Plastidip.....the dash

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently used plastidip on my wheels and love the way it came out. I have been wanting to get rid of all the grey in my interior and just had the thought of using plastidip on all of it. The dash, door cards and all the similar plastic. Keeping in mind that my truck is an 06 QC so it has no center seat in the front...lots more of that same plastic. Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Since this is the first time I have used plastidip, I am not sure how it would stand up to the daily use that the interior experiences. Also, would it age the dash faster, since black would get hotter in the sun? I do use a sunshade most of the time however. Does plastidip fade? Anything else I should consider? Thanks all!

Man I don't know if spraying the stuff in your interior is a good idea? It might stink being closed up all day in the hot sun? It might screw up your dashboard and door panels forever. Hell, it might cause cancer breathing in the fumes??? I'd do a lot of research before going the route. I'd dye or spray paint the dash and door panels before I did that!

I was concerned with that too. I have seen several people (on the web) that have done it. Some with good results, others with bad results. It is a tie between Plastidip is awesome and Plastidip sucks. I personally like the stuff so I tend to lean towards the same opinions. As far as dye or paint....that is the opposite of the reason for using plastidip.....which can be peeled off if I want without any repercussions. Dye and paint are permanent.

The local paint supplier here has a product called SEM that is used for dyeing stuff like this, I have used it in my Javelin and it worked really good.

It is seems a very good idea and if good very special if you ask me.
First i would try to find a piece of dash or console from a crash srt. Then plastidip that and see how it looks, feels and holds when you rub it with clothes. Because that wil also happen to the center console. Then i would try to remove the plastidip again to see how the oem plastic comes out. If all that turns out good, then i would take the next step:
Also i would remove dash, console and stuff to spray it outside the car and use a real spraygun not the spray can. End result with a spray gun is much better.
I too like plastidip very much. I'm curious about the outcome.

I haven't had much luck thus far with the durability of plastidip when strong physical contact is made. For instance, the emblem on the front of my hood only took a single contact from my snug truck cover to tear. Once a tear starts... it's all over without some time-consuming repair work.

For wheels and emblems I think it's great, but for a surface that gets frequent contact, I would not think so.

I haven't had much luck thus far with the durability of plastidip when strong physical contact is made. For instance, the emblem on the front of my hood only took a single contact from my snug truck cover to tear. Once a tear starts... it's all over without some time-consuming repair work.

For wheels and emblems I think it's great, but for a surface that gets frequent contact, I would not think so.

That's what i'm guessing.. Hens the tests...;)

Yeah those are the issues I am worried about....if I can find so junk dash material I might do some tests. Might end up just using dye.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back