PCM Flash Question

Roadkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could explain why the PCM requires the VIN to be flashed into it? ie: what happens if i loan someone my PCM and they drive the same year/model of truck as myself? I was also wondering what happens when you buy the Mopar performance pcm.. does the dodge dealership flash your vin onto it? I tried a search but didn't find the answer.. I'm just trying to understand the system better.
Thanks

yes the vin is burned into the pcm if you buy a mopar performance pcm. for the question on why....the other modules need the vin that is stored into the pcm to run correctly, to match up to. it is posable to take another pcm with a diffrent vin and work on your vehilce (i would not sugest it) other parts of your vehilce may not operate correctly. example your ac, dash cluster, radio may not work if you do this or most likley a check engine light will come on and your vehicle will not run.

AGAIN I WOULD NOT SUGEST THIS.

I was just trying to understand the why of it.. I can understand not running a RC module in a QC (manual vs auto) or even using an 05 in an 06, it was just why the vin code is needed and what the results would be if someone used a "loaner" pcm. Thanks for the input.

If you use a computer for the same model year and vehicle and trans but incorrect vin it will work fine in a 04-05. your abs and brake light will remain on, so you will not have anti-lock brakes. the only codes that it will through is vin mismatched or incorrect. but it will work.

What vendor can a B&G pcm be shipped to flash the new vin?

haven't heard much from ANNU lately?:dontknow: wonder whats up with him?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back