plastic air dams behind grill keep or remove

Thomas J

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the plastic air dams behind the grill. Pros and cons to these. Can allow some nice color and even painted design to show if removed. Lessen directed air flow from radiator, transmission cooler, and intercooler and thus hotter engine?. I see some still in and some others have removed theirs. Thoughts?

They are there to direct air flow to the various cooling units in the engine bay. Keep them.

They keep the grill from acting like a giant parachute at speeds north of 100 miles an hour. Unless you're sticking a giant intercooler in there I would keep them.

Keep them...if they are faded just give them a nice coat of paint and they will look better.

There is a gentleman on eBay that is selling a good set for $100 shipped. In case you would rather replace them.

Can somebody get me a picture of them in their grille please?

The guys over on DF would like to see.

Not the best pics from my phone.

Attachments

• 20150915_134558[1].jpg
    20150915_134558[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 20150915_134636[1].jpg
    20150915_134636[1].jpg
    613 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Thank you that's perfect. I've actually never seen those before

The second picture right side shows the opening for the cold air intake.
On how far left you can see light coming through the opening for the ambient air temp sensor. They seem very well thought out to me.

Last edited:
The second picture right side shows the opening for the cold air intake.
On how far left you can see light coming through the opening for the ambient air temp sensor. They seem very well thought out to me.

I'm thinking of just cutting some aluminum plates for them and painting them black. I don't need the opening for the air intake. What's the other hole for? ? Air temperature for what? ?? What does the sensor look like? ?

The outside air temp/compass on the overhead console. It's just a little plastic nub with wires going to it. I believe the sensor is held on with one of the 2 inside headlight mounting bolts.

Now that I think about it aluminum plate might be to heavy for attaching to a mostly plastic grill. The stock plastic pieces way almost nothing.

The plastic air dams were extensively tested and designed to channel air directly into the center of the rad, one of the things on our trucks that works great...not to mention this is also how the low pressure area is created at our heat ejector, ya know the thing on the hood some owners think is an air intake...From the mouth of a designer on the origional team, it actually helps for high speed stability also..

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back