power stearing fluid

silverqc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got in the truck this morning and have a bad wine and it had no cheese....looked in the power stearing pump and its real low..my question is what kinda fluid do i get...is it something special.. thanks guys..

Yep, the dealer.....you can go to an auto parts store like Advance and they can cross reference another compatible brand....but I never did like mixing brands...if you were changing the fluids then yea....but you aint gonna need much PS fluid unless you have a leak.....I have had my truck 1.5 yrs and have never added to the PS...still right on the full mark.

I have to top mine up once in a while. Some of the p.s. hoses leak and are made with the same quality in mind as the leaky oil cooler hoses.
I need to have some new ones made (like I did with the cooler line hoses).

thats my problem i see i have a leak in one of the lines that come out of the pump...like my oil cooler lines.....

silverqc said:
thats my problem i see i have a leak in one of the lines that come out of the pump...like my oil cooler lines.....

There really is no point in replacing them with the factory junkers....
The industrial hose place charged me around $75.00 (I think) for the oil cooler lines. They are good to 3000+ p.s.i. so they should be ok for a while...
Now that there is too much snow, I will pull the ps hose (high pressure side) and see if they can also make smaller hoses as well...

Last edited:
atf+4 is sold at my local walmart

rottenronnie said:
There is an actual PS fluid Mopar sells, that is clear. It is maybe just ATF+4 without the red food coloring? :)
Nope totally different, different part #'s too. I have no clue why. But dont put the clear stuff in a truck with red fluid;)

I already converted my power steering high pressure lines to AN lines.... Dodge uses the same type connection at the steering pump that they use with the oil cooler/exchanger. Because of the tight fit I pulled an old steering pump inlet (Any Saginaw brand will work) then welded a male AN fitting to it. The factory pump inlet didn't allow me enough welding material to get a good bead...poor welding skills on my part. Easy upgrade and now drive comfortably knowing those quick disconnects that Dodge uses will never bother me again.

hey chuck, ya ever get any photos of your p/s line set up???????????

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back