Paint Issue

Bobby S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had paint issue on their 05's. I have all kinds of fine scratches and swirl marks. Not sure if clear coat is worn or what! Made mistake over winter of brushing off snow and may have damaged.

fine scratches and swirl marks can mostly be removed with a really good waxing..i recommend you spend a weekend in the garage with your baby and do a full detailing.. as far as compounds I prefer using the Meguirres Mirror Glaze product line.. its 3 steps step 1) swirl remover step 2) show car glaze, and step 3) hi-tech yellow.. each step should be applied and removed before applying the next step...do it in small sections because it is going to wear you out!!!! when you are done the finish is going to look the best it can possibly look for the condition it is in.
I used to have a mobile detailing operation with 1 other person it would take us about 8-10 hours to do a car from start to finish..but trust me it was worth it every time!!

Has anyone had paint issue on their 05's. I have all kinds of fine scratches and swirl marks. Not sure if clear coat is worn or what! Made mistake over winter of brushing off snow and may have damaged.

Pictures please, lets see how bad yours is..
If its as bad as mine (I used mine last winter) then do a cut and buff. This is my first time doing it saving me over $300! I didnt want to go to hardcore on the cut so i started with a light cut with McGuire's Swirl Remover 2.0 (#3 Cut) and a Yellow foam pad. Then followed with McGuire Polish and a Blue foam...and for the final stage i used Liquid wax with wool disk. It removed 95% of the swirl marks but didnt do much for the deeper scratches. I might step up with a more aggressive cut (#6) to get those scratches out.
Its A LOT of work especially on black but the results makes it worth it

BFORE

AFTER

fine scratches and swirl marks can mostly be removed with a really good waxing..i recommend you spend a weekend in the garage with your baby and do a full detailing.. as far as compounds I prefer using the Meguirres Mirror Glaze product line.. its 3 steps step 1) swirl remover step 2) show car glaze, and step 3) hi-tech yellow.. each step should be applied and removed before applying the next step...do it in small sections because it is going to wear you out!!!! when you are done the finish is going to look the best it can possibly look for the condition it is in.
I used to have a mobile detailing operation with 1 other person it would take us about 8-10 hours to do a car from start to finish..but trust me it was worth it every time!!

Totally agree :rock:.. looks like you beet me to the punch ha. Took me a whole weekend to do mine, but someone look at that shine! lol

Last edited:
wait till Andy posts up the pics of my dad's truck...you will never know it's an 06 from looking at the finish.....as far as the aggressiveness of the compound goes I have a bottle of fine cut but never used it...i'm gonna see if I can still access my photo bucket account and post some pics up lol...it's been along time since I was on a forum that actually made me want to post pics lol

now just to show that not all locations show the same...I live in the desert and in a desert place where nothing is around to really show the reflection of the finish only hot bad azz this truck looks....

I think the paint (at least flame red) was put on light. I have swirls and stuff all over the truck. I can tell whoever had this truck it was an outside truck. The clear is starting bubble on the roof and rail of the bed, the wing eh its a mess. I'll have to have the whole thing repainted, but I was thinking of doing a wrap sometime in the future.

Was thinking about a plum crazy purple wrap. Im not a fan of the paint jobs, im sure the guys who are able to keep there trucks in garages likely have better paint.

I think the paint (at least flame red) was put on light. I have swirls and stuff all over the truck. I can tell whoever had this truck it was an outside truck. The clear is starting bubble on the roof and rail of the bed, the wing eh its a mess. I'll have to have the whole thing repainted, but I was thinking of doing a wrap sometime in the future.

Was thinking about a plum crazy purple wrap. Im not a fan of the paint jobs, im sure the guys who are able to keep there trucks in garages likely have better paint.

mine survived 2 winters outside as a daily. I hated it! it has its little rock chips here and there but overall i managed to save the paint especially now that i have a garage and will be buying a beater for my daily commute to work here soon.

Not really scratches for me just the clear has started peeling since I've been in Canada. I didn't have any issues in North Carolina but after our first winter in Canada and the truck being half way out of the storage garage for the first few months the clear has started coming off on the spoiler and pitting really bad on the tonneau cover.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

my ram sits outside..i live in the desert of so cal and it hits the 90s and up regularly..my cover is pealing pretty bad..but its the clear coat that is suffering.. fortunately the truck body is doing very well so far.. i also had this issue with a car I had a carbon fiber hood on.. as long as I was able to keep it inside out of the direct sun and heat it was fine..but once I had to keep it outside it just progressively got worse.. it sucks balls when the clear starts to go to pot :( ...but on a good note the black RC is kept inside so its all good :)

I'll post some pics of mine. The paint is terrible. The scratches are under the cleacoat. I mean there is no other way to describe it really.

under the clear?!?!?!? that sucks.. if it's the factory paint someone screwed up during manufactureing. what car is it (I see you have quite the list going)?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back