Painted grill? Rehash of a post about 1 month ago

2005ViperRam

Reaction score
About a month ago I posted about what color the grill should be in a 2005 Ram SRT-10. Mine looks painted black, with chrome showing thru. It seemed like everyone was saying it should be chrome. So instead of working on the grill, I decided to look at other different faults with the truck and fix those instead.

I finally found a video from a Ram SRT-10 that shows a close up of the black grill. So now I have second doubts that mine is just a one-off
since the one in the video has the same black grill. So here is the YouTube video. Look at 14:40 which shows a close up of the black grill. So do certain color trucks get a black grill, and others get chrome grill? Just trying to understand what is really correct. Thanks…

Last edited:
That obviously appears to be a factory grill that has been painted .. IMG_0542.jpeg

Thanks again Wifey…
After last month discussion I wanted to chip off the paint but got side tracked on restoring the lowering back to factory original.
I’ve been watching so many videos just to learn the truck and happened to come across that video. Imagine my surprise seeing it in black (his is showing the chrome coming thru the chipped black paint, but not as bad as mine).
I will take & post pictures tomorrow to show how bad it looks…

@2005ViperRam I'm 99 sure they all came with chrome
but I think the nightrunner edition had black grille inserts!
I got curious and yes Nightrunner had blacked out grill
On an 05 it Just looks unnatural to me lol0E6A472E-7609-4FF0-A491-F19151EFB8CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Also take a gander through the truck listings on classic.com - you can change Year to an 05 or 06

Most are listed as highly original/original and most have good pics of all views of the trucks. They may give you good visual info if you're looking for stock

On an 05 it Just looks unnatural to me lolView attachment 66050
Interesting , will have to see if any of those were actually produced and if available. Beimg as my truck is the fastest color ,BLACK , I could probably put on the night runner grill and add at least another 10 to 20 HP and improved the aerodynamics for added top end speed :D

Thanks again Wifey…
After last month discussion I wanted to chip off the paint but got side tracked on restoring the lowering back to factory original.
I’ve been watching so many videos just to learn the truck and happened to come across that video. Imagine my surprise seeing it in black (his is showing the chrome coming thru the chipped black paint, but not as bad as mine).
I will take & post pictures tomorrow to show how bad it looks…
Something to be aware of on a painted chrome grill . The surface of the chrome in order to do it correctly would have to be Ruffed up up for proper paint adhesion.. meaning that the chrome is probably screwed up !

On an 05 it Just looks unnatural to me lolView attachment 66050
Wifey ,That’s a good find on the night runners . I had no idea on the grills . Wondering if they are interchangeable with the 05 grills ?

Interesting , will have to see if any of those were actually produced and if available. Beimg as my truck is the fastest color ,BLACK , I could probably put on the night runner grill and add at least another 10 to 20 HP and improved the aerodynamics for added top end speed :D
Would look good on black :cool:

Wifey ,That’s a good find on the night runners . I had no idea on the grills . Wondering if they are interchangeable with the 05 grills ?
Oh thank you! :)

If the shapes (main grill) are the same they probably would interchange look at the bottom grill (very lowest set) on an 06 - it "frowns" and the 04-05s "smile" - Ronnie shared that tidbit not long ago - I'll look for a pic

Here's the 06 and an 05 - check out the lowest grill (out whatever you call it) shape ....

Also I think the grilles up top are shaped different too - more angled on the 06

06 has different headlight shape and an extra orange reflector

8EEBBA40-E93E-4193-B125-21451CBF02BE.jpegD903AE72-EE87-43A2-89D4-863D9DEC4102.jpeg

Here's the 06 and an 05 - check out the lowest grill (out whatever you call it) shape ....

Also I think the grilles up top are shaped different too - more angled on the 06

06 has different headlight shape and an extra orange reflector

View attachment 66056View attachment 66057
Looks like a full redesign between the 04/05 and the 06’s .. the lowest grill shape on the 06 is a frown and the 04/05 are smiling .
The upper grill is also changed which appear to be mode for the goofy headlights hahaha ! The front fascia and the upper grill assembly had a change in shape .. so my bet would be the a full replacement of all those parts would be required to use the night runner grill .. as for just the upper grill insert , I can’t tell if it would work on the earlier models ?….

Also the 04/05’s have 5 chrome slats and the 06 has only 4 .

Looks like a full redesign between the 04/05 and the 06’s .. the lowest grill shape on the 06 is a frown and the 04/05 are smiling .
The upper grill is also changed which appear to be mode for the goofy headlights hahaha ! The front fascia and the upper grill assembly had a change in shape .. so my bet would be the a full replacement of all those parts would be required to use the night runner grill .. as for just the upper grill insert , I can’t tell if it would work on the earlier models ?….
Not sure either since it's not sharply angled like the lower upper grille inserts - the blacked out look is sharp on a black truck though

We can just continue learning new stuff!l I've never really paid much attention to the 06 since mines an 04 but it's never to late to add to the knowledge box. :cool:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back