Painting the grill?

bosshawg806

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of converting all my chrome and my lights to black and i am now stuck on my grill i thought it was just bolted on but i was wrong i know some of you guys have changed them out before so i trying to see what did you use to fasten them back on maybe some screws and nuts?

I am currently in the process of converting all my chrome and my lights to black and i am now stuck on my grill i thought it was just bolted on but i was wrong i know some of you guys have changed them out before so i trying to see what did you use to fasten them back on maybe some screws and nuts?

Should be 10mm head bold, some on the top edge of the hood, and some in the support tubes that attach to the hood. Hope that helps.

the actual grill is installed with push rivets that CAN be reused (and they're expensive to buy new)... otherwise just use zip ties... i did for 3+ years;)

Im about to do the same thing but Im worried about paint adhering to the chrome even with proper prep. I tried buying black and trading them out but none of the ones that are resonably priced either ship to Hawaii or are in stock.

when i changed out my grill went to the dealer to get new plastic rivits and they told me they would be $5 a piece x30, after saying they were a joke, just went down to the local auto parts store an they had them for 20 cents a piece ... thought that was a hell of a deal but ended up reusing the ones that were on it, but they are kind of a pain in the a$$ to get them out.

I gotta pick up some parts at oreilly's i'll see if they have some if not i got zip tie for back up:D

I plasti dipped my grill, it wasnt to hard and stuck to the chrome good. I havent had any peeling or bubbling or any complications with I would suggest this over trying to paint the chrome inserts.

423932_321764394539972_1056870107_n.jpg

427488_321764371206641_1189586513_n.jpg

557526_326520310731047_1052154256_n.jpg

honestly i have yet to find anything that works on the grill. i have primed 1 and painted it and it started chipping pretty fast. i bought another that i had professionally painted and it has started to chip also after about 4k miles.

For the pop rivets, to remove take a pick and push the center all the way through. Once the center pops through use a small flat head to pull the rivet itself out. Be careful when doing this because the center of the rivets like to disappear. It is easiest to remove the whole grille/front section of the hood and do it on a work bench. Also, if you need to replace any of these, NAPA sells them for less than $1 a piece. Just take one of them from the truck with you to get the right size. My NAPA was out of them when I went so I just used a zip tie.

Looks really cool. Will check my local dealer for plasti dip...

Just FYI you are only going to find the flat black plasti dip, I was worried
about how it would look against the gloss black paint of the truck.
Plasti dip makes a clear coat/glossafier that you can only purchases
online, turns out I didn't need to use the glossafier.
I would recommend using the entire can of plasti dip.
Check out YouTube there's tons of how to vids!!

Ninj it look real nice thats the look im going for called home depot and got the plasti dip for $6 a can I got 2 just in case hey and on that first pic is that some protective tape on it

Just FYI you are only going to find the flat black plasti dip, I was worried
about how it would look against the gloss black paint of the truck.
Plasti dip makes a clear coat/glossafier that you can only purchases
online, turns out I didn't need to use the glossafier.
I would recommend using the entire can of plasti dip.
Check out YouTube there's tons of how to vids!!

Thanks, will check youtube ! Will do it probanly tomorrow...

nothing you do to the grill will prevent chipping... it's just like the hood... the more you drive it, the more it will chip... not so much a question of if, but when...

all the prep in the world won't make a difference... plastidip is nice when it does chip, you can mask and spray just one area, though, keep that in mind...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back