power shifting.......

to be able to power shift you def need a aftermarket shifter imo...If your stock hydraulic set up is good shape you might be able to knock it in. More importantly even with viper hydraulics, everything needs to bleed nice and good to get that clutch disengagin quick and sufficiently.

As far as doing it...yep it is a lil wierd keepin the foot to the floor as you do it...

1-2 is easy

3-4---practice....Alot of the time i miss it cause i tend to push the shifter over a lil so i can get it in, all you really need to do though is push straight up though..

I think out 10 runs i prolly shifted flawlessly only 4 of em:D

FerrariTruck said:
to be able to power shift you def need a aftermarket shifter imo...If your stock hydraulic set up is good shape you might be able to knock it in. More importantly even with viper hydraulics, everything needs to bleed nice and good to get that clutch disengagin quick and sufficiently.

As far as doing it...yep it is a lil wierd keepin the foot to the floor as you do it...

1-2 is easy

3-4---practice....Alot of the time i miss it cause i tend to push the shifter over a lil so i can get it in, all you really need to do though is push straight up though..

you mean 2nd to 3rd don't ya ? :)

i love power shifting.... i do need to practice some more.... and it's easy to bend the forks in the tranny but hey... once yuo get it down .. it's freakin awsome!

FerrariTruck said:

1-2 is easy

Great advice. Although mine is an Auto I have raced and power shifted a ton of 6 speeds and there are multiple issues with the 2-3 shift in any six speed from Cobra mustangs to the ZO6 vette, to my WS6 TA they all share the same problems and.
1. Make sure to change out the fluid often and never let it get dry in the resevoir. You can use a turkey baster or something of the sort to suck out the fluid in the resevoir and add new. The fluid should be clear and not black. Much racing and power shifting blackens this BRAKE FLUID fast. Use DOT4 for replacement fluid as the boiling temp is higher than DOT3. This will eventually cycle through but the real way is to bleed at the tranny. It takes literally an hour to bleed right the ole fashioned way by pump-hold-bleed-release. I've tried the Mity-Vac thing and it isn't worth the money.

2. Make sure the line going to the tranny is wrapped and away from heat ( headers/manifolds) they can quickly get an air bubble in the line and makes shifting to 3rd a bitch.

3. An aftermarket shifter (short throw) makes a ton of difference as well. I know there aren't many options but something SHOULD be better than stock!!

4. Don't think about the shift, let your normal shifting routine take charge just do it faster.

5. Be positive to hit the floor with the clutch so you are disengaging the clutch completely between shifts.

I think with all I've learned about the t-56 and t-6060 that the plastic slave cylinder housing and lines are the main problem with these trannys. There are mods I have done to the master cylinder and line to make them shift like butter, but basically the lines and master have restrictions to PREVENT power shifting to get the warranty life out of these trannys.:D

If someone would be willing to send me their master and line I can try this mod on a 10 and see if it works the same.;)

VENOMOUS1 said:
Great advice. Although mine is an Auto I have raced and power shifted a ton of 6 speeds and there are multiple issues with the 2-3 shift in any six speed from Cobra mustangs to the ZO6 vette, to my WS6 TA they all share the same problems and.
1. Make sure to change out the fluid often and never let it get dry in the resevoir. You can use a turkey baster or something of the sort to suck out the fluid in the resevoir and add new. The fluid should be clear and not black. Much racing and power shifting blackens this BRAKE FLUID fast. Use DOT4 for replacement fluid as the boiling temp is higher than DOT3. This will eventually cycle through but the real way is to bleed at the tranny. It takes literally an hour to bleed right the ole fashioned way by pump-hold-bleed-release. I've tried the Mity-Vac thing and it isn't worth the money.

2. Make sure the line going to the tranny is wrapped and away from heat ( headers/manifolds) they can quickly get an air bubble in the line and makes shifting to 3rd a bitch.

3. An aftermarket shifter (short throw) makes a ton of difference as well. I know there aren't many options but something SHOULD be better than stock!!

4. Don't think about the shift, let your normal shifting routine take charge just do it faster.

5. Be positive to hit the floor with the clutch so you are disengaging the clutch completely between shifts.

I think with all I've learned about the t-56 and t-6060 that the plastic slave cylinder housing and lines are the main problem with these trannys. There are mods I have done to the master cylinder and line to make them shift like butter, but basically the lines and master have restrictions to PREVENT power shifting to get the warranty life out of these trannys.:D

If someone would be willing to send me their master and line I can try this mod on a 10 and see if it works the same.;)

PM me info now lol:D

Last Time I power shifted it went like this: 1st to 2nd: Bam, sweet shift!! then 2nd to 3rd.....HUGE BANG/CLUNK/TIRE SCREEEEEEECH from about 4 different parts of the car as I almost went through the windshield when I shifted straight back to 1st. Lucky it still dove OK after the ordeal. I have never powershifted 2 - 3rd ever again in a viper car or truck. This happened in an 03 car btw.

FSTJACK said:
To become really proficient at power shifting I did break and mangle a few parts (maybe more than a few).

There is nothing better sounding than a stick shift hot rod going down the track sounding like an automatic.

If you want power shifting to be a no brainer you can get a Lenco, Jeffco or Liberty gear box, they are all desined to be shifted clutchless. You just need to pull or push a lever or hit a button on an air shifted Lenco.

The minor detail is that the only thing that will really stand up to a big horsepower truck that hooks up well, is the Lenco and they are not really very streetable.
2 posts on my thread from fstjack......I'am honered, thank all of you for the great info, and much thankz to the vtcoa's with a sense of humor..love you guyz.......again, thank you very much.......:rock: :congrats: :rock: ......................:D

nycstev said:
I think hes rebuilding his tranny?:D
I have been shifting race and street cars since 1964...so I've had lots of practice. And NYCSteve, I have never broken a transmission....honest. I have replaced rear ends and clutches, but I don't think shifting is the problem on those. I do a full power shift at 6000 RPM for the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift and then I shift 3-4 at 5600 ( I seem to turn my best times with that method. I do NOT let off the gas, but I do use the clutch. I tried to show SRTBrad because he was trying to shift without using the clutch :dontknow: That can get tricky. I will be at Fontana tomorrow Andrew and I'll try to give you some tips. Both SRTBrad and LoveThisTruck Brad have riden with me for a demo ride and they seemed to like the effect.

Trainman said:
I have been shifting race and street cars since 1964...so I've had lots of practice. And NYCSteve, I have never broken a transmission....honest. I have replaced rear ends and clutches, but I don't think shifting is the problem on those. I do a full power shift at 6000 RPM for the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift and then I shift 3-4 at 5600 ( I seem to turn my best times with that method. I do NOT let off the gas, but I do use the clutch. I tried to show SRTBrad because he was trying to shift without using the clutch :dontknow: That can get tricky. I will be at Fontana tomorrow Andrew and I'll try to give you some tips. Both SRTBrad and LoveThisTruck Brad have riden with me for a demo ride and they seemed to like the effect.
you are the man on power shifting. :rock:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back