Votes: 21 63.6%
  • 488 gear

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Piss off, go play in the street !

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • 513 gear

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
^ that puts a whole new spin on granny shifting..

No Ive never had my truck on the dyno. not yet
I don't use the clutch during normal driving. My commute takes about 30 minutes. Most of that time is spent between 45 and 65 MPH. I am in 6th that whole time.

6th gear is for cruising,It is like an overdrive. That is what gets your 18-20 miles per gallon.

Very true around 1300-1500 RPM at least. 5th/6th are both considered Overdrive ratios technically. We have an option of lower ration 5th/6th I plan to try from the Aston Martin that'll make those gears more friendly and efficient. :drool:

Interesting. I have 4:10's and I have no problem using 6th from 40 MPH on up.

4.10 Gears - YouTube

You are bogging the piss out of it! Lmfao :D
On a flat road or downhill slope maybe but otherwise about 50 with 4.56 in 6th is about as slow as you wanna drive.

On a flat road or downhill slope maybe but otherwise about 50 with 4.56 in 6th is about as slow as you wanna drive.

I'll grab another video on my way home tonight. I tried to do it this morning, but ran out of space on my phone. I accelerate from 45 MPH, to however fast I want to go, in 6th gear. I also average over 15.5 MPG per tank, and that includes lots of in town driving. True story.

I'll grab another video on my way home tonight. I tried to do it this morning, but ran out of space on my phone. I accelerate from 45 MPH, to however fast I want to go, in 6th gear. I also average over 15.5 MPG per tank, and that includes lots of in town driving. True story.

Forget you're in the mountains so you can coast downhill the whole way to work. Bwahaha :chain:

Forget you're in the mountains so you can coast downhill the whole way to work. Bwahaha :chain:

Bro, I not only coast to work, I coast home too! :cool:

This whole gear swap thing is the most over-had conversation in the SRT10 world. It's proven that either a 4.10, or a 4.56, with the correct tire selection, is the quickest setup. It's proven that traction, and adding in an extra shift, negate any advantages a 4.88 or 5.13 would have. It's proven that 4.10's get the best millage on the highway. There are of course other considerations (like the fact that Colorado air has pathetically thin) that will influence my decision to move to a shorter gear in the future. But, in Reapers case, just like in Cody's, he wants to do it because he thinks it will be amazing, when in reality, his truck will require more frequent shifts, won't really be any quicker, and will get worse milage on the highway.

Last edited:
I put 6.47's in mine last week and I get 28mpgs on the highway at 100mph. IDK what the problem is with gas mileage around here.

Also. Thanks Caveman for bumping the last 6 months of gear realated threads to the front page. Now I can try to re learn finding threads in the forums section.

Very true around 1300-1500 RPM at least. 5th/6th are both considered Overdrive ratios technically. We have an option of lower ration 5th/6th I plan to try from the Aston Martin that'll make those gears more friendly and efficient. :drool:

Mines 4.56 and bogs a bit at 60, it's not really comfortable in 6th until a solid 65+. 70-75 seems to be the sweet spot for 6th and turning 18+mpg

U guys are killing me, I rarely use 5/6 do to slow speed, 3rd at 65 is right in the meat of the power band. Only time I used 5/6 was at LVMS doing the charity laps thing, we got up to 110 on the last run of the night

6th gear at 35mph with 4.10s, do it every day and get 16.5 mpg back and forth to work.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back