Polishing aluminum SUCKS!!!!

Blakewilder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man I spent 4 hours yesterday polishing all of the aluminum under my hood.....what are the alternatives??Can I chrome all of that stuff or what???The intake is chrome and I just wipe it down and it looks perfect.....anybody done this?

Once you have polished the aluminum you can have it clearcoated.

Bill.

Zoops Aluminum Seal.... seals up polished aluminum from the elements.

And all that time polishing and you don't post ho up some pics for the rest of us to enjoy? Shame shame... LOL

Paint it all Black - It'll go faster.:D :D

Question for you. Were you just cleaning those things already polished, or were you actually buffing it to polish it?:confused: :dontknow:

I had a mothers powerball and Flitz aluminum polish....I also have a dremel with a bunch of attatchments but the powerball did most of it....I cant get it to a mirror finish no matter what...

nice problem to have... i wish i had that problem :p ... but yes I'd reccomend using something to seal it..

Wait a second here are you trying to get a polished finish on cast aluminum parts or are you trying to seal polished aluminum?

Blakewilder said:
I had a mothers powerball and Flitz aluminum polish....I also have a dremel with a bunch of attatchments but the powerball did most of it....I cant get it to a mirror finish no matter what...

Polishing aluminum is a bitch. You usually have to remove the item and do it on a buffing wheel. Even then it's not easy. Takes at least 2 wheels and 2 or 3 buffing compounds.

Oh, almost forgot. It gets hotter than hell. Wear gloves or you will drop the part and really screw it up and be pissed.

take everything off you no longer want to polish and send it to me. i will put it on my truck and polish it once a week and send you a picture.

Silverback said:
Polishing aluminum is a bitch. You usually have to remove the item and do it on a buffing wheel. Even then it's not easy. Takes at least 2 wheels and 2 or 3 buffing compounds.

Oh, almost forgot. It gets hotter than hell. Wear gloves or you will drop the part and really screw it up and be pissed.

I will second that aluminum is dirty and nasty to polish ,it loads up the wheels and compond very fast and uses a lot of compond due to all the clearing .
Silver if it's getting that hot your pushing to hard and they have a type of multi layers wheels that run cooler . By all means with a statioary buffer be very careful as it can and will eat you . I have been lucky to move just a tad bit faster than it with the exception of a 52 headlight ring and at 3400rpm it gets you more times than you can count faster than you can think .The buffer won the ring and I lost <VBG>
Think most of the stuff under the hood is drawn or formed so with out bringing the polish up to about a 1500-2000 grit paper I doubt you will get any more polished than you got . Most all of the silver polish is made to remove oxidation and no base metal so you really cant polish with the stuff only clean it back to what ever polish it had
Have A Kind Day
Mike

try using flour to get the black compound off we did that on our truck fuel tanks and it works great pulls all of the polish out of the aluminum

I did it by hand at first with terrible results.....then I tried the powerball...better results but still nowhere near when the parts were delivered.

I took my entire Charger engine compartment apart to zoopseal every single piece (intake manifold, valve covers, carb hat, blower, blower brackets, intercooler brackets, etc. etc.). Me and my wife spent two days rebuffing and cleaning every part, then applying the zoop seal. It flat out didnt work, we did it exactly as it said to, and the parts had a funky looking haze all over them. We had to take laquer thinner to every part and get the sealer off. We called and they didnt sound suprised, and sent me a check for the entire purchase price. I know others have had luck, but I'll never try that again. If you want it to shine like chrome, theres really not much you can do to protect it or keep from polishing it again, short of plating everything. You can have the stuff cleared with powdercoat or paint, but it will lose a little bit of shine, and if you scratch it, it will be obvious and it isnt easily repaired. The title of the thread sums it up!
Justin

JMB Justin said:
I took my entire Charger engine compartment apart to zoopseal every single piece (intake manifold, valve covers, carb hat, blower, blower brackets, intercooler brackets, etc. etc.). Me and my wife spent two days rebuffing and cleaning every part, then applying the zoop seal. It flat out didnt work, we did it exactly as it said to, and the parts had a funky looking haze all over them. We had to take laquer thinner to every part and get the sealer off. We called and they didnt sound suprised, and sent me a check for the entire purchase price. I know others have had luck, but I'll never try that again. If you want it to shine like chrome, theres really not much you can do to protect it or keep from polishing it again, short of plating everything. You can have the stuff cleared with powdercoat or paint, but it will lose a little bit of shine, and if you scratch it, it will be obvious and it isnt easily repaired. The title of the thread sums it up!
Justin

There is something called Final Seal that is used to buff the haze off with. This comes with the Zoops kit, and it is talked about in the instructions.
When applied properly the shine is dazzling and there is no haze or film left on the parts. The protection offered by Zoops keeps the polished metal from oxidizing and it also seems that dirt & grime does not stick to the Zoop sealed part as much.

I have had wonderful luck with "Zoop's" sealing various items. Wheels, trim, ect. Zoops has a metal polish that is wonderful.
Zoops seal is a Great product if applied properly.

FSTJACK said:
There is something called Final Seal that is used to buff the haze off with. This comes with the Zoops kit, and it is talked about in the instructions.
When applied properly the shine is dazzling and there is no haze or film left on the parts. The protection offered by Zoops keeps the polished metal from oxidizing and it also seems that dirt & grime does not stick to the Zoop sealed part as much.

I have had wonderful luck with "Zoop's" sealing various items. Wheels, trim, ect. Zoops has a metal polish that is wonderful.
Zoops seal is a Great product if applied properly.

AGREED.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back