Paint cracking on factory painted rims

jbilledeaux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you had problems with the silver paint cracking on the factory rims? I've looked for TSB'S on DC, I know I havent curb checked or anything like that. On my driver rear rim the paint has acutually started peeling:mad: I guess that $0 ded on my insurance will come in handy now:rock:

Last edited:
I didn't know they came painted? Mine have the chrome finish option. Is this what is peeling. e.g the plating?

Factory rims are powdercoated clear. All it takes is one small pin hole and get some moisture under it and it will begin to look like crap. Kind of like rust...it begins to creep everywhere from first contact. Not much you can really do at this point but have the rim repaired. The clear coat can be removed chemically or bead blasted. You'll want to have it repowdercoated so you are not spending every weekend polishing oxidized aluminum.

i'v got a bad ass painter down here if you want to have them painted or the clear reone

Tooloe said:
i'v got a bad ass painter down here if you want to have them painted or the clear reone
Man, give me a call at work, 817-696-4362, I just got back online, and that sounds like a good idea.
It must be the clear though, and yes it looks like crap:mad:

It must be the plating, b/c where its peeling it look rough, all I know is it just sucks and it should be doin that wit 12,000k on it:mad:
But, thats why we get insurance:D

jbilledeaux said:
Man, give me a call at work, 817-696-4362, I just got back online, and that sounds like a good idea.
It must be the clear though, and yes it looks like crap:mad:

alright man might be later this afternoon i'v got to go to a funeral and then head to austin but i'll get in touch with you asap:rock:

Tooloe said:
alright man might be later this afternoon i'v got to go to a funeral and then head to austin but i'll get in touch with you asap:rock:
Kool bro, just holla:rock:

jbilledeaux said:
Have any of you had problems with the silver paint cracking on the factory rims? I've looked for TSB'S on DC, I know I havent curb checked or anything like that. On my driver rear rim the paint has acutually started peeling:mad: I guess that $0 ded on my insurance will come in handy now:rock:
:needpics:
Please take a photo for us!

Thanks

take a pic so we can see. I've painted wheels at work but they are a pain in the ass to mess with.

jbilledeaux said:

DUDE, i had the same problem, hairline cracks on the inside of each spoke, only had 10k on the truck. took it to dodge, they replaced all four of my rims under warranty. are you still under warranty? if not i would make a stink:D

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
Some of the rims came with a silver paint.. and some with a clear coat

Yup, you're right. I've got a brand new set of (4) PAINTED silver wheels in boxes from Dodge.

tone said:
DUDE, i had the same problem, hairline cracks on the inside of each spoke, only had 10k on the truck. took it to dodge, they replaced all four of my rims under warranty. are you still under warranty? if not i would make a stink:D
Yea, Im still under warrenty, but the problem is I work here at the service department, and my District rep is an a$$, and doesn't like "refurbishin employee's vehicles." So I guess I'm gonna call my insurance and file it against comp, thank god i elected that $0.00 ded 2 months ago!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back