power steering issues

Evictor306

Reaction score
My power steering pump was replaced 2 weeks ago. Then the other day it started acting up.The pump would work fine driving down the road. But when I'm trying to park or trying to back into my basement it becomes damn near impossible to turn the wheel. I replaced the bypass valve and it fixed the problem about 75% of the time. It still randomly becomes extremely difficult at slow speeds. At no time do I hear it making the whining noise though.
Is there something else I can check out? Thanks.

My power steering pump was replaced 2 weeks ago. Then the other day it started acting up.The pump would work fine driving down the road. But when I'm trying to park or trying to back into my basement it becomes damn near impossible to turn the wheel. I replaced the bypass valve and it fixed the problem about 75% of the time. It still randomly becomes extremely difficult at slow speeds. At no time do I hear it making the whining noise though. Is there something else I can check out? Thanks.
Was it bled properly?

did the old pump come apart???

if so, was the system flushed???

possibile rack contaminated???

did the old pump come apart???

if so, was the system flushed???

possibile rack contaminated???

Not entirely sure how to old pump failed. It was at a shop getting the motor rebuilt when it happened.
I sure hope its not the rack. If I have to spend more $$$ this soon after a complete motor rebuild I think I may :bawling:

might try jackin the front end up till the tires clear & work the steerin lock to lock, engine runnin, a few times.:rock:

might help. works on da big trucks:rock:

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I jacked the truck up and turned the wheels lock to lock several times. It still gets hard to turn from time to time while at low idle. I'll just keep an eye on it. I think it might be the rack. Thanks again for the replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back