Paint your Brake Calipers/Rotors

Texas Yellow Fever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you guys change to low dust brake pads, don't forget to rub a little paint on the rotors and those faded calipers. These pictures don't do it justice, but believe me, it made an amazing amount of difference.

Last edited:
What kind of paint is it? Also did you apply a clear coat? I am thinking of removing the calipers, grinding them smooth, then paint them Candy Apple Red, but I need info on the appropriate paint to use. I have seen caliper paint kits, but they don't seem to have the color I want.

Looks good. U should have done them in yellow, thay would have really set them off. thanks for the tip, i am changing my pads this weekend and touch them up!

RedRamRules said:
What kind of paint is it? Also did you apply a clear coat? I am thinking of removing the calipers, grinding them smooth, then paint them Candy Apple Red, but I need info on the appropriate paint to use. I have seen caliper paint kits, but they don't seem to have the color I want.

That was my trouble too, finding the right color. I wanted to go Yellow like Second Chance said, but I couldn't find yellow I was happy with so I went with red. The paint came from Eastwood (www.eastwood.com). It's a two part paint that you have to mix together. Once you mix it, it sets up in a couple of hours whether you use it or not. So you either have to have all of them ready to go at once, whihc is what I did (4 jack stands) or have more than one kit. The paint is self leveling, and high gloss. You apply it with a brush and the brush strokes disappear (for the most part) and are not visible at all once the wheel is back on. Overall, I've very pleased with the outcome.

Any chance you can apply that stuff with a airbrush? For anyone who has worked with an airbrush input is appreciated.

RedRamRules said:
Any chance you can apply that stuff with a airbrush? For anyone who has worked with an airbrush input is appreciated.

I do not know.

Edit: I found one of the instruction sheets and it makes no mention one way or the other. I know nothing about painting with a sprayer of any kind, so I can't answer the question one way or the other.

Last edited:
I used body paint when I did the ones on the SS.It held up better than the high temp kit we used before.

On the truck when I put the Viper decals on I clear coated over them The clear coat really makes the color pop as well as protects the paint.

The calipers look good Steve. I have been looking at those Eastwood kits for a while now. It's good to see how they actually turn out. I will probably give that a try soon.

Thanks. :rock:

BigDodgeInAlaska said:
They look great!! Now you just need a set of these!! ;) :D

BDIA

I agree with you Kevin, send me two of them, I don't think they'll fit on the back calipers. If they will send me four of them. You should have my stuff, if not send me a PM. I think black don't you?

I have painted calipers in the past and used Eastwoods caliper paint system. It is brush on and a self leveling paint. It is a very nice product.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
I agree with you Kevin, send me two of them, I don't think they'll fit on the back calipers. If they will send me four of them. You should have my stuff, if not send me a PM. I think black don't you?

Black will be harder to see... It's your choice.. I can make them in any color... I have White, Silver, and Chrome ready to roll... But it only takes a few minutes to cut any other color!

So with the Paint system, how much prep is need to the calipers? I have a car that I want to work on this summer, and painting the calipers was on of the items.. It was either paint, or powder coat.. I am powder coating a lot of the metal in the engine compartment already... so....

BDIA

What's your suggestion on color? I'm open for input...

All I did for prep was use a soft brush with water and Dawn, then use rags, tooth bruch etc to get the small areas. The kit comes with brake cleaner, which I used a little of, but the soapy water actually seemed to work best. I let it all dry and painted away, nothing to it other than a little time and a case (or two I lost count) of beer.

i used a can of krylon clearcoat on mine after i put the decals on there, its been fine so far.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back