Possible lemon? Need advice

NSDQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am aware that Florida has no Lemon Law for used vehicles, but I need advice on some things. I purchased my SRT in early August and here it is not even October yet and I've had nothing but issues with the truck. Truck has 106k miles. I understand with a higher mileage vehicle there are things that can break/wear out/go wrong and that's the risk one takes when purchasing a high mileage vehicle. That said, the dealership (Nissan) I got my truck from says they performed a 250 point inspection on the truck, but since I drove it off the lot the following have occurred:

trap door for the A/C broke day after purchase
freon level got too low and cap for north side port missing
all 4 rotors and pads below spec
transmission fluid overfilled and leaked out of transmission pan
power steering pump needs replaced along with line leak and rack/pinon gear needing work ($1083)
Upper ball joint boots torn ($663)
Lower ball joints need replacing ($552)
Rear differential has a leak ($127)

Amounts for the repairs are from the Dodge dealership. Are any and/or all of these issues things that a 250 point inspection should have uncovered? Looking back on my purchase, one thing that I realized now that I didn't pay attention to was that the individual who traded in the SRT at Nissan had apparently done so only a day prior to me buying it. I personally don't think someone could properly inspect 250 points on a vehicle in that little of time and turn around and have the vehicle on the lot for sale. At any rate, what do you all think? Are all of these issues things I should have known about/seen coming/I'm an idiot or do you think the dealership dressed up a turd and called it an SRT-10?

-Jason

seriously? 106k miles 6 year old truck and thats all thats wrong? feel lucky.
want something thats last forever and dont give trouble you shoulda bought a toyota

seriously? 106k miles 6 year old truck and thats all thats wrong? feel lucky.
want something thats last forever and dont give trouble you shoulda bought a toyota

lol maybe I was spoiled by not really ever having any issues with my previous Ram that I traded in (98k miles on an '06 4.7, biggest repair was tie rod ends). The issues I'm having I don't discount as being things that would happen with the amount of miles it has and being nearly 7 years old, but what I'm concerned with is whether or not the dealership actually inspected the truck prior to selling it to me or did all of these issues magically happen after I bought it?

-Jason

lol maybe I was spoiled by not really ever having any issues with my previous Ram that I traded in (98k miles on an '06 4.7, biggest repair was tie rod ends). The issues I'm having I don't discount as being things that would happen with the amount of miles it has and being nearly 7 years old, but what I'm concerned with is whether or not the dealership actually inspected the truck prior to selling it to me or did all of these issues magically happen after I bought it?

-Jason

trap door for the A/C broke day after purchase ( this happens at odd times)
freon level got too low and cap for north side port missing(this they should have caught)
all 4 rotors and pads below spec(bust there balls on this)
transmission fluid overfilled and leaked out of transmission pan( and this)
power steering pump needs replaced along with line leak and rack/pinon gear needing work ($1083)( def this)
Upper ball joint boots torn ($663)(this well they could miss this)
Lower ball joints need replacing ($552)
Rear differential has a leak ($127)

if its the 250 inspection then they should have checked this, but not sure how long fla has for return deal, but they should have given you at least a 30 day deal? but I would at least take it back and give them a ration of sh$t for not doing a quality inspection on some parts

to address some of your questions:

i have over 100k on my truck... and i don't have any of those issues... but i try to take care of it as much as possible...

i would absolutely agree that a 250 pt. inspection would cover every bit of those issues except the trap door, maybe...

i would take a serious issue with those items NOT being addressed under the inspection process... or at least not being pointed out...

problem is, they'll just say YOU did it over the last two months...

i won't say i think you're an idiot... maybe should have looked the truck over a little better...

You are correct on the 30 day return policy. I'm going to take a nap and build up my ball busting energy and then unleash on them this afternoon. I sat at Dodge for 2 hours this morning and I'm cranky as it is, so I'd at least like to be semi-rational when I go down there.

