Pinging under boost. WTF???

Stinker said:
Take this into consideration while I go mail SilverSrt his wires.

An injector that is stock on a stock engine runs at say 50-75% of injector width depending on load.

Install a blower, turbo, or Nos, Now that stock injector is running at 100% or even trying to get more, now the spray pattern becomes a garden hose.

Install larger injectors on the FI engine and now it is pushing about 50-60% again with a better spray pattern and not working near as hard to produce as the stock ones did.

The fuel pumps with the FMU's are awesome and a "cheap" way for Paxton to deliver the product, and it works.
But in upgrading the system, now the FI is capable of producing more power without straining the system, with less likely failure.

These are just my views, maybe Boomer or Nowwhat will chime in on this and give theirs, also I am still old school in the way I do things, if its simple and less complicted with less things to go wrong, I like it:D
Sorta like the old days, you build up your ford or chevy , you installed a bigger carb and better fuel pump to supply it.:p

A lot of thought in your post...spray pattern is more critical than most care to think about. A hose stream may put lots of fuel into the chamber, but everyone is looking for the finest mist so that there is optimum mixing of fuel and air. Beyond that, the specific placement of that optimumly mixed fuel air combination in the chamber is also critical. Hence the use of baffles in the latest intake manifolds. Those baffles direct the fuel mixture to the precise point that makes the best use of the explosive nature of fuel.

This is really getting fun!

Pinging solved:rock: :burnout: .Put back stock ecm, took out flashed ecm and no pinging at all under any boost.
Perhaps the flash was for a N/A setup.

When I ordered it , i ordered a flash for a N/A set-up.While I was waiting for it, I bought the Paxton from VPRPWR and I then changed the order to a blower flash.Perhaps the company that flashes the ecu"s sent me a N/A flash instead?:confused: I do know that before I put in the paxton that the flashed ecm did wake up my truck.:dontknow:

GOOD DEAL BRO!!! GLAD WE COULD HELP!!:driver: :driver: :driver: :beer: :beer: :party: :dancing2: :dancing2: :dancing2: :dancing2:

oh an Manic I forgot aobut doin the neighbors wife;)

silversrt said:
Pinging solved:rock: :burnout: .Put back stock ecm, took out flashed ecm and no pinging at all under any boost.
Perhaps the flash was for a N/A setup.

When I ordered it , i ordered a flash for a N/A set-up.While I was waiting for it, I bought the Paxton from VPRPWR and I then changed the order to a blower flash.Perhaps the company that flashes the ecu"s sent me a N/A flash instead?:confused: I do know that before I put in the paxton that the flashed ecm did wake up my truck.:dontknow:

Excellent!

I know it was at your expense Silver, but I honestly have enjoyed this thread. It has some very good information and I have learned a lot.

What you and a couple others have done on your own is very inspiring.

Will

Manic said:
Excellent!

I know it was at your expense Silver, but I honestly have enjoyed this thread. It has some very good information and I have learned a lot.

What you and a couple others have done on your own is very inspiring.

Will

Thanks! I learned alot as well.

I called Patrick today and he is a wealth of info and a great person.He made some great suggestions.

Do you feel a big difference changing the ecm and are you still going to get it tuned?

Manic said:
Do you feel a big difference changing the ecm and are you still going to get it tuned?

I am going to try and get down to Dc performance in the near future.I believe its safe to drive untill then.It was a night and day difference when i changed out the ecm (ecu?).It seems to rev up to boost a little slower, but still breaks traction rather easy.No ping at all!:rock: I think the flash was an N/A set-up with too much timing added.

silversrt said:
I am going to try and get down to Dc performance in the near future.I believe its safe to drive untill then.It was a night and day difference when i changed out the ecm (ecu?).It seems to rev up to boost a little slower, but still breaks traction rather easy.No ping at all!:rock: I think the flash was an N/A set-up with too much timing added.
You still need to get some gauges, because you still dont know if the split second controller is firing the fuel pumps or pulling the timing. if its not doing either or both, you will get pinging. the split second box pulls so much timing, you could for a while get a way with the stock box and not hear the problems. also, maked sure the tables in the split second box are not erased or modified. i wouldnt rest assured that the ecm was the problem. we get way more aggressive than what you had when we tune, and dont have detonation like you have/had. for all you know your detonation could be from an extremely lean conditon antogonized by more timing from the flashed ecm, that would disappear with the proper AF.
if i can help any more, just call.:burnout:

BOOMER said:
You still need to get some gauges, because you still dont know if the split second controller is firing the fuel pumps or pulling the timing. if its not doing either or both, you will get pinging. the split second box pulls so much timing, you could for a while get a way with the stock box and not hear the problems. also, maked sure the tables in the split second box are not erased or modified. i wouldnt rest assured that the ecm was the problem. we get way more aggressive than what you had when we tune, and dont have detonation like you have/had. for all you know your detonation could be from an extremely lean conditon antogonized by more timing from the flashed ecm, that would disappear with the proper AF.
if i can help any more, just call.:burnout:

I will give you a ring today.thanks!

Boomer is the Man! If anyone buys something he stocks from anyone else...kill 'em all! This man deserves to be rich along with the fame he already has.

I just want to take a second and applaud all of you for not letting this turn into a fight! Honestly, my hopes were that it would go this way...but I was giving it a 50/50 chance.....NIce...

Blakewilder said:
I just want to take a second and applaud all of you for not letting this turn into a fight! Honestly, my hopes were that it would go this way...but I was giving it a 50/50 chance.....NIce...

We are getting better arn't we!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back