Part needed to fix code P0753 shift solenoid in QC auto?

2quik6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only have 3rd gear which I think is a result of being in limp mode, have a single code P0753 for a shift solenoid.
What part number is needed to replace this solenoid being reported?
Any other ideas of what it may be?

Thanks

Good thing our engines are torquey as they don't seem to mind too much, accelerating in 3rd. ;)

Welcome to limp-in mode!

Before you replace the shift solenoid try this:

Disconnect BOTH the battery cables then-

Disconnect the external transmission plug and have a GOOD LOOK at the connectors on both ends.

Find a pin/needle the right size to help the connector restore the connection.
Make sure the connectors are clean!

As they are relatively low voltage, it doesn't take much wiggle to interfere with the ECU and trip a code. The connections need to be snug!

It's a good idea to smear a bit of grease on the outside of the connector body once it's connected back up. The connection should now be good for a LONG time.

Before hooking up the battery cables, touch them both together for a few seconds to clear RAM in the ECU. It's important to do this as Codes can stay resident otherwise after repair, or component replacement, through several start/stop cycles.

Then hook your cables back up to the battery posts and fire it up!

Hope this helps.
Ronnie

Last edited:
But to answer your question, I'd use the GM Solenoid from their 4L80E transmission and not the Mopar unit.
It does require a bracket and the kits (with bracket) are available from many Diesel shops.

Just be mindful of the bracket itself as some require slight trimming to allow the Solenoid to fully seat. You will see the interference I'm referring to when you go to install it, if it ends up being a bad Solenoid and not the Electrical Connector.

Hopefully tuning up your electrical connector will do the trick and you won't need a new Solenoid.

Let us know how you make out!

But to answer your question, I'd use the GM Solenoid from their 4L80E transmission and not the Mopar unit.
It does require a bracket and the kits (with bracket) are available from many Diesel shops.

Just be mindful of the bracket itself as some require slight trimming to allow the Solenoid to fully seat. You will see the interference I'm referring to when you go to install it, if it ends up being a bad Solenoid and not the Electrical Connector.

Hopefully tuning up your electrical connector will do the trick and you won't need a new Solenoid.

Let us know how you make out!
Thanks for the info! For some reason the thread notification did not send me an email on the reply. I will check the connector tomorrow. It was sealed good as I did unplug it Saturday and plugged it back in, fairly clean connection, truck hasn't seen rain in months, been dry as hell here. Has 70k miles on it.
So apparently the shift solenoid is not special to our 48RE trans if ones from the GM family will work also.
I did order a governor solenoid and pressure transducer. The shift solenoid on RockAuto I am pretty certain is the wrong one, will know when it gets here later this week.

I recommend a "Gold Can" transducer that was used in a 1999 Dodge Diesel automatic transmission; if you can find one.

I'd consider it a component upgrade over the black plastic unit they went with for the 48RE, as the Gold Can is more reliable.

Last edited:
So installed all new governor/pressure switch, transducer, and shift solenoid..the one RockAuto sent was the incorrect one, was able to find one at O'Rileys, but still same P0753.
Dropped it off at a local transmission shop, they say its an electronics issue, like the PCM after they said they tested some things, didn't charge me and referred me to an Electronics repair place that does PCMs, electronic dashes, etc... I will call them tomorrow, but also have another transmission place that does do performance transmissions to get a second opinion.

Got truck back today from the second transmission shop....they fixed it for $140 labor cost only! It was a bad relay, #59 in the fuse box for the transmission!
They swapped the wiper relay and the transmission relay, he said it ran and shifted fine then, the wipers would only work on the low speed setting, so they knew then it was definitely the relay bad. They then swapped out the bad relay in the wiper position with the one for the fog lights....now wipers work fine and fog lights work fine because the fog lights only utilize one relay circuit, either they are on or they are off...and that must be the good working circuit in that relay..the wipers and the transmission utilize 2 circuits in the relay.
They could have easily said yeah it needed a rebuild and charged me for it, but good honest shop...that is hard to come by these days!
Drove it home 25 miles and all is good with it!!

A RARE shop indeed that would troubleshoot like that!!!!

Glad you are back on the road.
Electrical Gremlins can be a bit challenging.

I'd still do the battery-cable trick to clear any residual information from the ECU's memory.

Last edited:
Got truck back today from the second transmission shop....they fixed it for $140 labor cost only! It was a bad relay, #59 in the fuse box for the transmission!
They swapped the wiper relay and the transmission relay, he said it ran and shifted fine then, the wipers would only work on the low speed setting, so they knew then it was definitely the relay bad. They then swapped out the bad relay in the wiper position with the one for the fog lights....now wipers work fine and fog lights work fine because the fog lights only utilize one relay circuit, either they are on or they are off...and that must be the good working circuit in that relay..the wipers and the transmission utilize 2 circuits in the relay.
They could have easily said yeah it needed a rebuild and charged me for it, but good honest shop...that is hard to come by these days!
Drove it home 25 miles and all is good with it!!
That is AWESOME! I have faith in humanity again!! Great news and I'm happy for you :cool:

I'd clear my residual info too! If for no other reason cuz Ronnie would! :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back