-Jason

the A/C door is the only thing on your list that is a common problem with these trucks, the rest of the things is because the truck was probably beat like a redheaded stepchild for most of its life, as far as the "250" point inspection the dealership i used to work at had a checklist that the customer could have if they wanted to see it. I'd ask for the checklist and if the torn up items on your truck are on there and checked as OK then you MIGHT have a snowballs chance in hell at getting the dealership to fix everything, but i wouldn't hold my breath. as far as lemon law it wouldn't apply at all because the ball joints/trans fluid is wear/owner realted. lemon law are for things that came from the factory wrong and cannot be fixed correctly afterwards.

i won't say i think you're an idiot... maybe should have looked the truck over a little better...

Can't say I disagree with you about looking it over a little better, but then again I am by no means a mechanic. I'm not 100% pointing a finger at the dealership because I could have/should have brought a mechanic with me or something like that, but then again when a dealership signs paperwork saying they did a inspection, I expect that they did the right thing.

-Jason

the A/C door is the only thing on your list that is a common problem with these trucks, the rest of the things is because the truck was probably beat like a redheaded stepchild for most of its life, as far as the "250" point inspection the dealership i used to work at had a checklist that the customer could have if they wanted to see it. I'd ask for the checklist and if the torn up items on your truck are on there and checked as OK then you MIGHT have a snowballs chance in hell at getting the dealership to fix everything, but i wouldn't hold my breath. as far as lemon law it wouldn't apply at all because the ball joints/trans fluid is wear/owner realted. lemon law are for things that came from the factory wrong and cannot be fixed correctly afterwards.

Good input, thank you.

-Jason

these trucks actually do have common power steering pump issues. I replaced mine within a month of owning it..... Thats really not that bad as far as maintenace. If you could work on it yourself parts would be less than half that. Now if you have a motor blow, tranny go out or some other ill shit like that I would be stupid pissed. No doubt that they should have caught 80% of your issues with their so called "250 point" inspection though.....

Yeah I did pony up and buy an extended powertrain warranty, so I "should" be good if motor and/or tranny have problems

With 100k miles maybe... well, excersise the powertrain warrenty? With a free rebuilt motor you will be laughing. I'm sure you got it cheap, and that other little stuff won't even matter anymore. With that many miles on, assuming stock motor I wonder how much life she has left.

And I'm only saying this because the dealer is screwing you. Is it in house warrenty or third party? Be careful with 3rd party I have gotten screwed with those.

But I would be pissed off with everything but the door. That happenedtp my 06 with less then 9000 miles on it. (bought it like that)

They are good at finding loop holes. They like the term "mis use". I was told your lucky if they will cover a standard transmission or a rear end because it's so easy to say that it's mis use.

I think that low 100k mark is the most I have seen. There is a thread on it here. Try searching for it.

**Update #1**
Went to the dealership just a little while ago. I was very calm and presented my salesman with the paperwork from Dodge and explained that I am calling into question their supposed "250 point inspection". My salesman talked with the sales manager and they both agreed that the issues with my truck, especially leaks, should not have been missed on an inspection prior to selling the vehicle. They are going to pull the inspection paperwork and find which mechanic did the inspection and the other details of the inspection and get back to me within 2 days. We'll see what happens from there.

-Jason

Not to be a turd, but in the time I've been around and some of the questions that people email me.... I've seen and heard about every one of those issues, and from what I've discussed with folks, those seem to be pretty common.

Also, a 250 point inspection doesn't equal a 250 point repair (was told to me by a good friend who is a Service Manager). He said most of those points that are inspected will never get a repair unless the buyer says something. So things like fluid leaks are never bad unless the buyer really complains up front. The brakes are passable unless the buyer complains up front, things like rubber boots, never replaced unless discussed and agreed to before the purchase. He said very little money will be put into a used vehicle, that is why there is the "AS IS" and "NO WARRANTY" stickers. he said they would probably recharge the A/C for free and put a new cap on it, but the rest of the stuff, no way, would eat up any profit margin.

Just trying to be nice and so was he

Vj

Only problems I have had with my 04 is. both front wheel bearings went out. TPS went bad, Power steering leaks a small amount. going to buy tonys lines soon.

I have replaced almost every bushing on the truck, bought the leaf spring bushing bout 10 min ago from tony :)

besides the clutch going out, nothing major so far. but thats daily wear and tear so it's going to happen. oh and the rear main seal was leaking a bit ???? dont know why, truck had 40xxx miles on it, but caught that with the clutch problem.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back