all electrical components, obviously the carpets , beds etc. I hate to end up with an $70,000 lemon:confused:

I'll try and get some pics up after a bit but if anyone has some input i will surely listen. Thanks

I had a buddy this happened to, It turned out the Marina hadnt paid the utilities, the battery wnt flat and the auto bilge didnt kick it when it rained! He got paid out thenHe bought the boat backfor next to nothing because of potential mold issues. Insist on all new interior, and the motors are never the same:)

thewelshm

hope all go's well for you.... i have seen years ago the same thing in our marina ( Blankenberge) . A brand new, tought a Fairlane 35 , was put in the water a evening to found him submursed in the morning ... was a scary view, only antenna still above and some silhouet in the water...:(
I believe it was a hose going trough the transom ( exhaust :dontknow: ) that was not clamped... :eek:

Ourself with the Sea Ray ,OMC and the big rubber transom bellow had a accident in the south of France.... My son was steering the boat at full speed near a cape with a lighttower... we didn't look at the map :eek: .... when we hit a rock under water with the drive really hard... ( map was showing those babys on that spot ...) i went looking immediatly to see we had trashed the fin below the propellor on the drive... That made me thinking if such a impact would dislocate the engine ( in the end only 4 mounts in wood reinforced fiberglass) , the rubber bellow would have been torn or at least loose from its small clamp... that would have sunken the boat within a min....

From those experiences i desinged my sailboat with the idea that such a heavy big boat was not gonna float on any rubber hose ! Also the portholes should be in the superstructure , not in the hull... sailing on a side can get those hull windows at sea level and be punctured by anything floating there... More worse, last year a 50 feet motorboat sunk here in "heavy" sea because such a hull window wasn't closed ...:confused: :mad:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back