Pinging under boost. WTF???

silversrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decidecd to "get on it" today and noticed I have pinging under boost.
I need to get it tuned and wont be flooring the throttle until i get the time to get it tuned.I was wondering if perhaps my auxillary pumps are not coming on and causing a lean condition.I dont have a digital A/F meter to be able to look at the numbers.I have the stock Paxton split second box and a Boomer ecm with a flash. Anyone else have this problem? I was thinking perhaps the computer I got from Boomer might not be working well w/ the Paxton tune.:confused:

----DO NOT DRIVE IT UNDER BOOST----

I would put Race gas or Octane booster in there ASAP..These motors do NOT do well under detonation, especially under boost. Your air/fuel might be correct, but you might not be pulling enough timing out. I would get it tuned right away bro

P.M me for more info on the split second...

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
----DO NOT DRIVE IT UNDER BOOST----

I would put Race gas or Octane booster in there ASAP..These motors do NOT do well under detonation, especially under boost. Your air/fuel might be correct, but you might not be pulling enough timing out. I would get it tuned right away bro

P.M me for more info on the split second...

-Red

Pm sent.

number one The flash hs too much timing for the paxton, ifyouu have the stock computer try it, if not you definitly dont need to drive it at all.

Octane boost will not solve the problem only bandaid it, you need a stock tune computer to work with the paxton tune,but you will have to get it tuned on a dyno to get good numbers

Stinker said:
number one The flash hs too much timing for the paxton, ifyouu have the stock computer try it, if not you definitly dont need to drive it at all.

Octane boost will not solve the problem only bandaid it, you need a stock tune computer to work with the paxton tune,but you will have to get it tuned on a dyno to get good numbers

Stinker,

I will put the stock computer back in tommorrow.I thought Boomers blower flash would take care of all this though?:confused: Thanks! Bill

Try the stock computer , the flash may have too much timing for your application or area of altitude and temp range, if the stock one takes care of the pinging, call Gary and tell him what it did and what happened when you put the stocker on , and he shouldbe able to use this to make adjustments.

if the stock computer does not take care of it, you have eliminated that source of the problem and he may be able to tell you something else to look at, but I think that will take care of it.

If you can put a fuel pressure guage on the system at all anywher that will also answer alot of questions, because you are right in that area also, not enough psi=lean.

Try the computer swap since its easy, then if not find a way to install a fuel pressure guage down on the feed line, and make sure youare getting good power to the pumps. you also may be able to hook up a test light to tell if the secondary pump is kickin on also

If anything on the secondary fuel pump fails, there is no way to tell if you haven't put on special equipment to sense the problem. This is one of the weak points in a Paxson set up. This was one of the reasons Roe went with larger injectors rather than an additional fuel pump, for their twin screw.

Blakewilder said:
DONT DRIVE IT! That is what smoked 1 one my motors!!!!Put the stock tune back in NOW! Call Gary!

How would I know if my motor is smoked? Is it subtle or would it just go boom?

silversrt said:
How would I know if my motor is smoked? Is it subtle or would it just go boom?

not subtle....I am sure you are fine....you have spent alot of time and money on your ride.....time to get it down to DC performance and get it tuned on the Dyno...

You have done a great job so far and taken it 98%....let Chris do the rest....

You won't regret an hour or 2 of dyno tuning....

And don't worry about Prof and his "Weakness of the paxton" rant......these set ups are sweet....and proven....

Agreed.....Roe brainwashes people.....as I was told a long time ago..."Roe hates Paxton and Paxton hates Roe" I think they just disagree on certain issues. When their TSTM system gets on more than 2 or 3 trucks and starts dominating.....well talk, but until then....go to DC. You are fortunate enough to live by them.....good luck

Nowwhat said:
.....time to get it down to DC performance and get it tuned on the Dyno...

And don't worry about Prof and his "Weakness of the paxton" rant......these set ups are sweet....and proven....

I concur with everything Nowwhat has said (Even the rant comment.) The tune is vital and there has never been a bad comment about DC Performance in my memory.

Nowwhat said:
not subtle....I am sure you are fine....you have spent alot of time and money on your ride.....time to get it down to DC performance and get it tuned on the Dyno...

Your truck is proof of the quality and knwledge they posses.I am gonna try and set up an appt and come down there and get it tuned.I was hoping to wait till the family and i go to Disneyland in the spring.But I guess I will make the trip alone sooner.

Prof said:
If anything on the secondary fuel pump fails, there is no way to tell if you haven't put on special equipment to sense the problem. This is one of the weak points in a Paxson set up. This was one of the reasons Roe went with larger injectors rather than an additional fuel pump, for their twin screw.

I wonder if larger injectors could be sustituted for the aux fuel pumps in the Paxton with some modification.:confused:

silversrt said:
I wonder if larger injectors could be sustituted for the aux fuel pumps in the Paxton with some modification.:confused:

DC Performance would certainly know...they are one of the most recognized experts on the Paxson/SRT 10 applications....Boomer would probably also opine.

Silver...more then likely its a timing issue and not a fuel issue..the factory split second tunes are VERY conservative and use a 'map B' which used RPM tables to adjust for timing instead of the main PSI tables. Stock it comes as a 3d map using RPM and Vac as its main source of tune. Table A isn't used in these truck from Paxton, but B is used from the pulling of timing, so I'm wondering what your programing numbers are like.
How are your pumps? Your 'set' pump should be turning on @ -4 inches of mercury; is your adjustable turning on @ 1.5?

Check your fuel pumps under the rail to make sure you didn't place one or the other in backwards...the instructions are actually incorrect on the direction and you need to follow the PUMPS arrows, not the picture / instructions as it is incorrect.

Once again, I'm not a tuner by any means..but I do data log my truck and adjust timing and other items accordingly....I don't believe its a fuel issue, its more then likely a timing issue...

-Red

silversrt said:
Your truck is proof of the quality and knwledge they posses.I am gonna try and set up an appt and come down there and get it tuned.I was hoping to wait till the family and i go to Disneyland in the spring.But I guess I will make the trip alone sooner.

let me know and we will go get some lunch....:rock:

My blower flash left the timing stock. The intent was to tune with the STS-1E. I just haven't gotten it down to Roe for tuning. The STS has 4 extra injectors that come on under boost. I wonder if a blower flash with a different timing would do anything for me with the STS?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back