Paint question?

Privatetoe82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be changing out my plugs and wires soon, so i am going to have to take off my intake manifold. I have been thinking about doing something with it. At first i was thinking about getting it polished, but that would mean i would be without it for about a week. I dont want that. Then i was thinking about getting it powdercoated. But ill still be a few day with that, plus im cheep, or my wife just doesnt want me spending any more money right now..... So, my question, would i need to use a high temp paint if i wanted to just paint it myself, or would a standard decent spray paint be fine, with a good prep and primer?

Polish it yourself.....if you decide to paint I'd go with the high temp, isn't that much more and its better paint all around!!...

Last edited:
I work at a body shop and i have never seen just regular paint or high temp paint stick good to hot engine parts but i cld be wrong im just saying. You need a high temp powdercoat.

I have a couple spare intakes - if you go through Justin at JMB I can send him one of mine and he can powdercoat it. Once it is ready you can send in yours and he can mail you the painted one. Most you will be without is 3-4 days of delivery time.

I think Justin (and some of the other vendors) has cores on the shelf. So he should be able to do one and send it to you while yours is still on the truck. You leave him the core charge ($500 + $120) and the powdercoat charge. Then after you change them you send yours back and he refunds the core charge. The best thing to do is contact the Justin directly (or any of the vendors who do what you would like to have done) and discuss it with them.

The core charges are that much? I remember seeing a few sell for half that.

How much would you want for one of your spare ones?

I was thinking more of an exchange than a sale. I send Justin my spare, he paints it and has it ready to ship, you send me your intake and as soon as I get it Justin sends yours. Would ad a few days of downtime but you wouldn't have to worry about deposit. I don't know if it would be beneficial or not - Justin has a very quick turn around on powder coating - just thought that I would offer if it helps someone out.

If I could go more than 2 days without mine I would do it in a hear beat but alas, it's my DD and I need it

I painted mine a few months back and it still looks the same as when I finished it, and Ive defiantly been driving the crap out of it since then.. seems to be holding up just fine:

Where did you get that little sneaky pete emblem on the top front of the intake?? Thats a nice touch.

I painted mine a few months back and it still looks the same as when I finished it, and Ive defiantly been driving the crap out of it since then.. seems to be holding up just fine:

What kind of paint did you use? High temp? And what kind of primer?

I picked up the lil sneaky pete badge from ebay. Its a hat or lapel pin, just grabbed onto the pin part and yanked it off and JB Welded it onto the manifold.
Paint was high temp engine paint for the black, the silver was regular old spray paint from walmart and then a coupe coats of high temp clear over top. The only prep work I did was washed it off with simple green and then had a beer lol

Mask, sandblast, zinc chromate and engine paint. Same process used to paint aircraft.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back